Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the afternoon yesterday relocating my camera.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hows the view from up there? Does is produce a safe rendering for backing in close proximity to an object?
Here's a view of it. I had the camera mounted under the rear bumper but because my FJ didn't come with the tow package I had to buy a new receiver hitch and the middle bumper cover. The camera wasn't going to fit with the hitch so I relocated it up top. So far I like it better than where it was!

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
That's interesting. Mine is in the bumber which works fine with the hitch as long as I don't have my bike rack attached to it. But when it is, which is 90% of the time, the view is obstructed. I need to look into this. Great idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's interesting. Mine is in the bumber which works fine with the hitch as long as I don't have my bike rack attached to it. But when it is, which is 90% of the time, the view is obstructed. I need to look into this. Great idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah that was also one reason why I decided to relocate it. For those times I am towing or hauling my Carpod cargo carrier basket.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's pretty straight forward. Mind you, mine is aftermarket and not a factory option. Home Depot sells the exact clamp I needed along with bolts, nuts and washers. I painted the bracket black.

Here's what I did, removed the camera, removed the rear bumper, removed the camera's mounting bracket, drilled a hole through the mounting bracket, bolted the bracket to the clamp, bolted the camera back onto its mounting bracket, put the clamp in place and bolt it down; leaving a bit of slack to adjust per your taste and angle of camera and bracket. Once I had the angle I wanted, tightened the bolt down. Put the wire into wire loom and zip tied the wire behind the top bar. Wire was thin enough so I ran it along the hatch door weather stripping. Double checked for any kinks. No kinks. Done.

That is the clamp I used.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nice idea. I was thinking you would have run the wire inside the roof from inside one of the rack mounts, but if your method doesn't leak then you saved a lot of hassle.

Out of all the other mounting spots, that probably provides the best view possible. Now I almost regret taking off my rack!!

·
Registered
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser, AT, Cavalry Blue
2 Posts

What wiring kit did you use to relocate the backup camera from stock to the roof rack?

What wiring kit did you use to move the backup camera from stock to the roof rack?

And how did you mount the camera to the roof rack?

·
Registered
34 Posts
What wiring kit did you use to move the backup camera from stock to the roof rack?

And how did you mount the camera to the roof rack?
This thread is more than four years old, so you may not get a response from the OP. Look through the posts and you'll see exactly how he mounted the camera using a clamp from Home Depot. Also, his was an after-market camera so he didn't move it from the stock position, but from the bumper. You'll need to locate the wire(s) in the door for the camera and reroute to the rack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts