·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is one more practical than the other.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Mine isn't new enough to have the camera but I've driven quite a few vehicles with the camera. I get along fine with my sonar. The camera would be a nice touch though

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i have both, and each has saved my ass a few times like the time I'm reversing out of a parking stall and a person out of nowhere decides to walk across inches from my rear bumper. The sonar saved me from hitting that person as I did not see that person.
With the side mirrors adjusted out for easier lane changing, they become useless when reversing. we all know the fj has the best visibility out the side and back.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Sonar has some "Blind spots" to it (may miss picking up objects at certain angles), however, I would think that backing up by looking at the monitor is one-dimensional. When I back up with just the sonar, I can turn around, look at the different mirrors, sorat look "all around" with the sonar as another dimension.

FOr instance, if you are just looking at the monitor while backing up, you may miss a kid or car coming at you from the side.

Just my thoughts...

I also believe the FJ blind spots have actaully made me a more careful driver since I really have to be more diligent when backing up or changing lanes(!)

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the opinions.

when i had a pickup with a canopy, it had terrible sight lines for changing lines.

so i had a rule. i only changed lanes after I passed someone ....

·
Registered
485 Posts
I love the camera in my FJ. One word of advice though... If it looks like your close in the camera, then you are extremely close.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I added the camera and monitor to my ride. And I use them both when parking. While using the mirrors I watch the 7" monitor and listen to the beeping. I just like to be fully informed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sonar has some "Blind spots" to it (may miss picking up objects at certain angles), however, I would think that backing up by looking at the monitor is one-dimensional. When I back up with just the sonar, I can turn around, look at the different mirrors, sorat look "all around" with the sonar as another dimension.

FOr instance, if you are just looking at the monitor while backing up, you may miss a kid or car coming at you from the side.

Just my thoughts...

I also believe the FJ blind spots have actaully made me a more careful driver since I really have to be more diligent when backing up or changing lanes(!)
Ok. Don't have my fj yet but I do have a Subaru with a reverse cam and a cam in my hiace. Just because you have a screen to look at you should still look around. I have never used the screen alone. It's just a guide and makes it a bit easier to see what's back there.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
A good steel bumper is all you need,people will get out of your way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had both but I definitely prefer the back up camera. Seeing is always preferable to hearing and the camera makes loading a trailer a breeze.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
I have both and they provide similar but different data.

With the camera, you can scan a large area and see what's going on behind you, but you must be looking at the monitor. With the sonar, it provides audio only data for a short distance behind your vehicle (and may miss something like a post). But it allows you to be looking at all 3 of your mirrors and just "listening" in case you missed something or something suddenly moves in your path. I also like the fact that it beeps faster the closer you get and can/will alert you when something small like a child suddenly walks behind your vehicle in a busy parking lot which happens more frequently than we'd like to think.

I like them both but if given a choice, I'd choose the sonar, but it would be close.

What neither of them helps is when you wife is having a 'discussion' with you about something important to her while you are backing up and you are ignoring the monitor and that annoying beeping sound until the FJ jolts to an abrupt stop. BTDT.

DEWFPO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts