Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My back up sensors have crapped out so today I ordered a couple from china for about $12 ea. So far the rest of the electronics I have bought from China at super cheap prices have all worked great so i`ll see how these work. I found them on ebay. I looked up the prices from dealer, rock auto etc and they are about $187.00 ea. screw that. So I have a a few weeks to wait for them and we will see how it goes. $24 versus almost $400 i`ll take the chance. Also has free shipping so really can`t beat the price. :)

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, man, I ordered the last pair left, I think. I had been putting this off due to the cost, but for $25 I may be able to fix this.
Your Welcome...I figured for $25 i`d chance it.....Not going to get fixed for almost $400 :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your Welcome...I figured for $25 i`d chance it.....Not going to get fixed for almost $400 :)
The sensors on my truck gave up their allocation of magic smoke sometime this winter due to salt corrosion. For $25 I will try to replace them myself, assuming that the bumper hardware will co-operate with my ten thumbs. For $400 dollars plus labor, I figured that visibility towards the rear was merely bad and not horrible. Nothing wrong with bump parking, I suppose. :D

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my new backup sensors from China today even early. They look good. I will install them this coming weekend. I`m hoping I don`t have to take the aftermarket bumper off to do this but its looking like I might. I know I have a loose weld nut that I managed to get tight back 9 years ago not to sure if i`ll be able to loosen it :)

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So today I replaced the back up sensors on my FJ. I did have to remove my after market bumper that had been on for 9 yrs plus. It was a PITA all the bolts were rusty one had to be cut off ( I knew one would have to be cut ) I installed the new sensors and they DONT work. I`m kinda bummed. If I unplug them from the harness with the truck on and in reverse the truck sounds a chime so there is power getting all the way to the sensor they just don`t notice anything behind them. They look exactly like the stock sensors and even have the same part number. Oh well it was a chance I was willing to take and it didn`t pan out. I will not be spending $400 for the OEM ones from toyota or any other parts store. Anyway just thought I would post up and let you know how it went. :)

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Bummer that it didn't work out. Would have been a much cheaper solution.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With your FJ having rust do you think it could be the harness that is actually a little corroded a little bit? I'm not ready to give up on these yet. These sensors gotta work! Haha
My FJ is basically rust free. The bolts holding the bumper on were rusty but nothing else is rusty. The harnesses are in great shape. I checked the connections and they are very clean and shiny. There is power all the way down to the sensor itself. If I unplug the sensor with the truck running and in reverse the truck will start chiming as soon as I plug the sensor back onto the harness the chiming stops but they don`t recognize anything behind them they are silent. I emailed the company to see what they think or if they will send me another set so we will see what happens. I will keep you all informed :)

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I had purchased a sensor from eBay as well. I was rear ended with a Warn rear bumper and that was the only damage to my rig. I cant really remember what I paid but mine did work. Might be a good idea to try the ones you purchased in a friends FJ. The ones in my bumper are easy to reach and could be easy to plug one in for a test.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had purchased a sensor from eBay as well. I was rear ended with a Warn rear bumper and that was the only damage to my rig. I cant really remember what I paid but mine did work. Might be a good idea to try the ones you purchased in a friends FJ. The ones in my bumper are easy to reach and could be easy to plug one in for a test.

Trying them in a friends FJ is a good idea but mine are not easy access. My after market bumper is a tight fit there is not enough room for my hand between the inside of the bumper and the frame of my FJ :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Honestly, we've been driving cars in this country for over 110 years, why do we even need these stupid things? A window, a mirror and two eyeballs have worked for generations. Same for DRL's.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Honestly, we've been driving cars in this country for over 110 years, why do we even need these stupid things? A window, a mirror and two eyeballs have worked for generations. Same for DRL's.
Cuz people like walking behind our vehicles without checking to see if we see em. And as Americans, we have the privilege of nice accessories :grin

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cuz people like walking behind our vehicles without checking to see if we see em. And as Americans, we have the privilege of nice accessories :grin
Camera's, sensors, sonar, GPS, ouija boards, seances, four leaf clovers, or even Obi Wan Kenobi using the Force from the passenger seat can't stop "stupid". Whether it's from the driver or the pedestrian. If you can't walk in public, you deserve to be hit. If you can't drive in public, you deserve to have your license revoked. I'm tired of all the liberalls making things "easier" so "everyone" can do it. If you can't do something as easy as "look" before doing, :nerd then you shouldn't be allowed to do it. As for the privilege to have "accessories", why can't we have guns?!! Rant over.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don`t need them I just have a thing about everything on my truck needs to be working. I drive a 30 ft delivery truck that I can drive backwards better than most people can drive their little car forward.....I also have my DRLs disconnected :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts