Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I've got one for you electronic techies to figure out for me. The backup sensor alarm starts to beep when you get within 48 inches of an object, then beeps faster until you get real close and it is a solid tone.

Only problem I have is that I can't hear it. My wife can, but I can't....too many years shooting a gun without ear protection and going to stock car races as a kid without ear protection. I have a high frequency hearing loss which means I can't hear high pitched noises like digital watch alarms, certain tones on pagers, cell phones and other electronic beepers/buzzers/alarms that are high pitched including the Toy backup alarm. Trust me...now I wear foam plugs plus muffs when I shoot and I use hearing protection when working in my workshop, mowing the lawn or using a chainsaw. Those of you who blast your stereos at maximum sound levels in your vehicles or attend a lot of indoor rock concerts will know what I'm talking about in a few years.

It looks like there is a buzzer/beeper module that plugs in line. Does anyone know if there is any type of replacement module that puts out a different tone? I'm no electo wizard, so I don't know if this is an off the shelf part or something specially made for Toyota.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess besides being half deaf I must be invisible too

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Get a back-up camera. Works better and you can SEE what you're about to back into.
They are cheap and easy to install. :roller:

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a back-up camera. Works better and you can SEE what you're about to back into.
They are cheap and easy to install. :roller:
I didn't even think of that! Good idea, I'll have to see what's out there.

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Also, be advised that the volume of the back-up alarm beeper is adjustable (by your dealership). From what I understand, it comes from the factory at about 70% full volume and can be bumped up to 100%.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
OK, I've got one for you electronic techies to figure out for me. The backup sensor alarm starts to beep when you get within 48 inches of an object, then beeps faster until you get real close and it is a solid tone.

Only problem I have is that I can't hear it. My wife can, but I can't....too many years shooting a gun without ear protection and going to stock car races as a kid without ear protection. I have a high frequency hearing loss which means I can't hear high pitched noises like digital watch alarms, certain tones on pagers, cell phones and other electronic beepers/buzzers/alarms that are high pitched including the Toy backup alarm. Trust me...now I wear foam plugs plus muffs when I shoot and I use hearing protection when working in my workshop, mowing the lawn or using a chainsaw. Those of you who blast your stereos at maximum sound levels in your vehicles or attend a lot of indoor rock concerts will know what I'm talking about in a few years.

It looks like there is a buzzer/beeper module that plugs in line. Does anyone know if there is any type of replacement module that puts out a different tone? I'm no electo wizard, so I don't know if this is an off the shelf part or something specially made for Toyota.

Any help would be appreciated.
I think I would research changing out the beeper for something with an adjustable volume that gets much louder than the OEM unit. Better yet it would seem that the output from the beeper could be wired to an LED to give you a visual beeper. What about running an additional wire from the beeper to a vibrating device in your seat. There are many new devices designed to warn the deaf of fire, like a vibrating pillow. I'm sure this could be altered to work in an auto seat?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not totally deaf, just high frequencies are shot. I was talking to my son tonight and he was showing me a piazo (sp?) speaker that he has for a warning buzzer on his Jeep. I can hear that no problem as it is a lower frequency tone. I'll have to see if I can replace the OEM one with one similar to the buzzer speaker on his Jeep. I'm assuming that it's probably just a simple power in, ground out to make it work. I know there is a separate controller for it, so I'm hoping I just need to replace the part that makes the noise.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
what bugs me is eveytime i put it in reverse, that stupid beeep.. i am like why does it need to do that.. i do like it when backing..

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what bugs me is eveytime i put it in reverse, that stupid beeep.. i am like why does it need to do that.. i do like it when backing..
Now that you mention it, my wife said something about it beeping when you shift into reverse.....I can't hear it either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've noticed that I can hear it when I have my hearing aids in, but can't hear it when I'm wearing them in my pocket.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've noticed that I can hear it when I have my hearing aids in, but can't hear it when I'm wearing them in my pocket.
I'll be watching this thread for any ideas.:clap:

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be watching this thread for any ideas.:clap:
I figured I wasn't the only one..... my hearing loss is due to exposure to loud noise (gunfire, stockcars). Anyone who really blasts their stereo or does a lot of work around loud machinery is either in the same boat as me or will be after continued exposure to the noise. I learned the hard way....protection is necessary for more then just sex! Wrap that rascal and cover your ears!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
One thing, it may not just be as easy as plug-and-play. Some piezo elements require a driver (some have integrated drivers as well). The driver uses PWM to rapidly oscillate the element and vibrate, causing the sound. RadioShack has a bunch which have internal drivers and would work on a wide supply range. These should be a relatively easy drop-in for the one in the FJ (although, I haven't looked at it to see if it's something custom, I doubt it's anything more than a regular piezo buzzer).

The reason I say that is the buzzer may be triggered by 12V (most likely), but it could also be triggered by 5V off a signaling line from something. One like this works with 4-28VDC, covering anything in the range. It might be worth it to find the buzzer and put some volt meter leads on the pins first just to see what voltage level drives the piezo.

I wish you luck -- my uncle has had the same thing happen from too many records through headphones, too loud!

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Note: The beeper does (should) not automatically go on when you are in reverse unless you happen to be within range (48" or less) of an object behind you.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yea, it looks like you should be able to disconnect the buzzer and put a multimeter (set to DC voltage) on those lines going to it. Throw it in reverse and place something in front of the sensor so it will beep constantly. Read the DC voltage and see what it comes out to when the buzzer is beeping. You should be able to then find something which matches that voltage level and sub it right in.

This would be a pretty cool and useful mod, I think.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, it looks like you should be able to disconnect the buzzer and put a multimeter (set to DC voltage) on those lines going to it. Throw it in reverse and place something in front of the sensor so it will beep constantly. Read the DC voltage and see what it comes out to when the buzzer is beeping. You should be able to then find something which matches that voltage level and sub it right in.

This would be a pretty cool and useful mod, I think.
My son is a computer techie with all kinds of meters and stuff....sounds like a mission for him!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Just a suggestion. Maybe the power supply to the buzzer could be replaced by a Bright LED lamp that could be within easy sight. Even with your head turned you could still see the flashing. The buzzer can't be using much juice and neither should an LED replacement. Not so bright of a lamp to make it look like you have a light show going on inside though. It's something I have kind of been looking into. If I have the stereo cranked up pretty good. Backing into a spot or looking for a better angle to go up a trail. It's tough to hear the beeper.
Zig

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Just a suggestion. Maybe the power supply to the buzzer could be replaced by a Bright LED lamp that could be within easy sight. Even with your head turned you could still see the flashing. The buzzer can't be using much juice and neither should an LED replacement. Not so bright of a lamp to make it look like you have a light show going on inside though. It's something I have kind of been looking into. If I have the stereo cranked up pretty good. Backing into a spot or looking for a better angle to go up a trail. It's tough to hear the beeper.
Zig
Now THAT'S a good idea... :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.