Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, but I have been lurking around this forum for 4 months. Three weeks ago, I had placed a deposit on a black cherry FJ and today I got a call from my salesman that said he had one deal fall out on a Voo Doo Blue automatic and they had a black cherry fully loaded they took in on trade with less than 1,000 miles. I told him that I was interested in the black cherry and asked if they are discounting it since it was used. He told me no. I then asked him why would I buy a used one for the same price as a new one. He stated that it had less than a 1,000 miles on it and that I would recieve the 100,000 mile warranty and roadside service for that price. He said it was the best of both and you get the first oil change free. I asked him the price and he told me the vehicle was fully loaded and it was $33,000. He told me he was calling other customers on the wait list, so if I wanted it I must make a decision quickly. I told him I was at work and I would try to get away in and hour to drive out to look at it.

I left work and drove the 30 miles to get to the dealership. The salesman was busy with another customer, so he had a lot guy take me out to the vehicle which was out back and he would join me when he was finished with the other customer. The vehicle was very nice and looked brand new. I went through the vehicle and in the glove box was the window sticker. MSRP on this vehicle was $32,200 and on the front window of the vehicle someone wrote with a marker $36,800. When the salesman joined me I had the window sticker in my hand and asked him what is going on with the price. He starts explaining to me that they were going to ask $36,800, but he talked to the sales manager and they would let it go for $33,000. I stated that is still over MSRP. I stated that I was told by the dealership that it was known for only selling FJs for MSRP. He said we are, but that is only when you order one. I told him that it made no sence that you can buy a brand new vehicle for MSRP, but a used one you have to pay a premium over MSRP. What's wrong with this picture?? I told him that I would not pay him over MSRP. He told me I would have to wait for the one that I ordered then. I agreed to wait. I'm now angry that I wasted my time getting off work and having to drive all the way out there for nothing, but I was willing to let it go.

We walked thru the dealership to get back to my car and passed the sales manager's office and the salesman says let me talk to the sales manager and see if he will let this go for MSRP. So I'm standing there when the salesman ask the manager about selling it to me for MSRP. The sales manager said we can't let it go for less than $34,500. At that point I blew my top and told them they were unethical and they had wasted my time by calling me to come down under false pretenses. I would not be doing business with them today or any other day and requested my $500 returned before I left. During the time that they were refunding my deposit the salesman kept saying that this is what he gets for trying to do me a favor. I told him if this is what he considers a favor, please don't do any more for me I can't handle them. I will never return to that dealership again.

Now I need to find another dealer in AZ. Any recommendation???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident with Avondale, that really sucks. Call Tim's in Prescott. Ask for Raz. 1-800-339-8467. They are selling at MSRP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Precision in tucson treated me well ,all options etc at MSRP on ordered vechicles no added crap like paint protection,and sale fallouts as well which is how I got mine. and I also too took my 500 back from Avonadale and would suggest avoiding every dealership in phoenix metro I had at one point 500 dollar deposits at all of them some prior vehicle release date and still got jerked around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Wow thats bad customer service. F0ck them in the A$$ and go to another dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Sorry to hear that and thanks for posting your story. I plan on purchasing mid to late summer and had planned on purchasing from avondale. I may have to rethink that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Arizonafj and fjlarry for the heads up on those two dealers. I will give them a call.
Thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
RJFJ, we apologise for any inconvienience we may have caused you and your family. We sold the FJ you looked at to the original customer and their needs changed, they came to us needing help. So in the interest of customer satisfaction we gave the customer what they paid for the FJ as trade in value, which no dealer on the planet would do. Our feelings are that we would offer the new customer a 7 yr 100k warranty and that 36800.00 would be a good value considering availability. The salesperson you dealt with acted VERY unprofessional and has been given a repremand and is on a very strict probation.If you are ever in the area and want to stop by I will do anything in my power to help resolve your dissatisfaction.

General Sales Manager
Avondale Toyota/Scion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
Wow, that's the highest price I have ever heard of for a 7yr 100k warranty, my last one was $1200, o4' quad cab Tacoma. (and covered a supercharger). I bought my FJ from Avondale and got my lift done there, I was absolutely happy with all my experiences there.
BUT, come on Avondale, can't you do any better than that on this deal? That's horrible. I've referred a lot of people there that have bought, they all got a far better deal than that.

Attilla
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
RJFJ said:
This During the time that they were refunding my deposit the salesman kept saying that this is what he gets for trying to do me a favor. I told him if this is what he considers a favor, please don't do any more for me I can't handle them. I will never return to that dealership again.

Now I need to find another dealer in AZ. Any recommendation???
Good deal...I had a "similar" situation where they tried to jack the price up then lower it over MSRP...I said forget it and bought my FJ somewhere else. The dealer in particular was "Lustine Toyota" from Woodbridge, VA...anyhow my wife drove by today and saw the same sales person...and when he asked why we didn't buy the other one...she said because, "you all are stupid and tried to rip us off" in front of a bunch of customers! :eek:

We know the parts people so she picked up the part for my 96 cruiser (rear latch) and left...man I missed out!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate your response PMAALWAYS, to my post and think we should move on with our business. I also appreciate your apology but note that it was only offered after I posted on this site. My position has not changed from my original post regarding any future dealings with your dealership.

My perception of the situation is that you have assisted a customer however that assistance would be at my cost if I had purchased the vehicle. I beleive that you are not offering the "good deal" that you protray however every customer must assess his/her own value of a deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Great Experience with Avondale Toyota!!

My experience with Avondale Toyota was FANTASTIC. I found out about them through my family. My Father has bought several cars from them, two of my Brothers have bought cars there as well.

My Dad was the first one to deal with them, he bought a car while visiting my Brother that lives in Phoenix. Dad had such a good experience that he deals with them exclusively for his personal and business cars, even though he lives in New Mexico. My oldest Brother drives his trade ins from San Diego County toward Arizona, and the Salesman meets him halfway with the new car. I told my Brother in Phoenix that I was interested in the FJ, next thing I knew, the Salesman from Avondale that has sold everyone their cars had sent me literature on the FJ. He let me know when the launch was due, and suggested I put down a $500.00 refundable deposit so I could get delivery quickly if I decided to buy an FJ. I'm so glad that I did! He put my name on the first VooDoo Blue 6-Speed that had been allocated to them. He called me with the due date in port, the arrival date in port (it was early), called me when it arrived at the dealership. He called me with updates on the installation of the accesories. I wanted a leather interior, so they worked with Katzkin to get the first Premium Full Leather Kit cut and installed. It is wonderful!

When I flew in from Los Angeles, the Salesman picked me up at the airport, drove me to the dealership, and introduced me to everyone there. They were all very nice people. It was a warm friendly atmosphere. They had playrooms for kids, video viewing areas and computer kiosks for their customer's convenience, and the Salesmen are not allowed to stalk the customers who are browsing on the lot!

My FJ had just been detailed to clean up after all the accesories had been installed, the gas tank was full, they gave me loads of bottled water, fresh t-shirts and even insulated coffee cups for my trip home.

All of this was for MSRP, PERIOD! They even showed me their invoice from the factory. They've call me every week since to check that I'm satisfied. The Service Manager called me to go over the maintenence schedule I should follow and answer questions about the warranty. The Parts Manager called to let me know he'd ship me any additional accessories I might want. I've heard from the woman that handles the Titles and Certificates of Origin about the status of mine. It's amazing! I can't say enough good things about these people. I WILL BUY FROM THEM AGAIN!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,786 Posts
pmaalways said:
RJFJ, we apologise for any inconvienience we may have caused you and your family. We sold the FJ you looked at to the original customer and their needs changed, they came to us needing help. So in the interest of customer satisfaction we gave the customer what they paid for the FJ as trade in value, which no dealer on the planet would do. Our feelings are that we would offer the new customer a 7 yr 100k warranty and that 36800.00 would be a good value considering availability. The salesperson you dealt with acted VERY unprofessional and has been given a repremand and is on a very strict probation.If you are ever in the area and want to stop by I will do anything in my power to help resolve your dissatisfaction.

General Sales Manager
Avondale Toyota/Scion
So you offered him the higher price because you guys took a "little ding" when taking it back? Passing off your costs to the next customer when they had nothing to do with the original deal is sleezy. I take your statement as a CYA and think you might have been better off not saying anything. Especially since you have other good reviews on here. Too bad it's always the "salesman" that ruins the reps for dealers :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
MissFJ said:
So you offered him the higher price because you guys took a "little ding" when taking it back? Passing off your costs to the next customer when they had nothing to do with the original deal is sleezy. I take your statement as a CYA and think you might have been better off not saying anything. Especially since you have other good reviews on here. Too bad it's always the "salesman" that ruins the reps for dealers :rolleyes:
Sounds to me like they had good intentions but made a mistake along the way. I'm sure everyone knows someone where they work that doesn't fit the company's model. I doubt this clod will last at Avondale. I really liked them, and I don't like like many people. There was never any pressure, it was all about customer service with me. All of my family members had great experiences with Avondale as well.

I'm sure they'll spray some Round-up on this weed to keep their yard beautiful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mattattack;

I'm happy that you and your family have had good experince's with Avondale Toyota. The reason I place an order with them 3 weeks ago were the good reviews I read about them on this site. My experince with them were nothing like those reviews.

I think the problem is much bigger than just the salesman. The sales manager was seating right in front me while all this was going on. I never recieved an apology until today's post. They had all my information and could have contacted me later if they felt that was not the right time. All I wanted was to buy and FJ at MSRP like you did and not to get the run around. I don't think you would be happy with them if you would recieved the treatment that I did.

I had a bad experince with them and felt that I should post it and that is what I did.




.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
RJFJ said:
I will never return to that dealership again.
I am proud to report that J.D. Power & Associates recently did a study of our dealership, in order that they determine the return rate of our customer traffic - sold and unsold - as they've done for decades with other dealerships. A random sampling of 2,000 customers who visited our store were polled, and the results - which will be published in the next 30-60 days - are ASTOUNDING!

Avondale Toyota, which has a revolutionary no-haggle One Price/One Person business philosophy (see www.avondaletoyota.com), not only has the highest return rate of any Toyota dealership in the country, but the highest return rate of any dealership, of any make, that J.D. Power has ever polled!

Don't take my word for it - keep your eye out in the automotive press in the next few months, and you will see for yourself. Better yet, come by the store and see how simple and pure our process is. It's unfortunate - and quite regretful - that once in a while, even the strongest chain breaks a link.

Thanks for your time, and Happy FJ Cruising!

Jonathan Powell
Toyota Master Certified
Sales Manager

Avondale Toyota
10005 W. Papago Frwy.
Avondale, Arizona 85323
623.936.7700
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FJonathan said:
I am proud to report that J.D. Power & Associates recently did a study of our dealership, in order that they determine the return rate of our customer traffic - sold and unsold - as they've done for decades with other dealerships. A random sampling of 2,000 customers who visited our store were polled, and the results - which will be published in the next 30-60 days - are ASTOUNDING!

Avondale Toyota, which has a revolutionary no-haggle One Price/One Person business philosophy (see www.avondaletoyota.com), not only has the highest return rate of any Toyota dealership in the country, but the highest return rate of any dealership, of any make, that J.D. Power has ever polled!

Don't take my word for it - keep your eye out in the automotive press in the next few months, and you will see for yourself. Better yet, come by the store and see how simple and pure our process is. It's unfortunate - and quite regretful - that once in a while, even the strongest chain breaks a link.

Thanks for your time, and Happy FJ Cruising!

Jonathan Powell
Toyota Master Certified
Sales Manager

Avondale Toyota
10005 W. Papago Frwy.
Avondale, Arizona 85323
623.936.7700
JD power and associcates study didn't include me.

As far as one price/ one customer your dealership has given me 3 different prices on the same vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
RJFJ said:
Mattattack;

I'm happy that you and your family have had good experince's with Avondale Toyota. The reason I place an order with them 3 weeks ago were the good reviews I read about them on this site. My experince with them were nothing like those reviews.

I think the problem is much bigger than just the salesman. The sales manager was seating right in front me while all this was going on. I never recieved an apology until today's post. They had all my information and could have contacted me later if they felt that was not the right time. All I wanted was to buy and FJ at MSRP like you did and not to get the run around. I don't think you would be happy with them if you would recieved the treatment that I did.

I had a bad experince with them and felt that I should post it and that is what I did.




.
Hmmmmn... All the Salesmen there are listed as Sales Managers. I doubt that you were talking to the General Sales Manager. I know from experience that there is no systemic problem at Avondale, we've bought too many cars from them. I think you were dealing with a trainee who asked some other Salesman
for help. I bet they'll make good if you give them a second chance.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top