Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Maybe this is whats perv3rse about me...I liked hearing about the firing. (in my best Alan Shore impersonation) "It just gives me the tingles."

·
Registered
8 Posts
AVONDALE TOYOTA/SCION sold the aforementioned, pre-owned FJ (1,100 miles) on 5/24 for exactly what it cost our dealership to buy back from our unsatisfied customer; MSRP + $450 (our cost) for the Toyota Certified Used Car warranty (extends the factory powertrain coverage to 7/yrs. - 100K miles). After commission payout and reconditioning costs, the car deal was a net loss to the dealership - we made no profit whatsoever on this transaction.

We're happy to report that we have one more satisfied customer on the road, FJ Cruising!

Thank you all for your concerns!

Jonathan Powell
Toyota Master Certified
Sales Manager
Avondale Toyota/Scion

www.avondaletoyota.com

·
Registered
242 Posts
Avondale you folks did well.I bought a MT6 fj and after just under 1000miles I traded it in on a AT5 and took a $3000 hit.If you guys bought the fj back for what the customer paid you were being very generous.Like I said I took a 3000 dollar hit ,ouch!In other words I lost the 3k I had put down on the fj when I first bought it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
FJonathan said:
AVONDALE TOYOTA/SCION sold the aforementioned, pre-owned FJ (1,100 miles) on 5/24 for exactly what it cost our dealership to buy back from our unsatisfied customer; MSRP + $450 (our cost) for the Toyota Certified Used Car warranty (extends the factory powertrain coverage to 7/yrs. - 100K miles). After commission payout and reconditioning costs, the car deal was a net loss to the dealership - we made no profit whatsoever on this transaction.

We're happy to report that we have one more satisfied customer on the road, FJ Cruising!

Thank you all for your concerns!

Jonathan Powell
Toyota Master Certified
Sales Manager
Avondale Toyota/Scion

www.avondaletoyota.com
Well I’m glad to see that my post did someone some good. It only your dealership would have gave me that deal the day that I was there instead of trying to stick with $2500 over MSRP. I would own and FJ now and you would have sold it three weeks earlier.

Let also not forget that you made a profit the first time around on the FJ and you made a profit on the other vehicle that your dealership sold to the customer who traded in the FJ. If you put the 3 deals together I think your dealership made out ok.

Let’s not forget that it was the management of the dealership that set the price on that used FJ and not the salesman, so to blame this whole problem on just salesman is not right. I’m glad that the management finally woke up and smelled the coffee and my hat is off to them for that.

Unfortunately you still lost me as a customer. It has been almost three weeks since this incident and I have not received one call from your dealership. If you expected me to call you that will not happen.

I had been to other dealerships before placing my order with you and have been to others after our incident. And I have decided to wait until the feeding frenzy slows down to purchase a FJ. It will also give me a chance to take a look at the New 2007 Rubicon.

I hope that your dealership has learned something from this incident. I have read all the good reviews on this site and all the good reviews from your customer’s that have posted on this thread, and I sit and wonder why did I have such a bad experience with your dealership?

Well I wish you and your dealership all the success.

Thanks for your time
RJFJ

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I'm kinda confused here....so everyone is a "manager" here....who actually steers this rudderless ship anyway? JD Power ratings are usually some of the most influential "bragging rights" that money can buy. ;)

I don't blame you for not giving the dealership the time of day. I don't care if the idiot still works there or not. As I understand it, you drive quite a ways to get there and then things were not as previously indicated upon your arrival.

I also have to ask:exactly how much "reconditioning cost" was expended for the 1100 mile vehicle? What did you have to do....vacuum and wash it?

I'm of the opinion that one "fastball to the side of the head" is enough for most folks to step back from the plate and re-group.

I think this fits into the category of "too little, too late".

·
Registered
8 Posts
RJFJ said:
Well I’m glad to see that my post did someone some good. It only your dealership would have gave me that deal the day that I was there instead of trying to stick with $2500 over MSRP. I would own and FJ now and you would have sold it three weeks earlier.

RJFJ
RJFJ:

Avondale Toyota/Scion held the pre-owned FJ for more than two weeks - to sell it to you for MSRP + $450 for the Certified warranty.

Because the original Sales Manager (who no longer works here) first hid and then took your contact information with him, we were only able to contact you via private messages on this forum, which my bosses and I did collectively several times, to let you know that we were holding the Black Cherry FJ for you; and to offer you your rightful place in line for a new one; and you did not respond.

It was only after we did not get any response that we released the vehicle and sold it to another party.

We regret that we were not able to call you directly, and this is another reason that the original Sales Manager is no longer under our employ.

Mr. RoverGGM:

Your reference to a "fastball to the side of the head..." is inaccurate and misleading; we never intentionally tried to hurt a customer so that we could benefit as an organization.

Thank you all for your time and concern!

Jonathan Powell
Toyota Master Certified
Sales Manager
Avondale Toyota/Scion

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
FJonathan said:
RJFJ:

Avondale Toyota/Scion held the pre-owned FJ for more than two weeks - to sell it to you for MSRP + $450 for the Certified warranty.

Because the original Sales Manager (who no longer works here) first hid and then took your contact information with him, we were only able to contact you via private messages on this forum, which my bosses and I did collectively several times, to let you know that we were holding the Black Cherry FJ for you; and to offer you your rightful place in line for a new one; and you did not respond.

It was only after we did not get any response that we released the vehicle and sold it to another party.

We regret that we were not able to call you directly, and this is another reason that the original Sales Manager is no longer under our employ.

Mr. RoverGGM:

Your reference to a "fastball to the side of the head..." is inaccurate and misleading; we never intentionally tried to hurt a customer so that we could benefit as an organization.

Thank you all for your time and concern!

Jonathan Powell
Toyota Master Certified
Sales Manager
Avondale Toyota/Scion

OMG

I only receive one message privately from your dealership and that was from you. In that message you never stated your dealership was holding the used FJ for me and would sell it to me for MSRP plus $450 for the warranty. Your statement on this is an untruth.

Here is the privated message you sent me.

RJFJ:

In case you didn't hear, Merick Sherline was fired from Avondale Toyota/Scion.

I was behind the desk when this happened, and I'm so sorry that it occurred. But I'm only at the same level as Merick was, so I was in no position to intervene.

I would be happy to see if we can get you back into your fair place in line for a new FJ - at MSRP - as it's probably merited. However, our One Price/One Person system does not allow us to negotiate below sticker under any circumstances.

I've personally sold most of the FJ's that have come our way, and I've got my finger on the pulse of the inventory on an hourly basis.

If you'd like my help, please don't hesitate to call me. I've got an unclaimed 4x4 6-speed manual unit in Voodoo Blue that will be here before the end of the month. As of 5 p.m. today, there was no one's name on it. I cannot promise that it will be available tomorrow. In order that your experience is excellent, I would even deliver the vehicle to you, along with all the contracts, so you don't even have to come into the store - should you choose to give us another chance.

I can say that our sales staff collectively was mortified when we heard of your experience. We all work our hardest to maintain the store's ethic and philosophy - as that's the basis of everything we do at Avondale Toyota.

Take care.

Jonathan Powell
Toyota Master Certified
Sales Manager
Avondale Toyota/Scion

You didn’t state in your private message that the salesman took all my information and phone #. Your post is the first I have heard of it. All I know is my file was keep in the first office across from the salesman counter. My salesman had to go in and get the file from the girl that work in that office. You dealership need to take better care of your customers private information if that is truly what happen to my information. Do I need to file a police report because this salesman has my personal information and credit card numbers or did the dealership do that already??

I will be calling you tomorrow on this matter.

RJFJ

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
^^ Wow, just wow

I hope the file he took didn't have your credit report in it. If it did, I hope the account numbers are xxxx'd out. :(

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
MissFJ said:
^^ Wow, just wow

I hope the file he took didn't have your credit report in it. If it did, I hope the account numbers are xxxx'd out. :(

Wow, some classic car salesman moves in this board. Change up the price, make him feel guilty, and then (of course) fire the expendable rookie car salesman.

All I know is, when I have bought my cars, I've never had to post to a message board to complain. Again, dealerships are a dime a dozen (no offense to you dealerships, I know it's a hard job). If you get a bad vibe, check some other place out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dadagda said:
I dont see it as impressive that Brian McCafferty posted. One post by rjfj has the potential to lose avondale toyota thousands. Brian McCafferty is protecting his company, nothing wrong with that. But if he really wanted to make ammends why not just call RJFJ. I am sure they still have his number, he did have a deposit down.

Had RJFJ not posted on a public forum I am sure Brian would not be giving RJFJ a second thought.
Wow this is too funny. I am the Fleet Director of Nissan of Scottsdale. I have known Brian McCafferty for at least 10 years. I worked for him at Tempe Toyota and although I was let go under some awkward circumstances beyond my control (Mark Descamps set me up) I have no ill-will toward Brian. He came to visit me in the hospital after a near death experience. He also Paid me $1000 a month for no reason to make sure I ate while laid up.

Brian McCafferty is a symbol of integrity and although we are no longer close I consider him a life long friend. Brian is one of the good guys in business known for snake oil salesman. I stumbled upon this totally by accident. I was actually looking for an email address for Mike Little who is the part owner and GM of Avondale Nissan to discuss his website and pick his brain a bit on lead providers. Since both Brian and Mike are in business with Mitch Pierce I googled and found this forum somehow. I was absolutely shocked that Brian logged on and responded but I would not put it past him. In closing I had no reason to register for this and rant for several minutes at 1 am but Brian is one of the people I can count on 1 hand I would do so for. Afterall he made his dealership no hassle. Go buy at Camelback and watch them hold your family hostagfe until you buy. Throw your keys on the roof. Call until you change your number. I am sure this misunderstanding is the exception and certainly not the rule. If you think I am not a real person call me on my direct line at Nissan of Scottsdale and I will personally recommend Brian myself.

Troy Baker
Fleet Director
Nissan of Scottsdale
(480) 663-6461
[email protected]

·
Registered
517 Posts
Purchased my FJ from Avondale Toyota. No problems, and I like the way the dealership worked. It's nice only having to deal with one saleperson.

I also take my FJ there for routine service .... they treat me real nice, and I love the hotties that work there! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
tbakeratscottsdalenissan said:
Wow this is too funny. I am the Fleet Director of Nissan of Scottsdale. I have known Brian McCafferty for at least 10 years. I worked for him at Tempe Toyota and although I was let go under some awkward circumstances beyond my control (Mark Descamps set me up) I have no ill-will toward Brian. He came to visit me in the hospital after a near death experience. He also Paid me $1000 a month for no reason to make sure I ate while laid up.

Brian McCafferty is a symbol of integrity and although we are no longer close I consider him a life long friend. Brian is one of the good guys in business known for snake oil salesman. I stumbled upon this totally by accident. I was actually looking for an email address for Mike Little who is the part owner and GM of Avondale Nissan to discuss his website and pick his brain a bit on lead providers. Since both Brian and Mike are in business with Mitch Pierce I googled and found this forum somehow. I was absolutely shocked that Brian logged on and responded but I would not put it past him. In closing I had no reason to register for this and rant for several minutes at 1 am but Brian is one of the people I can count on 1 hand I would do so for. Afterall he made his dealership no hassle. Go buy at Camelback and watch them hold your family hostagfe until you buy. Throw your keys on the roof. Call until you change your number. I am sure this misunderstanding is the exception and certainly not the rule. If you think I am not a real person call me on my direct line at Nissan of Scottsdale and I will personally recommend Brian myself.

Troy Baker
Fleet Director
Nissan of Scottsdale
(480) 663-6461
[email protected]
I think you need to reread my original post. No where do I insult or smear Brains name. I rather commented on his actions on this board and how it relates to this thread. I do not know Brian personally and couldn’t care less about him. Brian holding your hand in a near death experience has no bearing on how rjfj was treated at Avondale. You have done your friend a disservice by dredging up this old thread.

Since my original post I actually went to Avondale to see what they had, my desperation getting the better of me. At the time they only had one fj but told me they could order me one, 4-6 weeks till delivery. This turned out to be untrue and a waste of my time. I have talked with others that are still waiting on their ordered fjs from Avondale Toyota after more than 6 months. Not what I would call quality service. Whether these experiences are exceptions or the norm I do not know.

Bash camelback all you want but they have given me the best service of any dealership in the valley. They never once lied, my family is not being held hostage and I have not had to change my phone number due to endless calling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dag by noway am I including your post I just clicked quote instead of reply. I really did not mean to attach your quote. I simply saw someone (RJFJ) or whatever having a bad experience. I mean we all know TO has issues but don't take it out on the Cowboys. Maybe not the best example. Brian was willing to come on here and post and invite any and all to stop by for a one on one. If only Brian would stop calling me RoyBoy I would stop by. LOL just kidding. I kind of like it he has assigned a special name to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok now I read your post after quickly replying I did not mean to attach. I don't want to get into it with you after the holding my hand line. You obviously can't have a mature conversation. Just thought I would say a few words. Call every dealer in town and say if you could tell me the one dealer to steer clear of and see how many give you a central Phoenix location. No matter the Make or Model just call and ask. Enough said. I got better things to do now then play with you here. Like I said I didn't mean to attach your post and maybe you got a little sensitive about it.

Don't belittle a nice comment about Brian visiting me. It was a nice gesture is all. He made me feel like hey we are family and not just employer/employee. It may have been the most generous thing anybody in the car biz has ever done. Well one other thing and oops it was Brian also that did this. I had some issues with money and was completely broke. Car, woman, family ,rent, etc. Brian came and reached into his pocket and handed me some bills and said whatever is there take it. Put some pride in your pocket. It was $60. Not a huge deal but to me it meant something. It got me back on my feet enough to eat, get gas and get rolling. That simple gesture got me back from my accident 100%. Go ahead and comment negative again if you must. I am just sharing two stories about one of the good guys in the business. Nothing more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not surprised to see this kind of loose and fast playing with pricing. Car Dealers are Car Dealers no matter what their slogan.
I ran across a Highlander Hybrid Avondale had advertised as Toyota Certified and having 3.9% financing. I gave them a deposit and began to prepare to fly 600+ miles to pick up the car, then the sales manager dropped a bomb. Earlier he had told me the 3.9% financing didn't apply to "Hybrids" but now he asked if the 100,000 mile warranty I mentioned was the Hybrid Battery Warranty because it wasn't "Certified". I was told by the sales manager "it was against the law" for them to certify this car because of the mileage on it, then clarified it was against Toyota "Rules".
He only believed their own ad (their website was mysteriously down at that time), after I led him to the ad so he could read it himself on AutoTrader.com:
"Seller's Comments
Highlander Hybrid * 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Immaculate Inside & Out, Hard to Find, Great Gas Mileage, Tons of Power, Unbeatable Toyota Certified 7yr/100k Mile Warranty, Easy to Finance with 3.9% for 60 Months, Call to Set Your Appointment Today!!! * "

Well, I called, Set an appointment, gave my money and in the end wasn't offered what was advertised on at least 3 websites.
The Sales Manager wasn't quick to apologize or take responsibility for the issue, and only forwarded my information after requesting the dealership honor their advertisement after hinting that they should feel obligated to do so.
I was later contacted by another "Manager" who quickly pawned off responsibility on some supposed 3rd party company that placed all of their ads, and mentioned the ad is automatically copied on several sites, including their own. He did a decent job of typical used car salesmanship making it sound like I was being offered something, when I was really being offered nothing. He said they had made a mistake on pricing another car and had to pay the dealer the difference, although he never offered anything similar for my ordeal.
He also said Toyota doesn't allow cars with over xx miles to be certified, and if they could get a 3rd party warranty they would, but no warranties could be purchased for a car with the mileage it had on it. And there was nothing they could do about the 3.9% financing as that was a "Regional Toyota Offer" and didn't apply to Hybrids.
I made sure to never imply they were "false-advertising" or had purposely placed a misleading ad, but said it was to the dealer's advantage to have such positive selling points in their ad, which he disagreed with.
Instead of crawling back to them and asking for something in return to stay with the deal, I waited for them to offer an appeasement. Nothing was ever really offered, except the if there's anything we can do (to get you to buy this car anyway)...
I would probably be waiting till the end of time.
I made it a point to send my complaint to Toyota corporation and a few days later got another call from the same guy who reiterated that they would do something if they could, but there was nothing they could do, and he was "dissapointed" (that I had sent the complaint to Toyota) and gave me the standard this is a Family Owned Business, and the "One Price, One Person" sales slogan.
I would have thought in this litigious day and age a company would want to honor and appease the consumer, if not just to ward off bad publicity, let alone lawsuits.
But then I'm an outsider in the Wild-West McCainnedy country, so the same rules must not apply.
I see the NONcertified Highlander Hybrid is still apparently sitting on their lot, baking in the hot Arizona sun, now a few weeks later...which is justice enough for me! :cowfrown: Hope they don't send ol Angel Eyes out after me for this post! :bandit:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sounds like this dealer is up to his old tricks again, (thread is nearly 2 years old) I work at a small used car dealer, last week one of our adds was wrong by $2000, someone came in about the truck and stated the adds price in the paper, my boss sold him the truck for the price stated in the add and realy did take a hit on it, Thats what should have happend here. If a small dealer like us can do it, im sure a big dealer can.

col

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's what I would have expected. Then you rake the employees/contractors who made the mistake over the coals and give them one more change before you send them to the unemployment office. I really don't care about my experience, except that it got my hopes up and wasted my Sunday afternoon. It became more amusing than anything else, but set me straight again about buying cars from dealers. Shoulda kept that '60 Lancer Wagon I think!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts