Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! Just picked up an 08 sandstorm FJ auto 4x4 from Puente Hills Toyota yesterday. I've been driving pick ups for the last 12 years and this is a great change of pace. I primarily bought it for my Baja kayak fishing adventures. I have tons of questions, but I'll go through old posts and see what I can find before I hammer you all with old questions. I look forward to learning a lot here!

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Welcome :wave:

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Baja is a beautiful place, and the FJ does great down there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Once you go past Tijuana it only gets better. Life is slow and people in the fishing villiages that we go to lead such a simple life but happy life. The worst thing you can do is think that they are poor, they have everything they need and nothing they dont.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum tattuna! Check out the Tech section of the board. It's a great place to start on reading.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Welcome and congrats

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome! Nice to read peeps take their FJs to Mexico.

The hunny isn't too fond of that idea....as I have been reading lots of stories of the growing violence and people being held at gun point while their vehicles are taken from them in that region.

Is this not a concern for some of you?

Just curious. I would love to drive ours there.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Welcome tuna.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
:bigthumb::wave:Welcome Aboard!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome! Nice to read peeps take their FJs to Mexico.

The hunny isn't too fond of that idea....as I have been reading lots of stories of the growing violence and people being held at gun point while their vehicles are taken from them in that region.

Is this not a concern for some of you?

Just curious. I would love to drive ours there.
The violence down there is a definite concern. I usually cross at Mexicali and head south to the Sea of Cortez though. All of the violence that's been going on is on the Pacific side (TJ, Rosarito, Ensenada). None of that seems to have any effect from Mexicali to San Felipe at all. I went twice last month and felt completely safe.

I've been traveling regularly to Baja since '99 and have never had a bad experience. Avoiding the Pacific area is recommended right now, but get down to San Felipe sometime. You won't regret it. About 50 miles south of San Felipe the paved road ends and the fun begins!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts