Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Re: PreRunner/Tube Bumper Build

Cannot wait to see pics!!! Post em up quick!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

Cannot wait to see pics!!! Post em up quick!!
trust me, I cant wait to build it either, its been killing me. If it were entirely up to me it would be done by now. since im using my friends tools and shop I have to wait for him. Im the type of person that when they get a project in their head they wont eat or sleep until its done.

·
C4B_Rocks
754 Posts

Good luck on the build, I'm also looking at making my own prerunner bumper but I have been lagging on making it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Waiting for pics with baited breath....

Or is that "bait-breath?" :D :D :D
sorry to get everyone all riled up and then I dont even start when I said I was. I promise once I start there will be pics every step of the way.

I just hope it turns out as nice looking as Demello's new prerunner bumper:rocker:

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts

Take your time buddy!!! No stress here/ no pressure at all. Folks just get excited about a member doing something new and different! That's all.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts

well, the build didnt start today as I hoped to. Both myself and my friend got caught up at work and had to do a bunch of over time...atleast i get paid for it. we plan on starting wednesday now and finishing up friday.
:lol: Join the club! I've been "workin'" on my bumper for weeks now! :cheers:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

:lol: Join the club! I've been "workin'" on my bumper for weeks now! :cheers:
its good to hear others are building bumpers too. part of the reason I started this thread was to get others interseted and see what others have done. if you are wrking on one post up some pics or a link to your build up. im sure others would love to see them.

It looks like its on to start tomorrow. I dont imagine we will get much done tomorrow after work so the majority of the build will probably take place friday because Im taking this day off.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

so here are a few pictures so far...more to come when the build is completed friday. once again...THIS BUMPER IS NOT YET COMPLETE! My friend Tomas owns the shop and youll see him in most of the pictures.

Tomas' incomplete race truck

plasma cutting the frame to bumper brackets

frame to bumper brackets

leveling the jack stands with the truck

top tube just after being through the tube bender

frame mount

welding the upper support, this will be well gusseted later

upper support in place

the final product for wednesday night after about 5 hours of work

still left to fab up is the side supports, lower supports for attachinf the CF skid, fab CF skid, light bar (if I decide to have one), 4 light tabs, and some minor gusseting. this work will be complete friday. estimated weight right now (upon completion) is 35 to 40 lbs, its gonna be light!!!

I promise I will post some better daylight photos friday.

·
Registered
302 Posts

can you get a pic looking down from the top?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

can you get a pic looking down from the top?
ya sure, the main tube follows the contour of the stock original bumper plastic. im reusing the plastic piece to fill in the ugly gap.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

It's coming along nicely...can't wait to see the finished product. Do you plan on adding a winch mount?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

It's coming along nicely...can't wait to see the finished product. Do you plan on adding a winch mount?
no winch mount for me...I want to keep it as light as possible. plus thats what I have all the 4x4 guys for, to help me out if I get stuck ;)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

well, final build starts tomorrow afternoon. I wasnt able to get the full day off but we should still have plenty of time.

more pictures should be posted friday evening.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

here are some more pics of the bumper as of saturday. We still need to make the skid plate, weld on the skid plate mounting tabs, and maybe add some gussets.

lower support in place, this took forever to get right.

Light tab

side support

we had a bit of a problem when the final welds on the lower skid supports made the main supports get pulled inboard about half an inch. just enough to make the bumper not fit. nothing a high lift couldnt solve ;)

more to come

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)

the money shot

its dirty cuz right after we finished the build Tomas, Josh (zoshyii), and myself decided it was a good idea to go out to the desert at about 12 am. we went by plaster city and then el centro. my new kragen HIDs worked great and so did the bumper. we hit some pretty nice washes and big sand dunes (much like pismo). we ended up stopping our offroad adventure at about 4:30 am and decided it was a good idea to get some rest before driving back at about 9am.

This project took about 20 hours between 2 people

skid plate and paint will be added next weekend.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

It's looking great! You are already waaaaay ahead of me... :lol: :cheers:
thanks, I appreciate the complement...it was a tiring but fun process. Tomas already wants to build more FJ stuff..some things on the list are trailing arms (rear LCA), roof rack, and rock rails.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts