Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for real life experiences here, good or bad. Roof rack purchase is only a few short days away. I inquired with a popular and sometimes recomended vendor as to why Bajas are no longer listed on their site. I was told they had about a 1 in 5 problem ratio w/ Baja. Can anybody relate or refute that?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I am not aware of any problems with baja racks products. Mine has performed perfectly over the past few years. :bigthumb:

If there ever was anything wrong, I am sure that it would be fixed in a heartbeat knowing Sergio.

Doc

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you want the highest quality, go ARB aluminum with the mesh floor. I can't speak highly enough about it. Solid as a rock, will never rust, and LIGHT. I don't know who does their powder coating, but it's silly thick, I wish the rest of my stuff was done the same!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I own 2 of there products and they are bullet proof and well finished.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've had mine for a year and no problems. Great Quality!!! Also, you can't beat customer their services. They are available via phone, email.....and if you are in Souther California they love in-person contact. John came in to the warehouse on a Saturday and helped me instal my Baja Rack.

Vendor recommendation...maybe they want you to buy a more expensive rack??

You can Buy directly from Baja and save on the shipping if you pick it up!!!!!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I've had mine for a year and no problems. Great Quality!!! Also, you can't beat customer their services. They are available via phone, email.....and if you are in Souther California they love in-person contact. John came in to the warehouse on a Saturday and helped me instal my Baja Rack.

Vendor recommendation...maybe they want you to buy a more expensive rack??

You can Buy directly from Baja and save on the shipping if you pick it up!!!!!
If that was in reference to me I said Baja was good. I don't sell racks.:cheers:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looking for real life experiences here, good or bad. Roof rack purchase is only a few short days away. I inquired with a popular and sometimes recomended vendor as to why Bajas are no longer listed on their site. I was told they had about a 1 in 5 problem ratio w/ Baja. Can anybody relate or refute that?
Referring to original post. But, just speculating on reason. No harm meant.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Have the custom Baja for the Maggiolina, great product, no worries or problems and Sergio is easy to work with and always replies in a timely manner to questions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I put a Baja utility rack on about a week ago. Build quality seems pretty good, it also seems really strong and will take a lickin. Bolts or nuts that came with it were crap, snapped about 5 of them trying to loosen them, ended up replacing all of them (cheap fix).

It also got a bit banged up in shipping but that wasn't Baja's fault, make sure you check it well, I only checked where the box got ripped but there was a dent in a totally different area. Not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I'm on my 2nd BajaRack. Both have been the one piece standard rack. Here's my take:

I put my first Bajarack on with a lightbar and 4 lights, but didn't wire it up immediately. About a month later, I got up on the rack and spent a couple hours wiring up the light harness. I put a piece of luann (yeah, its thin) plywood up there to help distribute the weight while i was on it. I'm about 220 lbs. Not light, but within design specs for the rack, especially while sitting still.

Fast forward a few weeks, I'm cleaning it off the roof of my FJ and notice that all the runners going across are slightly bent down... !!! Nothing else had been on the roof before or after me wiring up my lights, except when I was at Wheeltoberfest and I stood on it. However, the rack wasn't bent where I stood on it, but rather where I had laid on a couple weeks prior.

Needless to say I was a little miffed and surprised it could've bent that easily.

John Gjata and Sergio were great about warrantying the rack... I got a new one a couple weeks later. Overall I'm very pleased with the rack and the service that I've received, but I worry a little about putting items up there. Just my experience.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
My initial view was that there was something lacking because my rear mounts (three piece rack) seemed about an inch short. I added some HDPE spacers to the front and to the back and all was well in my world. I was impressed, though they should have been quicker at finding it out since I sent pics of my troublesome install for their review, that several months later they found a "quality issue" with their mount jig/setup and sent me another complete set of mounts.

The only thing I've found so far is that if you strap down a couple of Scepters tight and they swell up, they will bend the tubing and the tubing will stay that way even after the jerry cans are removed. Do I consider that a big issue ? NO. There will always be tradeoffs between strength and weight. I think this is a good value and a good rack. It is well-made and has done everything I've needed it to do so far. I would buy another one.

Also, their packaging was well-engineered and nothing was damaged from shipping (can't remember if it came UPS or FedEx).

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Bought my Baja for our RTT. It arrived in perfect condition and was amazed how perfectly it fit. Very stout rack.

Now the rest of the story: I installed the RTT, I already had a side awning so I ordered the mounting brackets. When they came, they wouldn't fit due to the mounting rails for the RTT being in the line with the inner awning clamp. Took pics, sent them to Baja and after some phone calls and a couple of months waiting, the new ones came and work. They redesigned their brackets when RTT's are used, so I was very pleased. Good people.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I put a Baja utility rack on about a week ago. Build quality seems pretty good, it also seems really strong and will take a lickin. Bolts or nuts that came with it were crap, snapped about 5 of them trying to loosen them, ended up replacing all of them (cheap fix).
X2

Rack = Great
Bolts = Suck

Bolts and locknuts are junk. I ended up using my own bolts with threadlock. these new "plastic-lined" locknuts are terrible.

Directions state: "Do not over tighten."
Directions should state: "Do not tighten."

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been up on the roof of my ARB rack with my wife and dog at the same time without the slightest hint of it bending...over 500lbs! I skipped Baja because of a couple people stating the below, and also because of the reports of major wind buffeting and vibrations.

I'm on my 2nd BajaRack. Both have been the one piece standard rack. Here's my take:

I put my first Bajarack on with a lightbar and 4 lights, but didn't wire it up immediately. About a month later, I got up on the rack and spent a couple hours wiring up the light harness. I put a piece of luann (yeah, its thin) plywood up there to help distribute the weight while i was on it. I'm about 220 lbs. Not light, but within design specs for the rack, especially while sitting still.

Fast forward a few weeks, I'm cleaning it off the roof of my FJ and notice that all the runners going across are slightly bent down... !!! Nothing else had been on the roof before or after me wiring up my lights, except when I was at Wheeltoberfest and I stood on it. However, the rack wasn't bent where I stood on it, but rather where I had laid on a couple weeks prior.

Needless to say I was a little miffed and surprised it could've bent that easily.

John Gjata and Sergio were great about warrantying the rack... I got a new one a couple weeks later. Overall I'm very pleased with the rack and the service that I've received, but I worry a little about putting items up there. Just my experience.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just installed the utility rack yesterday and its as good as any rack on the market in quality. I wasn't impresses how the brackets didn't line up to seal the foam part to the rack but its not a huge deal. I didn't have any problem with the bolts at all. Everything came in a secure box and while the moving company beat the box up, none of the rack showed any sign of damage. I bought this rack because I am going to buy a eezi-awn t-top 1600 at the end of the summer.

All in all, I won't ever switch to another company and glad to support their business.

·
fka GW193
1,390 Posts
I've owned two w/o any problems at all. Sergio is outstanding for customer service, I recommend both to anyone who asks and have refered several customers to him. Without exception, all have been very happy with the products and service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all, I have one on the way. What do you have to do to get those plastic mounting hole covers off the roof ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts