Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SALE OF RACK ON HOLD.

Hello!

I bought a used roof top tent for my Land Cruiser and this Baja Rack was part of the deal and came off of a FJ Cruiser. Since I don't own a FJ Cruiser and I can't adapt it to my rig, it is up for sale to fund the RTT before the wife finds out!

My understanding is Baja Rack made this rack specifically for FJ Cruisers (2007 ~ 2017) to allow for roof top tents to be mounted and supported. It is a direct bolt on using the factory roof rack mounting locations.

From measuring the rack, I believe it to be Baja Rack Part No: BR-TYFJ-UT-S-0

Rack Dimensions:
Width: 51"
Overall Length: 91" (Flat area: 51" wide x 87" long)
Height: 1.5"

From Baja Rack's website:
"This rack is completely flat with reinforced tubing to carry loads of construction material or an oversize Roof Top Tent just like a Maggiolina RTT. The rack measures 51" wide x 91" long, adds 4.5" to the height of the vehicle (less than the stock rack). It comes standard with 6 tie down loops and 4 brackets in the front for lights."
• Material and Thickness: 1" (25.4mm), ¾" (19.05mm) and 1/2'"(12.7mm) Steel tubing.
• Top Wind Deflector:0.062" (1.57mm), 5050-H32 Aluminum
• Finish: Epoxy primer (rust inhibitor) with black powder coating
• Rack weight: 75 Lb (34.01 Kg).
• Load Capacity: Dynamic (while driving) 300Lb (136 kg); Static 600Lb (272 kg)
• Measurements: 51"(1295.4mm) Wide x 91" (2311.4 mm) Long x 1.5" (38.1mm) Tall
• Cargo area: 24.84ft² (2.30m²)"

Includes installed Baja Rack aluminum front wind deflector.
Has four tabs up front for light mounts and 6 tie down loops.

I found a YouTube video showing how to mount the rack and it looks pretty simple but it doesn't go into a lot of detail. So you will need to confirm with Baja Rack on how to install this rack on your FJ Cruiser as no mounting hardware to the FJ Cruiser, no installation instructions and no sealants are included since this came off a FJ Cruiser. I was told by the PO that he just used the OEM mounting bolts that were used on the OEM roof rack to secure the Baja Rack but you should check if that works or not.

Camping season will be here before you know it so here's your chance to buy a good solid base for your RTT. Per Baja Rack's website "Due to overwhelming demand, we are experiencing some delays (1 to 4 weeks) on some items. Please e-mail us to confirm lead-time". Avoid the wait, get your Flat Utility Roof Rack today!

Located in Redwood City, CA

US$800.00. Firm. Cash and Local Pickup Only.

Thank you for your consideration.

Attachments

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,719 Posts
If I still lived in California and was looking for a rack I would buy it off you in a heartbeat!

Reactions: DasBeast

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello, I am interested and I do live near you but I believe you should come down with the price a little, new is 750 plus tax and shipping, but at least I don't have to drive 2h in the rain and in SF traffic.

Let me know if you are willing to discuss.

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello. My understanding is there are none available in NorCal for new and new is $900 +CA Tax + shipping. Per Bajarack.com "Due to overwhelming demand, we are experiencing some delays (1 to 4 weeks) on some items. Please e-mail us to confirm lead-time". So I would be surprised if you could even find a new rack right now in NorCal. If you are interested, please PM me your best offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
$500 low?

it's used, not even first owner, new is $775 (and last week was $750).

Funny because last week I offered more than $500 and I didn't even got a reply.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm with bricke on this one (not that it makes any difference to seller). Bajaracks and their associated vendors have group buys from time to time each year on most of the Toyota forums. If you aren't in a rush you can likely grab a new one for anywhere from 15-25% off list and of course you get whatever service and warranty that Bajarack/vendor provides.

I would have a hard time paying 80-90% of new purchase price for a used rack. Buyer may still have to scrounge up hardware (which shouldn't be too difficult). Not sure the shipping cost, but you can also purchase from out of CA vendors and not be charged sales tax.

Of course, item is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it and seller is competing with other used racks, other rack brand group buys for their new racks, etc.

Good luck with sale.

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
I don't think he is too far off on price. If I was in San Fran and wanted a Baja Rack, I could either:
1) Wait for a group buy (happens once a year or less) and get a new rack slightly cheaper (but after waiting 2 months from ordering)
2) Purchase retail for $900-$950 (that's $775 plus a lot in shipping) and wait a couple weeks for delivery.
3) Buy this guy locally now for $800. (or cheaper if you supply some beers.)

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Yes, that's low ball offer in my opinion. Otherwise the guy wouldn't be giggling, crossing his fingers and legs, hoping the seller would take his deal. It is whatever people want to pay of course, but I'm sure make a reasonable offer, get a reasonable response.

At any rate, get a quote from metaltech and let me know how much shipped is. I'm willing to bet it'll be close to $950+.

·
Registered
21 Posts
At any rate, get a quote from metaltech and let me know how much shipped is. I'm willing to bet it'll be close to $950+.
Personally, I would rather spend $150 more and have warranty, all the bolts and pieces, etc...

Luckily, I already got mine and I am not in the market for one anymore, just my 2 cents, given that he got offers for $400, $500 and $550 and his ad is still up, I would say that the FJ owners in norcal believes that the right price is around $500.
I made him my offer last week, he rejected it, I went elsewhere. Easy.

That said, I wish him to sell it for $900.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts