Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys and Girls,

It's been a while since I have posted on this Forum, this summer we are attending the FJ Summit and we want to bring new stuff for the FJ in particular , as some of you know we have the biggest selection of racks for this vehicle and we are extremely grateful to this community because it placed our company on the global map, but since the vehicle was discontinued in the US we stopped designing new products because our focus shifted to the 4Runner and Tacoma.
If you have an idea we can discuss the design in this forum, that's how the first FJ rack was developed many years ago.

Thank you

Sergio
Bajarack
www.bajarack.com

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Thank you for readdressing the FJ community. You guys have fantastic products. I have had my eye on the drop in basket for the OEM roof rack, but comments about the powder coating being sub par have held me back. This was from an FJ owner who had his rack about a year. Thoughts?

Once again thank you for your sponsorship :smile

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Ok...here’s an innovative idea that has not been done yet. Not sure the sales for it but new nevertheless: make a roof rack that has sides that fold down. The front and the rear can remain(potentially) fixed, but allow the sides to be unlocked and to fold down and fold back up and attach securely. Why? This allows a roof top tent to be placed on the rack and still useable as it requires a flat bed to fold out from. It also allows the traditional basket style rack to be retained. This would be nice not just for roof top tents to fold out from but can make access easier to the rack for different reasons.

There ya go! Be the first with my idea!

Mike

·
Vendor
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Bad Wolf.... We had issues in the past with powder coating, two years ago we changed the complete process and 6 months ago every rack now gets sand blasted. In the last 2 years we had only 3 issues with racks that were replaced.

·
Vendor
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello MotioncontrolMike, First Thank you for the feedback, We like the idea and we will discuss it tomorrow at our weekly engineering staff meting , we have a design on the drawing board for a flat rack with sides that can be removable, we will keep you posted on the progress of the idea you have summited

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
We hope to get you out to Jambo this year Sergio. too many folks in Texas and the surrounding states aching for Bajarack to make it back to Jambo.

·
Vendor
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iconic when you mentioned low profile mounts do you mean the ones that mount to the floor of the rack or the sides?

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Iconic when you mentioned low profile mounts do you mean the ones that mount to the floor of the rack or the sides?
I mean the brackets that attach the rack itself to the roof of the FJ. I think there is about another 1" lower you could make them. I don't care about being able to access the top of the roof to clean it etc...

20190308_165215.jpg

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,874 Posts
Howdy! I enjoy the current selection of Baja Racks, and I currently run a basket rack (though I wish I could upgrade to a flat rack, especially since my current rack has the notorious rusting issues). But my idea for a possible rack accessory that I think would be cool is a Rotopax pillar mount. I imagine in my head something sort of similar looking to a side ladder but it could use the roof rack as the top attachment spot and the factory fender flare mounting holes as the lower attatchment spot and would allow a new/unique mounting option without drilling into the pillar of your FJ.

Photos for reference. The first one showing the desired mounting location and the second showing a side ladder, but instead of being attached to the rear bumper, I picture it coming straight down and attaching in the center of the rear wheel well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Absolutely no on the side ladder! Mounting from bumper/frame to the body is poor engineering. Flex will rip the roof mounts off the first time you flex the chassis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,874 Posts
Actually I didn’t suggest I wanted a side ladder. Baja Rack already sells a rear door ladder anyways. Instead I was just giving a suggestion for a side Rotopax mount that would locate the rotopax into a similar Position as the first picture I posted but the top of the mount could mount to the roof rack (similar to the ladder) and the bottom mount to the factory mounting locations of the fender flare. That way you don’t have to drill into the FJ to mount a rotopax there.

Absolutely no on the side ladder! Mounting from bumper/frame to the body is poor engineering. Flex will rip the roof mounts off the first time you flex the chassis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nobody said the ladder has to be rigidly mounted on both sides.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts