Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i thought i saw where there was one that could be mounted to existing rack frame only having to remove the lateral stock rails.........was I smoking crack or is this still an option for those that may not want to trash their oem rack since the side rails are pretty tough..it is the cross bars that suck?

·
Registered
816 Posts
WAAG and Wilderness both make baskets that fit inside the stock rack. Do a search on those and you will find it.

One of the reasons I am upgrading is because the stock outside tubes are actually pretty thin and not very tough. My Hi-Lift hit mine and dented the tube like it was aluminum foil.

·
Registered
572 Posts
This is how it all started, the stock rack is not very strong, hence the reason I talked to
Sergio and the FJ BajaRack was born! The Rack is a complete replacement of the stock one. If you look at the reviews of our racks, you will not be sorry if you go that way. Cris

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok installed my Bajarack over the weekend as well and just wanted to give a quick review:
Communication with Sergio was excellent, price was excellent (even better since I got in on the pre-increase special), availability and shipping was excellent (arrived much sooner than I anticipated), packaging was excellent (heavy duty hardware, everything was labeled great, protected great, no damage at all), the build quality is excellent.

Here's the skinny. Shipping took less than a week (all the way to the far east coast), got everything unpackaged and let me say this rack is huge and completely dwarfs the factory setup. As the directions suggested I did not have a "friend" available to help so I tackled this myself so I changed the setup order slightly. I installed the hardware and then lifted the rack up to the roof a section at a time and assembled it up on the roof. Had a slight problem getting the rear section lined up but I think this was mostly due to only having one set of hands. A pair of vise grips and all was good. The connections I feel are very sturdy and heavy duty and I am pleased and impressed that like some racks the sections don't just slide together end over end. Install was very easy and straight forward and the directions were very clear. The fact that I have side steps were a huge bonus (but still a bit rough on these broken down knees getting up and down often). Very pleased! If you are considering this rack get it now!

Pros: Lots of storage space, heavy duty, great company to deal with, great commo, high quality, ease of install (btw although I am handy with a wrench, I am a skirt and was still able to intall this alone).

Con: Only one...I no longer fit in my garage between the rack and the lift... :(

By the way, are shorter mounts available? I'm like maybe a 1/2"-3/4" away from getting in the garage and really would love to be able to, especially during east coast winters. Otherwise I may have to remove the rack during the winter.

Thanks Sergio and the whole Bajarack crew!

Volley

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks Volley! Fj's are like a good dog..they don't mind sleeping outside.lol Glad to hear you like it, and the first time you go on a outing and use it, you will be very happy. Thank You, Cris

·
Registered
141 Posts
First Cris let me say I spoke too soon, I was just coming back in from the garage to post an update when I saw your response.

UPDATE: I must take back my "con" from above. When I tested this yesterday (the hard way mind you) I could have sworn my rack was scraping on the opening of the garage. Being hardheaded I decided to go out and try again. Turns out I was scraping on the door and not the opening! Yay! So I was able to adjust the door to open a bit higher and now I eeeek my way into the garage! No scrape! Today I am a very happy FJ and Bajarack owner! Ha! It's all about the small victories right!? Now I just need to get that RTT and hit the outdoors!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, since I put on my BajaRack ladder I've been doing a lot of this!!!

Image credit: Adventure Duo

It's still in one piece, a miracle! :lol::rofl::lol:

Just don't look at the poop can for too long...

·
Registered
6 Posts
So a quick question - :thinkerg: If I have the factory rack, does this BajaRack utilize the exact same holes so that you do not have to make any new ones?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So a quick question - :thinkerg: If I have the factory rack, does this BajaRack utilize the exact same holes so that you do not have to make any new ones?

Thanks,
Yes, that's right... 2 bolts in each of those six places, exactly the same.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I really like this rack! Think the price is amazing and it is very practical! I just wish that it followed the lines of the roof (The Gobi Stealth rack is a good example of a rack that follows the curvature of the roof).

Are there any plans to make a Bajarack that is curved and not completely flat?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I really like this rack! Think the price is amazing and it is very practical! I just wish that it followed the lines of the roof (The Gobi Stealth rack is a good example of a rack that follows the curvature of the roof).

Are there any plans to make a Bajarack that is curved and not completely flat?
I wish they'd make a knockoff of the stealth. Same height and following the curves of the FJ, but without the same design on the front. That upper part that is lifted for lights just creates a tunnel for noise. I'd rather have the option of mounting lights up on top if I wanted them. I am not much for the light setup, so go for it Baja. Make your own low height stealth style rack without that upper part. I'd order one on Tuesday (PAYDAY!) if you had such a beast.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Check out new Baja MG Rack. Both Corey and Shred have purchased and posted about this new design. (Search RTT:Autohome Air Top Review) Although designed for Autohome Roof Top Tents, it seems that it would work for other uses as well. Sergio at Baja does a very good job of listening to the specific needs of FJ owners.
For Drummer22 and Bam Bam, this model is flat and does not follow the contour of the roof but a post mod could take care of the look. It seems that a sheet of metal could be cut and attached to the sides to solve the aesthetics for you. For me I like the "crew cut look" of the flat roof design and the potential for a wide variety of uses. Not only is it perfect for a RTT, but also a canoe/kayak, a sheet of plywood,etc...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check out new Baja MG Rack. Both Corey and Shred have purchased and posted about this new design. (Search RTT:Autohome Air Top Review) Although designed for Autohome Roof Top Tents, it seems that it would work for other uses as well. Sergio at Baja does a very good job of listening to the specific needs of FJ owners.
For Drummer22 and Bam Bam, this model is flat and does not follow the contour of the roof but a post mod could take care of the look. It seems that a sheet of metal could be cut and attached to the sides to solve the aesthetics for you. For me I like the "crew cut look" of the flat roof design and the potential for a wide variety of uses. Not only is it perfect for a RTT, but also a canoe/kayak, a sheet of plywood,etc...
Thats not a bad idea! Just tack a black sheet of metal along the sides of the rack that match the lines of the roof. Anyone here good at photoshop wanna simulate this? :)

And yeah, the flat roof definitely is more functional for the reasons you stated. Everything is just a tradeoff :bandit:

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't mind it being flat. I just don't want it to be any taller than a stealth because with the stealth my FJ clears the garage by literally less than an inch. I have a weird 1970's garage size. When I went to get my garage door replaced the guy laughed and said that garage size was used on like 1% of houses and they had to send out for my door to be custom made and it would take several weeks. If you ever see a garage that has a fiberglass door that allows light in, then that's the size. They were a weird idea that somebody thought up that would provide light and heat in a garage like a greenhouse during the first fuel crisis in the early 70's. Now I am stuck having to measure vehicles before purchasing one, and I'm the only one in the neighborhood who has to do so. What a drag!

So basically... I need something that is very specific in height, and if I want to park in the garage I can't even do a mild lift, unless I leave the rack off entirely. So for me it is a decision between, lift, rack, and parking in the snow. I've considered building and additional garage with a higher opening and ceiling on the side of my house, but can't get permission from the city because it would sit too close to the property line, but I can build a car port, so I may go that route and just go for the tall rack and stop worrying about it. Grrrrrrrr.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
The new MG rack by BajaRack is indeed very nice.
A few pics from my vacation at Mt. Rainier National Park a few weeks back.

It is pretty level, not curved like the factory rack.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts