Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a hole in the control arm balljoint boot. So I went to the dealer to order a new boot and what do you know. You can't get just the boot you have to buy the entire control arm setup. Anyone know anyway of fixing this?? Black silicone maybe? The hole is about the size of a BB. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
There should be lot's of free or cheap uppers floating around the forum.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha yeah I grease it up every morning but its on the outside which seems to get pinched more and it all comes out. Should I find a thicker grease? Good thinking gon2srf kind of forgot about that option. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Yup, I just discovered this myself as well... UCA is a complete package, that's it. I destroyed my ball joint from hitting it on the spring!! (long story, doesn't involve sway bars ;) )

I second trying to find a UCA from somebody on here... TONS have been replaced - post up in the wanted section. Hopefully someone will let one go for nothing (about what they're worth).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Duct tape. The universal fix.:rocker:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I love duct tape but it does not adhere well to rubber, especially greasy rubber. :)
That's correct. Add some zip ties.:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I'd suggest some synth lube or moly B and just hit it up about once every 3 weeks, it seems as if it's gettin dry but all the excess just gets pushed out. no need to hit it up evry couple days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
try to get both ends circumference measurements, approx length,ect then go to a good axle rebuild shop and see if they can match up a boot to fit it. better yet take in the entire axle. they should be able to find something. i have two broken frt axles but no one makes rebuild parts for them yet but there are boots out there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks another problem looking for a quick fix. I took my front and rear sways off(ya everyone said not to but oh well) Well when full flexed on the rear the springs have a tendancy to slide off the upper seat still on it but just not seated properly. I am gonna weld in some spring retainers but any ideas on how to keep the coil seated on the upper seats. Any input?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That's correct. Add some zip ties.:lol:
Have you looked closely at the UCA boot? Not much room for zip ties and the range of motion is severe. Duct tape is good stuff for a trail fix but in my opinion is not a permanent fix. Searching for a replacement UCA is a real work fix vs. jury rigging. I suggest calling Total Chaos, Icon and Demello and see if they have a spare UCA hanging out. Also post up a wanted ad in the parts area.

try to get both ends circumference measurements, approx length,ect then go to a good axle rebuild shop and see if they can match up a boot to fit it. better yet take in the entire axle. they should be able to find something. i have two broken frt axles but no one makes rebuild parts for them yet but there are boots out there.
Are you suggesting he take in his axle to fix a torn UCA boot? :lol: The UCA has a ball joint and a special boot, IMO there is not much chance of an axle shop fitting one but if they could, the cost to pull apart the ball joint and replace it seems prohibitive especially when there are so many generous people here who have upgraded to after-market UCA's.

Thanks another problem looking for a quick fix. I took my front and rear sways off(ya everyone said not to but oh well) Well when full flexed on the rear the springs have a tendancy to slide off the upper seat still on it but just not seated properly. I am gonna weld in some spring retainers but any ideas on how to keep the coil seated on the upper seats. Any input?
Posting up a new thread regarding "your subject" under suspensions, you might get a better response.
:)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
check some motorcycle sites and stores....i dont have it in front of me but there is a new grease for motorcycle chains that is high viscosity and clings to the chain much better than typical grease while giving the same or better lubrication and protection...keeps it from being slung all over your bike or back while riding.
I am not sure if it would be detrimental as I think it is silicone based...but worth a look but it is called fuchs silkolene....likely wont work but the technology is out there I am sure.

also there are some AMSOIL greases I thought about that might work as this one...which is waterproof and clings much better to metal surfaces even when wet so less chance of being washed off or slung off out of boot. Someone would need to verify if it is compatible or not as I dont have time to research right now...but these are two possibilities
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gwr.aspx Water Resistant

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/grg.aspx RACING

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ghd.aspx OFF ROAD VEHICLES

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
You could fabricate some spring relocation cones.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I question what the OP says about part not being available. I replaced one last year after Ouray/Moab and got just the boot from Ralph Hayes Toyota.
Got a part number?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts