Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the Bandi mount and I have tail light guards on. I know that I will have to chop it to work. Has anyone done this if so what was the cleanest and best way to cut it down and how did it hold? I am looking for any experience that someone can pass on. Thanks

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have a grinding wheel and cut off tool in my garage and had to grind about a 1/4" off the bottom to clear the guards and sometimes the Bandi still hits the lite guards. I also had to grind on the inside so it would fit flush. Either, whoever made it did a poor job in making the bends or I got some cheep china knock off that I paid full price for. Either way it took me about an hour to modify it and get it right. Can't say I was a happy camper after all this work considering it was meant to be a bolt on item. Good luck with yours.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I've cut many Bandi mounts to clear taillight guards (Manik T/L guards to be specific), and the mounts hold up just fine. I'm hoping that a new model of the Bandi mount will be designed to clear T/L guards so mods won't be necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
:bigthumb:

-

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've cut many Bandi mounts to clear taillight guards (Manik T/L guards to be specific), and the mounts hold up just fine. I'm hoping that a new model of the Bandi mount will be designed to clear T/L guards so mods won't be necessary.
Larry,

I have the Manik as well. Did you just take a 1/4 off the bottom straight across or is there an "chunk" that you had to take out? I should have the mount today and this may clear up the confusion. Also what is the best way to take it down grinder? Sander? Thanks for the help I need to have someone reduce it for me and I want to make sure that they do it right. Is there a better mount or alternate mount that might work? I have seen some that are allowed to slide over the door frame and then tightened down with screws. I just don't want to order four different ones online to find out that they don't work. I am still trying to get smart on radios and all the electronics that I would like to have in the truck. Thanks for helping a new guy get smart so that I can do it right the first time.

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
16,569 Posts
Here is what Volhoo did. I don't take credit for it but here is what you need.
I did the same cut on the Bandi Mount several months ago that Volhoo illustrates and it works great. Chris

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I did the same cut on the Bandi Mount several months ago that Volhoo illustrates and it works great. Chris
Actually CruiserLarry at Dirty Parts did my install and Modified my Bandi Mount to fit the Manik tail light guards - I am just reporting what he did - and posted this illustration to help others do the same - Thanks Larry - :bigthumb:

:cheers:

-

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a link or pics of his? I have a friend cutting down this week but it is not to late. I hope to have it done prior to the summit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I made the chop and the door opens fine, but the coax cable rubs against the tail light guards and squeaks loud! How did y'all fix this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was hoping to revive this thread - anybody had luck in the last year with various other mounts? Are we still just chopping down the Bandi? Seems like most people have the Manik guards - anybody have the Polar guards like me? Just curious if it still works. Anybody want to loan me a grinder?

Heading out on a 2,400 miles expedition - think i might need a cb and some beer.

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts