Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...

I am studying for my Technicians test as we speak and was looking around for my first radio. I am sure lots of you have your opinions on this little guy but I was on Amazon and for $35 with free one day shipping I couldn't resist. Thank you Prime!

Anyone have an experience with these radios? Anything I should know?

I am planning on putting a mobile setup in my FJ once I pass my test and get the hang of operating Ham Radio!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Ok...

I am studying for my Technicians test as we speak and was looking around for my first radio. I am sure lots of you have your opinions on this little guy but I was on Amazon and for $35 with free one day shipping I couldn't resist. Thank you Prime!

Anyone have an experience with these radios? Anything I should know?

I am planning on putting a mobile setup in my FJ once I pass my test and get the hang of operating Ham Radio!
Absolutely the best bang for the buck! My only suggestion is to get an external antenna. We have easily talked over 10-15 miles between my rig (running a Yaesu) and one of these working with a good external antenna.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely the best bang for the buck! My only suggestion is to get an external antenna. We have easily talked over 10-15 miles between my rig (running a Yaesu) and one of these working with a good external antenna.

What antenna do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,570 Posts
I run the GT-3 which is basically the same thing, i have an antenna mounted on the rear door hinge. I'm very much a Ham novice but the guys in the club here rate them highly and the external antenna certainly gives me good reception. And for the money it is no loss you want to upgrade to an vehicle system.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm in the same boat, bought the UV-5R off amazon and am studying for my license. I would also recommend the USB cable off amazon and downloading the CHIRP software to quickly and easily program the 100 available memory channels that Baofeng can store.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Very pleased with mine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought the radio and got the ARRL book...here we go!

Reactions: Vegas_Nick

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
As these radios are not locked to the ham bands you must be careful to not transmit outside of the bands - police, fire, FAA, etc. Other than that you pay for what you get. Audio quality is fair and signal is not as clean as other radios.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I got the Tram 1185 antenna, much better than the cheap ones with the tiny magnets. Get the adapter too to connect to the Baofeng.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
We have been using the UV-5R's for 2-3 years. even our oldest ones that have been drop, kicked, drop kicked, buried in the snow and banged on ski lifts and rocks. Still shows to be reasonably accurate when hooked to a spectrum analyzer. It may be cheaper and not exactly milspec, but from what we have put them through. I have been seriously impressed.
And as cheap as they are, if someone lost one on an outing, it isn't painful on your check book to replace. So, we have several of these floating around.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As these radios are not locked to the ham bands you must be careful to not transmit outside of the bands - police, fire, FAA, etc. Other than that you pay for what you get. Audio quality is fair and signal is not as clean as other radios.

Good to know! Thanks. I love watching trains so it's cool that I can use the radio as a scanner for the local rail lines!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Decent radio. I suggest the UV5R5 newer one. Get an Ed Fong wire Jpole antenna from Ebay for extended range from a base or stationary point. The extended battery is cheap and lasts for days. Hard to go wrong with this radio.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Decent radio. I suggest the UV5R5 newer one. Get an Ed Fong wire Jpole antenna from Ebay for extended range from a base or stationary point. The extended battery is cheap and lasts for days. Hard to go wrong with this radio.
I have one of the Ed Fong PVC antenna's and it works great!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...I got the radio...I tried to find some stuff to listen in on but...that seems to be harder than I thought...I suppose I'll keep studying

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Start with something simple like the National Weather service.
Then branch out and find out what the local repeaters are in your area.
Don't get discouraged, not everyone talks all the time.
We have tons of repeaters and operators in my area and it's not uncommon for a repeater to be silent for days.
Although they will periodically self identify.
Also, you can go to crowded areas and look for frs useage.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Grab an android app like repeaterbook, find the local ones and tune in!

I have a $30 Baofeng as a HH backup to my mobile unit and also use as a loaner. The battery life is very good and it just keeps on chugging with 2 years' use now.

Reactions: boilermaker

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Friends,

Can anyone recommend a different antenna to attach to the radio? I'm looking for something to attach directly to the unit, not an external antenna mounted somewhere else.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The stock one is actually pretty good. You can get a Nagoya 15" one on Amazon or Ebay that may give a little better performance, however the roll up Ed Fong will really reach out. This is good for hiking emergency use etc, but not walking around. Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The stock one is actually pretty good. You can get a Nagoya 15" one on Amazon or Ebay that may give a little better performance, however the roll up Ed Fong will really reach out. This is good for hiking emergency use etc, but not walking around. Good luck.

I live pretty close to an electrical sub station so the stock antenna as proven to be not effective. I'll try the Nagoya and Ed Fong!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Advice:
1. Join and read the Yahoo Group on the Baofeng UV5R. It's got a lot of info.
2. Eventually grow to a higher quality radio with and use Baofeng as a backup. You will get a better scan speed as well.
3. Also read Miklor.com for a condensed help version for the radio.

BillC

WG2N

1 - 20 of 27 Posts