Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding around with a generic steering wheel cover to hide my beat up stock wheel. It was heavily pitted at the 3 and 9 positions and had the "12 o'clock thumb print". I decided to try a flexible upholstery paint by SEM to repair it. Not sure if anyone has done this so here's the process. I am pleased with the results though I left two spots on the bottom of the horizontal spokes. I wasn't sure how the stuff would go on and didn't want to remove too much original rubber. But I should have persisted considering the 12 o'clock spot was 10x worse. Thankfully they look worse in pics and are hardly noticeable when driving.

Materials
  • Painter's tape
  • Drop cloth and/or old newspapers
  • Dish soap
  • SEM soap 39362
  • 1000 & 2000 grit sandpaper
  • Scrub pad (I used a kitchen type)
  • SEM Dark Slate Gray 17373
Process
  • Center the steering wheel with the tilt control.
  • Wash the wheel rim with dish soap and rinse off with water.
  • Wet sand rough areas with 1000 grit. Switch to 2000 to create a real smooth finish. ( I chickened out with the 2000 and left a rougher surface. I wasn't sure how the SEM paint would go on and thought a rougher surface would allow better bite. But I think the perfectly smooth areas I hit with 2000 are actually better. Either way it looks worse in pics. The 1000 areas look smooth when driving.).
  • Wipe off grit with wet towel.
  • Apply SEM soap to wet scrub pad and scrub rim thoroughly. Apply multiple times as you see fit. Rince well with wet rag until you have a "pure" surface.
  • Mask steering wheel and entire driver side area with tape and newspaper. Don't forget the door panel and seats.
  • Shake paint well and apply a light even coat over the entire wheel rim. Build it up slowly. (If working outside, apply in warm weather. Close doors and windows between coats).
  • Wait 10 to 15 mins and apply another light coat. I applied 6 coats total waiting 15 mins between each . The stuff is pretty thin. The first 4 passes were thin coats, 5 & 6 were a little heavier providing even colour coverage. (The 12 o'clock spot was still visible aft coat #4).
The product takes 24 hrs to cure. Do not use vehicle until then.

I'll provide an update after a few months to see how it stands up. It feels like the original material so I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The write-up was an after-thought so no before pics. The lower half of the wheel was ok so not much change. The 2 to 3 & 9 to 10 positions looked like the surface of the Moon. The 12 o'clock thumb print was white-ish, heavily pitted and worn down about 1/64 to 1/32 of an inch. I blended the height and it became a 2 in. white spot when I got it level. It completely disappeared with the SEM.

It feels like a new wheel driving around. I'll report how it is in the Fall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@‘63 Reverb

Do you think that paint product would work to improve a section of cracked dash? The top color layer is about 1/16” thick. I’m afraid doing anything will make it look worse, but think using a tiny paintbrush to paint the yellow padding area & build up it’s thickness with a product like you used might dress this area up a little bit for selling the car. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They sell texturing products to match what you have. There are also repair compounds that you heat up and press with a leather pad similar to your dash pattern. The SEM Classic coat is very watery. It's for painting flexible surfaces. (ie. changing green vinyl seats to black in an old car). I don't think it's what you want. You're better to do some research on Youtube (Here's a serious repair - Cracked Dashboard Repair - Padded Dashboard ) or go to a pro.

Reactions: wheelinyotas
1 - 6 of 6 Posts