Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about a year, I have fairly well reached a logical conclusion to this.

Started on Friday, March 13, 2020 (which is the date the SHTF here) driving 150 miles to Atlanta for the purchase of a one-owner FJ, 2007 Base, Auto, Convenience Package, Option Package 2, bone-stock other than owner installed TRD exhaust/CAI, showing 287,000 miles featuring the full plethora of dash light warnings displayed. Haven't done anything about the cause of the lights and unless something drastic happens, I am not going to worry about them. Nonetheless, I still believe I bought it right. As I was in no big hurry, I identified the upgrades I needed/desired, searched the intertubes for the best price, shopped around for vendors who did not charge sales tax, offered free shipping and had holiday discounts to apply, etc., etc. Including the initial purchase, probably have about as much "invested" as a lot of bone-stock, 2007 models list for and probably far less than some people have spent on premium mods alone. (Don't get me wrong ... nothing wrong with going for hyper-quality stuff, it just wasn't my plan here.) Short of a brake upgrade when the time comes or a rear diff skid, can't think of much more I intend to do unless something breaks or some used stuff pops up at the right price. (Although Vario F seats would be the bomb.)

Began by changing all gear oil, a drain/fill of transmission fluid, U-joints/shafts greased then, fairly well in order:

Ceramic front door window tint (40% IIRC) self-installed.

Trail Gear rock sliders (closeout priced) self-installed.

Ricochet aluminum full skid plates self-installed as well as Outpost Offroad lower link guards.

Used OME +3" (according to seller) springs found cheap, new ES6000/ES9000 ProComp shocks and Freedom Off Road UCAs (w/ball joints) for local shop to install. (The inevitable CV boot split led to new CV axles.)

Used steelies, caps and lugs with new 285/70/17 Federal CouriagaMTs mounted. (I ripped off a TRD Pro Beadlock theme for paint.) Body mount chop was necessary, possibly due to -6 wheel offset vs +15 OEM along with bumper/winch weight, or maybe the used springs were just shot. Non-matching but same-size orphan wheel/tire bought cheap to use as spare. Vinyl cover added since it is non-matching. (I also have the OEM alloys with Iceberg white painted spokes wearing 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country ATs if I want the stock look. May wind up trying to sell tham.)

US Offroad hidden winch mount bumper with Warn VR Evo 10-S winch self-installed. Did front wing delete in the process. (Added generic 3" round LED fog lights primarily for the halos.)

Cobra portable CB/Whether radio with magnetic antenna.

Front sway bar delete after the relocation kit let loose on a trail ride.

Painted grill surround in Iceberg white. Added LEDs in grille (using as DRLs along with the fog halos since OEM DRL disable performed.)

Homemade air dam on roof rack installed

Southern Powersports Hi-Lift jack mounts. Stainless steel U-Bolts fashioned into Max Trax, shovel and ax mounts.

7" display Jensen head unit with Bluetooth, USB Mirroring, rear and (lighted) front cameras self-installed. Infinity Reference 6X9 co-ax in front doors (dash speaker delete), Infinity Reference 3/4" tweeters in rear pillars. (The Reference speakers were a steal at Crutchfield during the holidays.) Also replaced stock sub transducer with the Dayton 8". Frost King FV516 duct insulation on inside of door cards for vibration control and whatever heat-rejection/sound-deadening it provides.

Generic 6", 18W LED combo spot/flood light mounted below roof rack for added back-up lighting.

40" Lumen® single row 240W LED bar (with lighted end caps) in front of air dam with U-bolt loops and self-fashioned limb risers added to hopefully protect it from getting ripped off.

Re-engineered molle rack (made for Wrangler) to fit rear driver side cargo compartment for mounting IFAK, fire extinguisher, etc. (Got a second one if I can find somewhere to mount it.)

18 chip LED festoon bulb dome light replacement.

Mirror light blue filter removal. 20 chip LED's installed.

Grip tape on rear bumper and sliders for ingress/egress safety.

Probably carry around 250 - 300 pounds of recovery/repair gear when wheeling, including Hi-Lift jack, MaxTrax traction boards, shovel, ax, straps/ropes of all kinds, snatch blocks, clevis hooks, D-ring shackles, ball joints, tie rod ends, cordless impact wrench, hydraulic bottle jack, tools, etc., etc. Can't help but think I have at least two of almost everything.

Enjoying it immensely.

Some pics:

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
I'd say welcome to the rabbit hole but clearly you have been down it already!

Good lookin' FJ!

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
275 Posts
Wow, kudos to all the hands on work. Did you add any type of a kill switch or extra security?

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
2007 FJ, 6 spd, manual
17 Posts
After about a year, I have fairly well reached a logical conclusion to this.

Started on Friday, March 13, 2020 (which is the date the SHTF here) driving 150 miles to Atlanta for the purchase of a one-owner FJ, 2007 Base, Auto, Convenience Package, Option Package 2, bone-stock other than owner installed TRD exhaust/CAI, showing 287,000 miles featuring the full plethora of dash light warnings displayed. Haven't done anything about the cause of the lights and unless something drastic happens, I am not going to worry about them. Nonetheless, I still believe I bought it right. As I was in no big hurry, I identified the upgrades I needed/desired, searched the intertubes for the best price, shopped around for vendors who did not charge sales tax, offered free shipping and had holiday discounts to apply, etc., etc. Including the initial purchase, probably have about as much "invested" as a lot of bone-stock, 2007 models list for and probably far less than some people have spent on premium mods alone. (Don't get me wrong ... nothing wrong with going for hyper-quality stuff, it just wasn't my plan here.) Short of a brake upgrade when the time comes or a rear diff skid, can't think of much more I intend to do unless something breaks or some used stuff pops up at the right price. (Although Vario F seats would be the bomb.)

Began by changing all gear oil, a drain/fill of transmission fluid, U-joints/shafts greased then, fairly well in order:

Ceramic front door window tint (40% IIRC) self-installed.

Trail Gear rock sliders (closeout priced) self-installed.

Ricochet aluminum full skid plates self-installed as well as Outpost Offroad lower link guards.

Used OME +3" (according to seller) springs found cheap, new ES6000/ES9000 ProComp shocks and Freedom Off Road UCAs (w/ball joints) for local shop to install. (The inevitable CV boot split led to new CV axles.)

Used steelies, caps and lugs with new 285/70/17 Federal CouriagaMTs mounted. (I ripped off a TRD Pro Beadlock theme for paint.) Body mount chop was necessary, possibly due to -6 wheel offset vs +15 OEM along with bumper/winch weight, or maybe the used springs were just shot. Non-matching but same-size orphan wheel/tire bought cheap to use as spare. Vinyl cover added since it is non-matching. (I also have the OEM alloys with Iceberg white painted spokes wearing 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country ATs if I want the stock look. May wind up trying to sell tham.)

US Offroad hidden winch mount bumper with Warn VR Evo 10-S winch self-installed. Did front wing delete in the process. (Added generic 3" round LED fog lights primarily for the halos.)

Cobra portable CB/Whether radio with magnetic antenna.

Front sway bar delete after the relocation kit let loose on a trail ride.

Painted grill surround in Iceberg white. Added LEDs in grille (using as DRLs along with the fog halos since OEM DRL disable performed.)

Homemade air dam on roof rack installed

Southern Powersports Hi-Lift jack mounts. Stainless steel U-Bolts fashioned into Max Trax, shovel and ax mounts.

7" display Jensen head unit with Bluetooth, USB Mirroring, rear and (lighted) front cameras self-installed. Infinity Reference 6X9 co-ax in front doors (dash speaker delete), Infinity Reference 3/4" tweeters in rear pillars. (The Reference speakers were a steal at Crutchfield during the holidays.) Also replaced stock sub transducer with the Dayton 8". Frost King FV516 duct insulation on inside of door cards for vibration control and whatever heat-rejection/sound-deadening it provides.

Generic 6", 18W LED combo spot/flood light mounted below roof rack for added back-up lighting.

40" Lumen® single row 240W LED bar (with lighted end caps) in front of air dam with U-bolt loops and self-fashioned limb risers added to hopefully protect it from getting ripped off.

Re-engineered molle rack (made for Wrangler) to fit rear driver side cargo compartment for mounting IFAK, fire extinguisher, etc. (Got a second one if I can find somewhere to mount it.)

18 chip LED festoon bulb dome light replacement.

Mirror light blue filter removal. 20 chip LED's installed.

Grip tape on rear bumper and sliders for ingress/egress safety.

Probably carry around 250 - 300 pounds of recovery/repair gear when wheeling, including Hi-Lift jack, MaxTrax traction boards, shovel, ax, straps/ropes of all kinds, snatch blocks, clevis hooks, D-ring shackles, ball joints, tie rod ends, cordless impact wrench, hydraulic bottle jack, tools, etc., etc. Can't help but think I have at least two of almost everything.

Enjoying it immensely.

Some pics:

View attachment 1154327

View attachment 1154328

View attachment 1154329

View attachment 1154330

View attachment 1154331

View attachment 1154332

View attachment 1154334
Beautiful looking rig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts