Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I started an account because I've been interested in a FJ but couldn't justify the extra vehicle but I have helped a friend change her radiator and water pump on her FJ. My car is getting bodywork done and this friend lent me the truck for the next few weeks and as appreciation I wanted to do some upkeep for her. It's an 07 2WD with 102k miles and the spark plugs were recently changed so I've decided to change the rear diff fluid, the cabin air filter, and grease the u-joint. I thought about the trans fluid but assuming it hadn't been changed before would there be an issue doing a full fluid exchange now?

I'm open to suggestions for some other things I could DIY do and I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
As to your question for changing the trans fluid, you may want to read this link. Any opinions here about it? With fluid that's seen use for over 100,000 miles and 15 years of aging, there's probably now varnish deposited on the clutch plates and new fluid may introduce unwanted slippage since it's more more slippery than the old stuff. Toyota should be ashamed of themselves for calling this "lifetime fluid". If you want to keep a vehicle for a long time, change the auto trans fluid at least every 50,000 miles or do a dump and refill every couple of years to keep it fresh. Power steering fluid should be changed out too since it's usually ATF of some sort.

You could check all the brake pads and even do a brake bleed flush if the fluid looks old and you want more items to do. The front calipers tend to end up with corroded and frozen bottom pistons if the fluid isn't regularly flushed. Check the air filter and maybe clean the MAF sensor unless that was done already. Like FJC-MAN indicated, the serpentine belt should be checked and maybe even see if any of the idler pulleys it drives are noisy, although it looks like you've already had the belt off during the water pump change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on the trans and that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I changed my CR-V fluid recently and the results weren't great so I was a little concerned about the FJ. When I did the cooling system parts I replaced the serpentine and checked the pulleys and they were all passable but I earmarked them for replacement soon since they're pretty accessible.

Added to list:
  • Engine air filter
  • Clean MAF
  • Power Steering fluid
  • Brake fluid
  • Check brake calipers/pistons/rotors/pads

As to your question for changing the trans fluid, you may want to read this link. Any opinions here about it? With fluid that's seen use for over 100,000 miles and 15 years of aging, there's probably now varnish deposited on the clutch plates and new fluid may introduce unwanted slippage since it's more more slippery than the old stuff. Toyota should be ashamed of themselves for calling this "lifetime fluid". If you want to keep a vehicle for a long time, change the auto trans fluid at least every 50,000 miles or do a dump and refill every couple of years to keep it fresh. Power steering fluid should be changed out too since it's usually ATF of some sort.

You could check all the brake pads and even do a brake bleed flush if the fluid looks old and you want more items to do. The front calipers tend to end up with corroded and frozen bottom pistons if the fluid isn't regularly flushed. Check the air filter and maybe clean the MAF sensor unless that was done already. Like FJC-MAN indicated, the serpentine belt should be checked and maybe even see if any of the idler pulleys it drives are noisy, although it looks like you've already had the belt off during the water pump change.

·
Admin
14,196 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body too.... either from the front or (my preferred method) remove the 4 bolts and pop the whole thing off and give it a good cleaning with a toothbrush and the appropriate spray.

Kudos to treating your friend well.... way too many people take things for granted these days.
🍻
Cheers.

Reactions: Mr.Cannon

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You may want to read this post # 49,404 by FJ-6MT about changing brake fluid. He did a very good write up. For the front calipers, you can just perform a simple bleed, either with a helper on the pedal or using a vacuum system. I usually use a vacuum system to suck out the fluid. For the rears, there is a way to activate and run the accumulator pump to bleed the brake booster and thoroughly flush all the valves and the rear part of the system. If you do it this way, be very careful you don't run out of fluid in the master cylinder and introduce air into the system. Only run the accumulator pump for only 10 seconds at a time and refill when bleeding the rears.

Power steering needs to be flushed, so good write up here.

And don't forget about checking and probably changing the PCV valve on the back of the valve cover, driver's side. That one tends to get overlooked. Have fun and good luck being such a nice friend. (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good idea, thanks. Does the gasket need replaced too when removing the TB?

And I agree that people don't seem to have the same appreciation. I'm of the idea that if you borrow someone's vehicle then you treat it BETTER than your own. I've lent my car to really close people and they haven't showed the same respect but perhaps I expected too much beforehand.

Added to list:
  • Engine air filter
  • Clean MAF
  • Power Steering fluid
  • Brake fluid
  • Throttle Body cleaning

Wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body too.... either from the front or (my preferred method) remove the 4 bolts and pop the whole thing off and give it a good cleaning with a toothbrush and the appropriate spray.

Kudos to treating your friend well.... way too many people take things for granted these days.
🍻
Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great info, thank you.

Added to list:
  • Engine air filter
  • Clean MAF
  • Power Steering fluid
  • Brake fluid
  • Throttle Body cleaning
  • Replace PCV valve

And don't forget about checking and probably changing the PCV valve on the back of the valve cover, driver's side. That one tends to get overlooked. Have fun and good luck being such a nice friend. (y)

·
Admin
14,196 Posts
That's a good idea, thanks. Does the gasket need replaced too when removing the TB?

No... it's pretty straightforward.... if you are removing it though, just have a rag under the 2 hoses to catch the little bit that dribbles out prior to bending them up to reduce the spillage.... you'll see what I mean once you get into it.

Reactions: Mr.Cannon
1 - 10 of 10 Posts