Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some basic performance upgrades I can do (Bolt-On type)?

I lifted my 2007 FJ (6 cyl) and added plates, ARB Bull Bar, Winch, etc etc..

Now it gets about 10 MPG and is a dog.

Any ideas on how I can get some performance back and maybe some MPG back?

Also, I have been through 1 transmission and looking for a good offset tranny cooler if anyone knows of one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
is afe worth looking at for the exhaust or is Borla the best one out there?
Also, I am assuming that if I do do it (I said doo-doo, ha), that I should go with the dual cat-back, right?

·
Desert Moderator
6,655 Posts
The more crap you bolt on, the slower it will be.
What kind of wheeling do you do? Perhaps we can help then.
You'll never improve fuel economy by adding stuff.
If you want economy, the cheapest mod would be to add a prius.

·
Desert Moderator
6,655 Posts
My FJ goes like sh*t off a shovel. Why? Minimal crap bolted on - only what I need for the driving I do. Economy sucks, but that's not why I bought an FJ.
Aftermarket exhaust gives exactly 0% increase in HP but sounds better
Airraid intake is supposed to be good, but so is a well fitted K&N filter and tube thing to replace the resonator thing.
The raptor tune will give you +50 HP and more torque through the curve (and slightly worse economy).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I want performance first. I mostly desert run and rock crawl.
Second to that, I pull a small hi-lo trailer to get out in and I need the HP for the big, long hills here in Arizona. I go from 1000 feet to 10,000 feet altitude in a 3 hour run.

I was under the impression that some of the HP gains would help with gas mileage because I would not be mashing the pedal at full throttle, up hills, and not gaining speed or momentum. If that is wrong, I need to rephrase my question into what is going to give me the most HP gain without rebuilding the engine and in what order should I do it?

I have been told that the chip mod would be good to do first, since remapping it can account for any additional bolt on mods. Since I have the extra weight from the bumpers, winch, tires, rock plates, rock rails, and the 500 pounds of gear in my milk crates, I thought that would get me some quick HP to compensate for that stuff.

Help me do it right the first time!

·
Desert Moderator
6,655 Posts
Desert running & rock crawling are mutually exclusive. Pick one, and set it up for that. I could do either, but mine is set up for desert running. Soft suspension, light weight, moderate lift, and just an 8mm Aluminium skid from the radiator to the back of the engine.
Raptor tune, stock airbox with the k&n tube & filter (see the raptor tune thread). Stock exhaust, stock bumpers, no winch, no sliders or steps or any other bolt on crap. Tires are Cooper AT3 p rated.
A few electronic mods around the traction aids.
I drive it like I stole it and I have a long term average of 16L/100km. I don't know what that works out to in buckets per furlong.
If i wanted to do rocks it would be setup differently - tires would be KO2 or KM3, and I'd probably add sliders. Suspension tune would be different as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I had to only pick one, I would say crawling then. That is the most abundant close by me, and I am setup for it already.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
TRD or Boral exhaust
Air intake
Intake manifold upgrade
Exhaust manifold upgrade
ECU reflash

Not too much you can do with an NA engine without throwing a ton of money at it but, those will get you a little more HP/torque
Please provide more information on aftermarket intake manifold options.

·
Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser Iceberg
35 Posts
Please provide more information on aftermarket intake manifold options.
I apologize but, I can not find a specific aftermarket FJ Cruiser manifold. I spoke too soon.

I would think there would be a performance site that would have some or maybe ones from another Toyota that is compatible.

However, I did find plenty of super charger options!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts