Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Havent posted in awhile but I had a quick question.

I need to buy a new battery for my baby... she made it 93K on the factory battery.. please dont ask how i did that! lol! anyway a friend suggested a Northstar battery and an odyssey. anyone with experience in these? or should i just run to autozone and grab a regular battery?? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Mine made it 73K. I went to AutoZone and got their AGM top of the line battery with 3 year free replacement. Came with a spacer plate, about $160.00 or so on sale. I was just way over thinking it so I just did it.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
My Panasonic lasted about 88k. I kind of reared up when I had to swap her out. I went with a DieHard Platinum size 35. Got it for around $180 on sale. It's a little smaller and has a lot more cold cranking amps in it.

I was originally going to get a DieHard Platinum PM-1, but decided to go dual battery route instead of one massive battery.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am an odyssey believer. I'll put those batteries anywhere I can get them to fit. 1 caveat is that they are different and should be maintained accordingly. One of the truly great parts is that with the proper equipment, you can charge at an astonishing rate ov 50 amps for the first 80%. That battery will take what it needs and give it's all when asked for it.

Ps do not short across the posts with your wrench. It may vaporize your tool.

They can and usually do last 10, ,11 sometimes 12+ years when treated properly.

A flooded lead cell battery (conventional) will loose about 5-8% charge monthly just in storage. When it drops below a certain voltage, it begins to sulphate. The sulphate coating on the plates make the surface area unusable and over time neglect this is a big factor in diminishing capacity and performance.

The Odyseey only looses less than 1.5% when stored fully charged and stored at the optimal 69 deg F. Basically you could charge it, put it on your shelf for a few years and still have an 80% battery to start your vehicle then last another 5-10 years In service! It can be fabulousness. (iPad auto fill)

See Odyseey website for approved chargers and use this info for care of your sears platinum diehard.

I have been waiting for a buying opportunity like this.

In my research of Odyseey, it was revealed that these do have a government inventory number and are the choice for stuff they need to power when it really counts.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Odyssey website calls for the group 34R with the 5$ spacer plate, while the Sears battery finder recommends the group 35. Sears has a group 34 but the posts are on the wrong side.

Not sure what I would do.. I do see that the marine version is just what I use in my boat at a great price considering what I will get for the money.

Anyone know what the OEM Panasonic group configuration is?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
OEM Panasonic battery is a group 27L. I'm using a Sears Diehard PM-1 (group 31) as the main battery. It is longer than the Panasonic but still fit; just need to modify the negative cable slightly. More details here.
Now that is good advice there TCao (not to mention a great write up on the linked post) I like your idea of installing the full sized marine battery instead of the smaller 34 or 35 group battery, although a motorcycle sized odyssey battery would be more than sufficient to run the stock fj cruiser probably.

Hey, just gave me an idea, mount a cute little PC 625 on the firewall as just an emergency boost self jump pack. 4"X7"X7"

Anyway, I easily get sidetracked, look, a puppy!
My only concern/suggestion is that I don't like the idea of this 75 pound battery riding on the (sharp) edge of the undersized OEM battery tray. I concern that it would eventually chaff a cut through the case. I think I would put a cut plywood insert to help distribute the weight. Yes, you are correct about no concern of acid leak under normal circumstances, odyssey is considered a dry cell and can be mounted any way but directly upside down, no spill acid.

Another thing about odyssey technology and any lead acid battery is that it is suggested that you run it down to 80% occasionally and then charge it back to full.

A concern with older Yamaha outboards is that the voltage regulator will not allow for a full charge on the Odysseys under regular operation. We can overcome this by installing a battery isolator like for an RV and this somehow tricks this by adding the resistance of the isolator. Also a great idea for a camper so you don't run down your start battery by using all the batteries to supply the house.

I also will do a saturation charge regularly using the odyssey smart charger of at least 25 amps if not the 50 amp. There are also other approved chargers although not all are automatic and you'll need to monitor them and shut off if you get thermal runaway. PS, the 50 amp charger will charge every battery odyssey makes where as the OMAX 6 amp will only charge the smaller ones correctly. It all has to do with the saturation phase and then the float charge. The first 80% can be done with almost any good charger.

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
I've had the Sears DH PM-1 for a little over 4 years now and no problem with battery case wear due to chaffing (make sure the battery is mounted securely so there's no movement). Making a plywood mounting tray for a PM-1 is a good idea though. Here's my aux battery installation; I'd prefer using the same size battery but the PM-1 is just too large for the right rear fender location; newer FJs (2010+) can use the same size battery (PM-1) potentially in the passenger's side location but the fit will be very tight. My FJ's voltage regulator shows a 13.7 to 13.9V reading at 2,000 rpm which is within the requirement for an AGM battery. For a battery charger, I've been using this one for almost three years now. NOCO also makes larger chargers. CTEK is another good choice.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Cool, thanks for the lead on the NOCO chargers, I'll have to check them out as I am needing to upgrade my OMAX to a higher amperage.

I also saw on your mod write up, I guess your OEM Panasonic was a gel cell. My 2010 came with Panasonic flooded lead acid. Huh.

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
My OEM Panasonic battery is also flood lead acid but it's one of the best I have ever owned and used. amazon.com has good prices on NOCO automatic chargers, the G7200 (7.2A) or G26000 (26A) are the higher current rated ones.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you have a lot of power demands such as a winch, compressor, etc. Go with a Die Hard Platinum Marine Battery. Once you own one, you never want something different.

Sears.com

·
Registered
505 Posts
OEM Panasonic battery is a group 27L. I'm using a Sears Diehard PM-1 (group 31) as the main battery. It is longer than the Panasonic but still fit; just need to modify the negative cable slightly. More details here.

I believe the stock Panasonic Battery for our FJ is Group 27F.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Wish I could still get the stock panasonic battery at the dealership. IMHO, if you dont need high demand out of your battery (usual car stuff only), then theres really no need to waste bucks when Costco has regular kirkland for $75 and they last a long time with nary an issue (but a good warranty if one does crop up).

·
Registered
762 Posts
So, I just bought my 2007 FJ (one owner, 76k) and doing a few maintenance items on it (brakes being done currently) and the previous owner was not driving it a ton as he had a job change with a couple of hour commute, so he was driving a gas sipper to work. Looks like he put in a new battery in Sep of 2013, but just went with a Walmart battery as he was not driving it alot.

I'm looking at the Optimas and their website shows a Yellowtop (OPTIMA® Batteries 8037-127 D27F YELLOWTOP® Starting and Deep-Cycle Battery) with these dimensions:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...7f-yellowtop-starting-and-deep-cycle-battery/

Weight: 53.2 lb
Length: 12.16 in
Width: 6.762 in
Height: 8.61 in

They also show the red top (OPTIMA® Batteries 8020-164 35 REDTOP® Starting Battery)

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...atteries-8020-164-35-redtop-starting-battery/

Weight: 31.7 lb
Length: 9.38 in
Width: 6.75 in
Height: 7.69 in

I'm not running any extra electronics as yet, but just wanting to make sure that I don't get stuck with an underpowered battery in Indiana in the winter time.

Napa has a pretty good sale going on and I can get the Optima redtop for about $155 before tax (which is what pulled up for the Napa guy when I called to ask about it, he didn't show the yellow but said he can get them).

Truck is currently getting brakes done, so I can't measure the battery compartment.

Do you guys know if the yellow top Optima will fit without any mods and be fully supported by the base plate. I can measure it when I pick up the truck, but figured I'd get some of the research out of the way.

Is it worth it to get the yellow top vs the red top even if you are not running a winch, etc assuming it is probably $40 or so difference? (haven't asked Napa the price on the yellow yet)

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts