Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
In the interest of battery preservation (Odessey Xtreme) I ordered a plug-in heater for winter and heat sheild wrap for summer - slo-mo rock crawling in Moab is brutal for bats and have actually melted one :surprise But that was before I installed hood vents...however, still looking to do what I can to maintain bat health in both extreme heat and cold :angel So true:”Batteries don’t die - they’re murdered”.

My question is simple - this kit came with no instructions and I saw none online. I want to reuse it for future summers. The metallic layer has a sticky back which adheres to a thick felt blanket but leaves a 1” margin, probably to stick to itself and keep it wrapped. Included with the kit is a piece of metalc sticky back tape exactly the dimensions of the overlap on the metallic layer. To me that may be significant somehow. If I go ahead and stick the two layers together, wrap the bat, and use the extended end to stick it together, I will have to cut it off (and hence the only sticky part) this fall. The extra tape - is that for next summer? What about the following summers...go find my own tape and continue letting a bump of tape pile up over the years? If so I can live with that but just want to make sure I’m not missing something before I pull off the backing :rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Re: Battery heat sheild wrap advice needed

I assume the extra piece is to adhere the blanket to the battery itself so it doesn't shift around. I could be wrong. I don't think they consider you'd be removing. If that's the case, I'd consider ditching the adhesive and getting a sewing machine and putting some velcro on there so you can remove it periodically. And if you want to go all in, build a 90* bent aluminum plate surround and stick that blanket to it so you can run it year round!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hmmmm Velcro...might it melt? The whole silver layer is sticky backed so i assume it’ll adhere to the felt ok. And I like having the plug in bat heater for winter...-20 to -30 not uncommon! Was extremely happy with what it did for the bat over this past endless winter, so planning to keep using it. I guess maybe the manufacturers of these heat shields just assume you’ll remove it maybe once, not annually :thinkerg:

·
Registered
3,310 Posts

Hmmmm Velcro...might it melt?
Upon searching: "a Nomex (fire retardant) base Velcro with nylon or polyester hooks will have a slightly higher temperature rating (350°F / 177°C) than a**polyester‐based Velcro (280°F /*138°C)"

You can check your battery temps with a laser thermo gun. So if you used a poly/nylon velcro in the application between the reflective blanket, it's not directly on the heat source. It should yield a higher temp use rating because polyester doesn't have the same protective insulation. You really only need it to shield heat from surrounding the battery (I think you had bad luck with that previous battery overheating, ie. could have been manufacturer's defect or on the way out... Batteries tend to bulge and crack and your extreme offroading put it over the edge.

·
Admin
9,123 Posts

Could you run the battery blanket inside the heat shield?
That way you can leave both on.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Upon searching: "a Nomex (fire retardant) base Velcro with nylon or polyester hooks will have a slightly higher temperature rating (350°F / 177°C) than a**polyester‐based Velcro (280°F /*138°C)"

You can check your battery temps with a laser thermo gun. So if you used a poly/nylon velcro in the application between the reflective blanket, it's not directly on the heat source. It should yield a higher temp use rating because polyester doesn't have the same protective insulation. You really only need it to shield heat from surrounding the battery (I think you had bad luck with that previous battery overheating, ie. could have been manufacturer's defect or on the way out... Batteries tend to bulge and crack and your extreme offroading put it over the edge.
I wonder if I could glue the Velcro to the blanket? Outer metallic layer is very stout - I have a good sewing machine but don’t think it could manage that. Yeah that was the year we hammered our way through Kane Creek, plus some long times idling - really could not touch anything under the hood it got so hot. Bat (not an Odessey) was oozing from a cracked bulge :frown

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I was going to suggest swapping out for velcro too. Or you could just use cable ties around it.
The only problem with cable ties I can think of is there would be gaps to let heat in, and areas where the felt lining would be compressed (may not be an issue). Also finding super long ones lol

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Could you run the battery blanket inside the heat shield?
That way you can leave both on.
I considered that but not sure there’s enough room under the bat clamp for both. And being unsure how the heat shield “actually” works, feel I should try to install it in as close to intended way (even tho there’s no directions any where).

·
Registered
3,310 Posts

I wonder if I could glue the Velcro to the blanket? Outer metallic layer is very stout - I have a good sewing machine but don’t think it could manage that.
You'd probably have to epoxy it to be temp safe (but you can't really bend it, so you'd have to plan accordingly). There's also rubber cement but not sure how well that holds up. I was reading once the solvents dry up and the rubber "settles" it does fine under mild heat, not necessarily engine heat I imagine.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You'd probably have to epoxy it to be temp safe (but you can't really bend it, so you'd have to plan accordingly). There's also rubber cement but not sure how well that holds up. I was reading once the solvents dry up and the rubber "settles" it does fine under mild heat, not necessarily engine heat I imagine.
I’ll look into epoxy - the surface where Velcro would go is flat and would stay flat. Thx!

·
Admin
9,123 Posts

I considered that but not sure there’s enough room under the bat clamp for both. And being unsure how the heat shield “actually” works, feel I should try to install it in as close to intended way (even tho there’s no directions any where).
I'm sure it's mostly for its reflective properties... The heat shield.
So, I don't see any downside other than fitment.

Might be a double edged sword too.... Might keep heat IN the battery if you have it wrapped.

I wonder how it overheated..... Hmmmm.

Is that heat shield being used by the guys in the UAE? What do they do other than buy a new battery every 2 yrs?

Are you running a supercharger?
I put some steak fajita wraps against my engine on a trail in Colorado.... It was warm but not hot.

Reactions: amaclach

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm sure it's mostly for its reflective properties... The heat shield.
So, I don't see any downside other than fitment.

Might be a double edged sword too.... Might keep heat IN the battery if you have it wrapped.

I wonder how it overheated..... Hmmmm.

Is that heat shield being used by the guys in the UAE? What do they do other than buy a new battery every 2 yrs?

Are you running a supercharger?
I put some steak fajita wraps against my engine on a trail in Colorado.... It was warm but not hot.
I wondered about that as well, the possibility it keeps the heat in, but so many reviews and different manufacturers claim this system works. Yes it supposedly reflects the heat away from bat. Nope no supercharger on board. It was a combination of high air temp, overly long periods of idling/slow crawling (we had some stockers with us on that Kane Creek run that required a LOT of extra time), and the engine bay would’ve sizzled your fajitas :rofl: Bat was only about 2 yrs old. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone in the UAE (or any hot climate) that has knowledge or experience with these heat shields!

·
Forum Beer Meister
4,557 Posts

I’ve been running this heat shielding for about 8 months now, it’s basically a heat reflecting shield with internal matting that creates a bit of an airspace which is the actual insulating space separation space. If you look up actual duct tape or wrap you can see it’s actual metal with a very sticky adhesive backing that’s peeled back then applied. This is used in heater ducting for it’s extreme heat reflectivity.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I’ve been running this heat shielding for about 8 months now, it’s basically a heat reflecting shield with internal matting that creates a bit of an airspace which is the actual insulating space separation space. If you look up actual duct tape or wrap you can see it’s actual metal with a very sticky adhesive backing that’s peeled back then applied. This is used in heater ducting for it’s extreme heat reflectivity.
Great to hear! So the air trapped in the felt is an insulator, and metallic/plastic layer reflects heat away...and it works for you? Do you plan to keep it on year round?

·
Forum Beer Meister
4,557 Posts

Great to hear! So the air trapped in the felt is an insulator, and metallic/plastic layer reflects heat away...and it works for you? Do you plan to keep it on year round?
Oh yea especially because I run the group 31 Odyssey which is 14” long so it sits a little closer to the engine and the radiator heat hits it now. I don’t like the idea of having it insulated where it’s hard for heat to escape but I think it’s better than direct heat. In fact I’m thinking about buying an aftermarket fiberglass hood called the heat extractor hood Ray sells.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Oh yea especially because I run the group 31 Odyssey which is 14” long so it sits a little closer to the engine and the radiator heat hits it now. I don’t like the idea of having it insulated where it’s hard for heat to escape but I think it’s better than direct heat. In fact I’m thinking about buying an aftermarket fiberglass hood called the heat extractor hood Ray sells.
Yup the solid hood is great for keeping heat inside, and why I got the vent louvres which really help in summer. Haven’t seen the heat extractor hood - uses scoops or vents? My Odyssey is group 34 so not as close to engine/rad. But I have the issue of extreme cold and needing to uninstall the heat shield in winter, and reinstalling the bat warmer...so needing to remove the heat shield without destroying it. Hence the reason for this thread :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,129 Posts

Hey Deb tell me what you think, yay or nay for Moab? I want the thing but the damn thing is unpainted.

What ya think hideous or freaky awesome?
G'Day Mate,
Wikid fitted one to his last J, once painted etc.... looked awesome.
There should be pixs some where in here showing it...
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts