Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left for Switzerland 3 weeks ago. The FJ stayed unused while I was gone. This morning the battery is totally dead. The battery thingy shows that I need to add distilled water (red outer circle is visible). But how do you add water into a maintenance free battery? I dont get it. Called the dealer they wanted to tow the FJ back to their shop. All it needed was a jump start....

Anyone have had similar problem with battery being dead after only 3 weeks?. Note :I have RS3200 alarm system.....

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I bet the radar sensor in the alarm uses a fair amt of electricity.....I always shut mine off when I leave the truck for an extended period (2 weeks or so)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I jumped started it. Seems to work fine but when I drove around just to charge the battery a little longer. My radio shuts of and on a few times and the my instrument cluster looks like X-mas tree. Engine still running though....So much for maintenance free battery....

·
Registered
563 Posts
That's the first I've heard of Toyota battery issues. The batteries we have are not maintenance free which is an upside, you can actually add water. I've gone 6 years with the same battery in my past 4runners. My wife's Touareg is another story, if you leave the radar detector plugged in for two days it's dead.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I jumped started it. Seems to work fine but when I drove around just to charge the battery a little longer. My radio shuts of and on a few times and the my instrument cluster looks like X-mas tree. Engine still running though....So much for maintenance free battery....
Sounds like your battery is stone dead and you're running off the alternator now which will burn out if you don't replace the battery asap. TAKE IT BACK UNDER WARRANTY

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you sell the other FJ while you were over there? Were you in the French or German section? Spent time in Luassane, lived with a Swiss chick very laid back lifestyle.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
whenever i am away for extended time i leave a small solar trickle charger plugged into the cigarette lighter. I have always returned to a full battery though tire alot of the times have been flat. Do this whenever I go on deployment

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did you sell the other FJ while you were over there? Were you in the French or German section? Spent time in Luassane, lived with a Swiss chick very laid back lifestyle.

Nope the other FJ is still commuting between Geneva and Bern. Home in Geneva company in Bern. Its only 1.5 hr drive. Too laid back for me....almost as laid back as here in WI, but 5 times more expensive...

question though: if its maintenance free battery why does it tell me to add water?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I stored my FJ for three months. Left nothing on even the alarm was off (unless it turns on by manually locking the doors) Battery was completly dead. Dealer service dept. said theres something always on that draws juice. Cant be that much on, clock and what else? Have other vehicles with computers and clocks and amps. No problem with those batteries.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Been there...thats also why airports have a truck that will come around and give you a jump and air your tires if you parked for an extended trip.

I gotta pick me up one of those solar charges...sounds like a good idea.

whenever i am away for extended time i leave a small solar trickle charger plugged into the cigarette lighter. I have always returned to a full battery though tire alot of the times have been flat. Do this whenever I go on deployment

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is gonna sound funny but it is free:

Dodge work trucks of ours would get a dead battery so we jumpstart them.

They would run like crap after.

The fix was to start and turn off 5 or more times to reset something that the dealer rakes ya for .

Give it a try mb that`ll fix it? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
End result......

The battery was completely dried ....8.5V....Wont take any charge.. The indicator says add distilled water....But there is no way to open the battery since its a maintenance free type as mentioned earlier....

Put a temporary battery in and sent the original battery to the dealer...They need to have the battery and odometer reading before they sent me a new battery...They also will check if the alternator is ovecharging for some reasons...........

·
Registered
105 Posts
The battery is only "sealed" by a sticker. The fill plugs are clearly visible even with the sticker in place. Unscrew the fill plugs and add your DW. I would just get it replaced under warranty though...:)

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Sounds like your battery is stone dead and you're running off the alternator now which will burn out if you don't replace the battery asap. TAKE IT BACK UNDER WARRANTY
Be Careful !!! Alternators (especially high-output alts like the 120a Nippendenso in the FJC) are not designed to recharge a dead battery (11.8v is dead - 8.5v is a lead box), they are designed to maintain the charge of a functioning battery that is being used. ALWAYS recharge a dead battery on a charger out of the vehicle when the battery voltage is below 11.8v, to protect the alternator from possible damage.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
you gotta be kidding me cruiserlarry... my nippondenso FJ40 alternator rechared dead batteries for I dunno 15 years or so. The "new" one has been in the rig 12 years and no problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Be Careful !!! Alternators (especially high-output alts like the 120a Nippendenso in the FJC) are not designed to recharge a dead battery (11.8v is dead - 8.5v is a lead box), they are designed to maintain the charge of a functioning battery that is being used. ALWAYS recharge a dead battery on a charger out of the vehicle when the battery voltage is below 11.8v, to protect the alternator from possible damage.
If this was true it seems that those high draw lights and winch would have smoked my alternator long ago... I guess it depends on the battery, my Odyssey seems to take it all in stride. I'm sure the OEM battery, while adequate, is not meant to be dishcharged repeatedly.

Usually a "dead" battery has enough juice to run lights etc, just can't start the motor. Get a jump start and let it charge by letting it run for a bit. Seems like this is common knowledge, but I have never taken a volt meter out to see just how "dead" the jumped battery was... is this correct or not?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If this was true it seems that those high draw lights and winch would have smoked my alternator long ago... I guess it depends on the battery, my Odyssey seems to take it all in stride. I'm sure the OEM battery, while adequate, is not meant to be dishcharged repeatedly.

Usually a "dead" battery has enough juice to run lights etc, just can't start the motor. Get a jump start and let it charge by letting it run for a bit. Seems like this is common knowledge, but I have never taken a volt meter out to see just how "dead" the jumped battery was... is this correct or not?
That would be the most common case....But in my case my battery is totally dried out. There was no liquid in side...... Turn ignition on it was dead....Getting a new battery from Toyota under warranty...Toyota is investigating if its only an isolated case of defective battery or is it because the alternator is overcharging causing the water/acid to boil and dissapear......Will keep you all posted what they say...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Put in a new battery back in 2016,, after a year later it was dead , it was under warranty so I got another one,, a few months ago this battery was going dead ,, it's now 2020 ,,, the only thing I did different was plug in a obd2 stage 1 ,, the add tells us this won't kill your battery,, so I removed it a few months ago no problems , now I have plugged in a heads up display to the obd2 ,, battery problems again,, and get this I notice that the light in the heads up display was coming on when the fj was turned off ,, thinking there is a problem with the obd2 when things are plugged into it ,,
Just putting it out there about my findings,, will update this after a few weeks , to see if keeps happening or not , yep I did disconnect the heads up display for this testing time .

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
(Classic thread resurrection from 2006, but ...)

You haven't told us anything useful except that you got a new battery in 2017, and now this battery is being drained while the engine is off.

1. Exactly what is this "obd2 stage 1" device, and what is it connected to?
2. What is this "heads up display", and what is it connected to?

Bottom line is that regardless what non-OEM electrical gadgets you may have added, the parasitic current draw when everything is turned off is what matters. You need to disconnect one of the battery terminals and measure parasitic current draw with a good quality multimeter; it shouldn't exceed ~25 milliamps. You can also measure the voltage drop across each and every fuse to get an idea of the current draw, and which circuit is drawing current.

If ANY widget that you have plugged in has an LED that is constantly on, that current draw will probably exceed 20ma.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your help yes to the person that comment on my post ,, the obd2 power chip I plug In had 3 led lights that were always on even when the fj was off,, and the heads up display for some reason was coming on when the fj was off plus the temps outside were under 32 all this caused the battery to die ..

Thank you for opening my eyes ,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts