Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery died while I've had my fj on jackstands for awhile due to some parasitic draw think my hatch wasn't shut completely. It's now to low for me to feel safe jumping. I'm looking for a good battery tender to hopefully bring it back for a few more months of use until I get a larger agm.
I'll be keeping it outside through the cold winter. Something small not the big ones on dollies. All the threads I could find related to this were older. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Used one on my Harley for years. Gave it to my grandson who is still using it. Good piece.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like that's the one! Any specific model for keeping an agm healthy? @Lee44 @Hannibal

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The one we used for the the bikes was 750ma (.750amps) not sure that is enough to bring a dead battery back up to spec. It is enough to keep it up. I know they have other models.

I ended up buying a charger from Optima. Optima Battery Chargers

Besides the Optima batteries they also do other AGMs and standard lead acid batteries. ATV/Motorcycle batteries too.

I got the 1200 (don't like waiting around) The 400 would work fine. I'd definitely shop around for a good price and check other brands for a better price, be sure it does AGMs. AGMs require a little higher charging voltage.

I got mine when my FJ sat idle for a long time and the Optima charger would recover a dead AGM. (maybe an old wives tale)

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
if the battery is too low, a tender might not be able to start charging so it is not uncommon for an overly discharged battery to need to put the battery on a normal battery charger first, for, say 30 min, and then remove that and put it on the tender for storage

A good one, like the ones made by Battery Tender will tell you by the blinking lights if it needs this or not.

One thing that might be worth doing is first take the battery to the auto parts store and have them do a quick test to confirm none of the cells shorted out by the low charge, making it no longer serviceable. That can happen when an older battery has been allowed to discharge too far.

Since I don't drive my FJ all of the time, and want the AGM battery to last for as long as is possible, I hard wired in a Battery Tender lead (it has large ring eyes that fit under the battery terminal nuts), from the battery through the grille, and has a 2 pin joint on its end for quick connect/disconnect with the wall wart in the outlet. Then, I have an outlet in the front of the garage for the wart. If you forget to unplug the quick connect joint and pull out without disconnecting it, the design of the joint will allow it to come apart without damage (BTDT). Now, I put a cloth on the steering wheel as my reminder to disconnect first.

Norm

·
トヨタ Master
9,218 Posts
Or, just run it once per week for 15 minutes or so. I wouldn't call it a parasitic draw as all automobiles with an ECM have a normal draw for memory purposes and clocks such as in your radio. If you are getting a high (200mA) draw or more, I would look into actually fixing the draw instead of Band-Aiding it with a maintainer. Some newer vehicles with a lot of gizmos and multiple modules can see as high as 600mA draw, so more frequent running of the engine is necessary.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an Optima 1200, and have been very happy with it. I use it for my FJ that has an Optima red top, and several work vehicles that have lead acid batteries. Has worked well the dozen or so times I have used it to recharge batteries and maintain my red top.

Work paid for it, so the price didn’t bother me. But I imagine there are similar products out there that function just as well, for a lower price.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
" just run it once per week for 15 minutes or so"

my concern with running the engine during the winter is acid/moisture buildup in the engine and exhaust that is created during the initial startup but which requires a fully through-heated system to burn off, the risk of causing internal harm (gradual, accumulative, not right away apparent when it happens) makes me put my car to sleep at the beginning of winter and not touch it until it is OK to drive in the spring

Some winters there will be a good rain storm well above freezing to rinse off the streets, and then a few days of dry weather when it can be taken out for a few good 20+ minute drives to get everything up to temp (including transmission, differentials, etc.) and fully dry out the exhaust, without the road salt dust that will attack the underside. Other winters it just sits in storage on the battery tender until spring.

On a modern car, the normal parasitic losses will tend to run down a healthy battery in about 2~4 weeks of sitting.
Trying to start a car on a partially charged battery puts a terrible strain on the battery, wearing one out much faster than if its in a daily driver.

So, a tender is a great way to deal with all of the above.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I would take a look also after fixing parasite see what add ons are before the switch. What needs power 24/7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've purchased many tenders over the years for various vehicles and Harley's. Wasted money on brands that did not work as advertised. At the beginning of Covid my Cruiser sat for several months and the battery discharged so low I had to replace it. Researching I discovered the brand CTEK. Pricier than others but it actually works as advertised. What sold me on the product was a Jay Leno Youtube video where he stated that he replaced all his tenders with CTEK products.

I'll never purchase another brand.

·
Registered
425 Posts
PatriotFJ,
Attached are 2 Jay Leno Youtube videos. The first is a review of CTEK products. In the second video he's standing beside a pallet of CTEK chargers which he ordered for his shop. FYI, If you purchase CTEK, also get their quick connect harness and extension.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cteks got a lot of features. The price sure reflects that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought one of these years ago due to the wife's car needing a full charge. I got it for sale at Auto Zone or Advance for like $49.99. I didn't have time to do any charger shopping or research beforehand and is still working great after many years. It charges and maintains(long term trickle charge storage) regular and AGM batteries.

For the FJ, I can fit the whole unit under the hood between the air filter box and firewall and completely close the hood.

I'm not sure if I would use it for long term trickle charging due to it having a fan. If the fan is always running the charger will probably build up with too much dust over time. It's been a while since I have used mine and I don't remember if the fan turns off after the battery is fully charged and the charger automatically switches itself to trickle charging.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought one of these years ago due to the wife's car needing a full charge. I got it for sale at Auto Zone or Advance for like $49.99. I didn't have time to do any charger shopping or research beforehand and is still working great after many years. It charges and maintains(long term trickle charge storage) regular and AGM batteries.

For the FJ, I can fit the whole unit under the hood between the air filter box and firewall and completely close the hood.

I'm not sure if I would use it for long term trickle charging due to it having a fan. If the fan is always running the charger will probably build up with too much dust over time. It's been a while since I have used mine and I don't remember if the fan turns off after the battery is fully charged and the charger automatically switches itself to trickle charging.

It also charges/maintains Deep-Cycle batteries too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It also charges/maintains Deep-Cycle batteries too.
And it will try to repair a Sulfated battery if detected:

DESULFATION MODE The display will show “SUL” when a sulfated battery is detected, and the charger will go into desulfation mode. If the desulfation is not successful after 10 hours, the charger will go into abort mode.

So, this charger pretty much does it all and more. If you can find one on sale, I'd say give it consideration.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Comes with a 5 year warranty too 🤔
Good point! Just saw that on their website. My Schumacher only has a 2yr warranty so, based on warranties the CTEK is probably a higher quality product. When/if my Schumacher bites the dust, I'll probably go with a CTEK.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts