Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have no idea about this speakers, but without an amp I don't really see too much of improvement. I know 99% of the people with the bazooka subwoofer have rattle noises.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I can buy a set of speakers from Crutchfield for $39.99 and get the actual Toyota grilsl for $42 and still have spent less than the Bazooka ones, but some folks just like it to be plug and play.

I won't be using the Bazooka speakers for the rear, but I did get the Bazooka sub becuase I liked that factory look it has and the fact that it plugs right in to the harness and what not.

Sometimes I'm willing to work things out like the speakers and with other things I just want it made easier for me like the sub.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed the Bazooka rear speakers two weeks ago, and the Bazooka sub this past weekend. My only complaint about either, is that I didn't receive instructions or templates for either - and was too impatient to wait on Bazooka to send them.

The sub is straight forward and pretty self explanatory - and I did take "hpiguys" suggestion to use some rubber weather stripping on the edges of everything - and as such, I have zero rattles.

The rear speakers are a direct drop in - no holes to drill for the speakers themselves, and they come with a plug which attaches directly to the factory harness. Cutting the hole in the factory panels was a bit interesting without having the required template. I just measured about five times, measured a couple more, and cut once. It worked out in the end. I have a Dremel tool with a circle cutter attachment, and it made short work of the actual cutting.

I currently have the base stereo system. With just the rear speakers added, there was a noticeable increase in the fill and sound imaging. Pulled it up off the floor and more into the center where it should be. I have no complaints with them. The sub added a ton of low end. I have the gain less then 50% turned up and it is still almost too much for the rest of the system. It sounds very nice and clean though.

The only thing the factory system is missing now, is some decent mid range. The sub has a built in crossover at 85hz. The factory speakers probably don't respond below 150hz very well. As such, there is a gap in mid range/ mid bass.

I have a Kenwood DNX8120 that I will be installing as time permits. It should help the factory speakers sound a bit better. We'll see. All in all, I am happy with the current sound.

Anyway, my point of responding to this thread, was to put up a couple quick pictures of the rear speaker grills installed. Hopefully these are a bit better then those horrible ones on Bazookas site.

Dan.

PS - It also helps that the speakers, the sub, and the sub switch were all given to me as a gift..!!! Makes the price tough to beat. :rocker:

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Sub:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turbo4door,
how do these grills compare to the factory ones? do toyota's have the entire piece covered in cloth or do they look similar?
thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
The factory rear speaker covers are very similar to the Bazooka grills, and are NOT covered in fabric.

If you search Ebay for "FJ Cruiser Speaker Covers" there are usually a few listings for the factory covers that have pictures.

Dan.

·
Registered
41 Posts
installed the sub with the weather stripping instructions as well. I have a MEAN rattle still. It seriously sounds like its coming from within the sub, not the mounting hardware. anyone else experiance or have ideas as to what I may be? thought Id try this before I dismantle the sub!

Thanks all

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not a fan of the Bazooka speakers or sub. Better than none, but upgrade if you can afford it to a higher end. They make better bubble gum than speakers. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the Bazooka Rear 3.5 speakers and installed into a stock 6 speaker system. I hate them....that sound really bad, the grills that came with it looks cheap. I want out!!

Anyone know of a good 3.5 to 4.0 speaker with full sound for the back? don;t want to spend a lot....I think I wasted 100 on these Bazookas......THey said they were 2 ways I hear 1 way!!! Please help and advise....I don't want to get into the Sub woofer game ..just want a nice rear speaker...that goes good with the stock radio. HELP ME !

DAVE in Missouri NEW OWNER OF A 2010 SunFUsion FJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts