Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post ,is it necessary to fully air down to be on the beach and what is the best gears or set up to driving to 2014 Dj.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Airing down definetly helps. I just drive in 4HI. Tire pressure at about 20 psi works nice for me. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
It depends on the sand. There are all kinds of sand! Sometimes it just about as good as pavement and you'll see all kinds of 2WD cars zooming around. There is hot, dry, deep sugar sand that will suck you in and and require 12 pounds of air in your tires and maybe at least a rear locker. If you're going to need to air down there will usually be a few people at air stations near the beach. Stop and talk to them, or the people airing down before getting on the sand.

Things are usually somewhere in between the extremes. If you're careful and don't break down, you'll probably make it back if you go out on the beach. Try it, adjust as necessary. Have fun.

TT

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
California vehicles with as much rust underneath as the ones from the salty, rust belt states in the North East, those are the ones that were driven in the surf. I wonder how much salt is mixed in the dry beach sand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for come back, this is a big change previous Cherokee owner, not afraid to get stuck i just keep hearing how wonderful FJ handle we wiil see!

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,312 Posts
please stay in 4H.. 4L is for crawling and in the sand you aren't crawling . Wiseman once said, " if you're in trouble, Gas it!" .. and you can't gas it in 4L

·
Admin
6,587 Posts
please stay in 4H.. 4L is for crawling and in the sand you aren't crawling . Wiseman once said, " if you're in trouble, Gas it!" .. and you can't gas it in 4L
I tend to catch air if I go too fast... :lol:
And with this heavy beast.... going airborne isn't a great idea.

All my wheeling is in 4Lo.... I can gas it when needed but I don't need to go faster than it's top speed.

The loose sand stuff around here has a lot of dips and stuff... there are no nice long stretches where I can get up to speed on.

·
Registered
949 Posts
15 psi and 4H is how I roll when in sand. Never even came close to getting stuck.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,312 Posts
I tend to catch air if I go too fast... :lol:
And with this heavy beast.... going airborne isn't a great idea.

All my wheeling is in 4Lo.... I can gas it when needed but I don't need to go faster than it's top speed.

The loose sand stuff around here has a lot of dips and stuff... there are no nice long stretches where I can get up to speed on.
being in 4H isn't about going fast, it's about wheel spin and RPM's. if in trouble and to keep momentum 4L gearing is too low, you want to be in 4H to get the tires spinning and it also comes with learning throttle control. It's not always about speed, it's about keeping momentum. Best example i can give referring to my picture: Some dunes are not level at the bottom which you are then caught up in a Bowl that you have to climb up to get out. If creeping down the big dune face such as I am in the picture in order to climb up and out of the Bowl I would have to gas it at the bottom to get the needed momentum to climb out. If in 4L the gearing isn't enough to get the needed tire spin/speed/momentum... i hope this makes some sort of sense. I'm just trying to look out for you and others. It's not fun having to ask jeep guys to pull you out because of inexperience

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,312 Posts
crawling down a big dune such as the one I went down you also have to learn brake control. Slam on the brake too hard and the front end can dig in causing a roll over.. not enough brake will cause going down too fast causing someone to panic and slam on brakes causing a roll over.. and the bottom of the dune the transition might not be smooth causing the front end to hit really hard. I know, i've gone down dunes, AND up them too fast and the hard transition are almost like hitting a brick wall at too much of an angle. Ride safe! and Don't Be That Guy!

·
Admin
6,587 Posts
I use my gearing to go down big dunes (gear down).... the ones around here can be pretty steep so if you touch your brakes your are going to end up going sideways.

I'm not typically the one that has issues...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hold your traction control button for at least 5 seconds to ensure all nannies are off. There should be 2 lighted icons that turn on to show they are off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts