Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Trying to plan a trip with the gf and the dogs for the end of May and would like to know of some beaches around the northeast.

Main things I'm looking for is a beach that allows you to swim, bring dogs, and be able to drive on beach.

Also looking to haVe nearby boardwalks/shops along the beach ( restaurants, souvenir shops, etc)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can drive on some of the beaches here on the eastern half of Long Island, but you'll needs permits(NY state $110 for out of staters, East Hampton town $200-$250, Federal owned beach/land $50, or Suffolk County $95). It can get pricey, I live here and only get two of the four. Also, we have no boardwalks or any "touristy" style of beaches here. Montauk is touristy (no boardwalk, just hotels and a few bars), but that is the East Hampton permit. All beach buggy vehicles are strictly for fishing, and a few access spots are for surfing. No dogs or tents (camping) on state beaches.

If you're looking more of a vacation style wheeling trip, you may be better off up on the Cape. Or possibly some beaches in Jersey, but I am unsure of any regulations in Jersey.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Only beaches in New England that I know of that you can drive on are on Cape Cod. Lots of restaurants and shops in Provincetown, as long as you don't mind the overwhelmingly gay local populace.
You will also need a permit and some recovery gear. I've been looking into this trip as well and hope to get down there this summer.

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yep, $50 for a 7-day pass. Here's all the details: Cape Cod National Seashore Oversand Beach Driving (U.S. National Park Service)

Also, more driving area tends to be open later in the year, like August - October, because all the nesting seabirds are done nesting.
Damn Piping Plovers. They close off a lot of the beach that's closest to me every year. I hate birds!:flame:

And as was mentioned before, recovery gear is a must; Air compressor, tow strap, jack, jack board, spare tire & shovel. Never hurts to carry a spare $20 in your wallet either. Gotta tip the guy who helps dig you out. At some access points, you must carry a "toilet" as well. Also must carry a fishing rod and lures for everyone in the vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also now you must have a salt water fishing license its free online BUT because you are supposed to be actively fishing that means everyone in the truck. Every one needs a salt water fishing license. My friend Got 3 tickets last week because did not have fishing license for everyone over 18. Only on long island do they break your chops ,unfortunately the park system on long island is all about the $$. It is to the point I am afraid to go to Smiths point they find any reason to give you a ticket, besides it wont be open this year anyhow , it never is.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Assateague island on the Maryland side is good and Ocean City's 15 minuets away. Theres good camping, a lot of wild life and the Town of Berlin have some great restaurants but sorry no dogs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
Assateague island on the Maryland side is good and Ocean City's 15 minuets away. Theres good camping, a lot of wild life and the Town of Berlin have some great restaurants but sorry no dogs.
No dogs on Assateague???? Since when? Two years ago I had a house in OC, and we took my two Bull Terriers there all the time!:frown

1 - 12 of 12 Posts