Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Illegal for onroad use. I have heard a ton of rumors regarding the use of beadlock wheels and whether or not they are technically illegal. i did some research and here is what I came up with:

I spoke with Melissa Vangorkam (I'm sure I butchered her last name) who is the equipment standards guru for WA DOT, and she said that all wheels and tires have to be approved by the Federal DOT for use on public roads. That being the case, she said that Beadlock wheels (with few if any exceptions) are illegal and that if caught (and at the officers discretion), one could receive a "equipment violoation" ticket that would cost you $124 here in WA state.

Maybe some of the cops out there could weigh in on this as well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've had beadlocks for 2 years on the FJ here in Colorado. I think you answered your own question with the comment that your lady at the DOT answered with. "IF YOU GET CAUGHT" . Most officers are not actively looking for the violation as they have more pressing issues to look for.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've had beadlocks for 2 years on the FJ here in Colorado. I think you answered your own question with the comment that your lady at the DOT answered with. "IF YOU GET CAUGHT" . Most officers are not actively looking for the violation as they have more pressing issues to look for.
Like, hmmmmm should I have the Chocolate covered Krispy Kreme donut or the creme filled one....:lol:, had to throw that one out....Love the Law enforcement officials...as my family has a few, and I once wanted too be one "Book Em Dan-o"...

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Illegal for onroad use. I have heard a ton of rumors regarding the use of beadlock wheels and whether or not they are technically illegal. i did some research and here is what I came up with:

I spoke with Melissa Vangorkam (I'm sure I butchered her last name) who is the equipment standards guru for WA DOT, and she said that all wheels and tires have to be approved by the Federal DOT for use on public roads. That being the case, she said that Beadlock wheels (with few if any exceptions) are illegal and that if caught (and at the officers discretion), one could receive a "equipment violoation" ticket that would cost you $124 here in WA state.

Maybe some of the cops out there could weigh in on this as well.
First off, NEVER, EVER believe what someone tells you even if they are a state official, unless you see it in writing. That being said, find the exact WA statute that says that beadlock wheels are illegal, otherwise, it's just heresay.

Sean

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Move to California, the Sunshine State.

They're legal here.

You can't bring a gun with you but you can roll on the highway to your heart's content with beadlock wheels.:lol:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Move to California, the Sunshine State.

They're legal here.

You can't bring a gun with you but you can roll on the highway to your heart's content with beadlock wheels.:lol:
not true, DOT is federal! If you dont have DOT on your rim it dont matter what state u are in you can get a violation. Ya think they make diffrent rims for each state, nope. Its not a matter of safety , or getting a ticket or not. DOT must be on the rim if its a spinner rim, a 24" gold bling bling, or bead locks. The first post is right.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
not true, DOT is federal! If you dont have DOT on your rim it dont matter what state u are in you can get a violation. Ya think they make diffrent rims for each state, nope. Its not a matter of safety , or getting a ticket or not. DOT must be on the rim if its a spinner rim, a 24" gold bling bling, or bead locks. The first post is right.
A state employee can't enforce federal law -- unless they're cross designated as a Deputy United States Marshal. So the highway patrol, sheriff's departments and municipal police can't enforce the federal criminal statutes or the regulatory (non-criminal) DOT regulations. Maybe the Border Patrol? I'm trying to come up with somebody who would enforce the federal highway code.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
A state employee can't enforce federal law -- unless they're cross designated as a Deputy United States Marshal. So the highway patrol, sheriff's departments and municipal police can't enforce the federal criminal statutes or the regulatory (non-criminal) DOT regulations. Maybe the Border Patrol? I'm trying to come up with somebody who would enforce the federal highway code.
Wait what? You sure as heck can get a ticket for Federal violations, by a Highway patrol. The some laws that big rigs have to follow are set by the DOT, like the amount of hours you can drive. If u have unsafe equipment for highway use in any state something can be done about that. Certain parts of your car with out a DOT approval are considered unsafe for on road use. IE head lights have federal standards.

PS Gun and Drug laws are federal and sure as hell enforced.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
This is the 5th time IVe posted this

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations

Standard No. 120 - Tire Selection and Rims for Motor Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars - Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, and Motorcycles, to Rims for use on those vehicles, and to Non-Pneumatic Spare Tire Assemblies for use on those vehicles
(Effective 8-1-76)
This standard specifies tire and rim selection requirements and rim marking requirements. Its purpose is to provide safe operational performance by ensuring that vehicles to which it applies are equipped with tires of adequate size and load rating and with rims of appropriate size, type designation, and manufacturer identification.

Standard No. 120: Tire Selection and Rims
Scope and Purpose:
This standard specifies tire and rim selection requirements and rim marking requirements. The purpose of this standard is to provide safe operational performance by ensuring that vehicles to which it applies are equipped with tires of adequate size and load rating and with rims of appropriate size and type designation.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It's just like HID Kits, they are not DOT approved, doesn't stop anyone from using them. Drive in Miami and you'll see them in every other car. By the way, Florida is the Sunshine State! California is the Golden State :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
It's just like HID Kits, they are not DOT approved, doesn't stop anyone from using them. Drive in Miami and you'll see them in every other car. By the way, Florida is the Sunshine State! California is the Golden State :)
Some HID lights are DOT approved. Most if not all are OME.

PS The helmet law is federal, try driving a motorcycle with out a helmet and not getting a ticket from someone state or county employed

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I personally don't care. There ARE DOT approved beadlock wheels out there, so beadlocks are not illegal outright regardless. There are also tons of faux beadlocks that look just like the real thing to a highway patrol officer sitting in his car. How many people do you know that have been pulled over or cited for this violation? I'd be pretty surprised if anyone can find a documented case of this ticked being issued. I'll be running my beadlocks on public roads, and I'm not worried the least bit.

Never take legal advice from anyone but a lawyer. Not a cop, not a state official.... just a lawyer. And just incase you ever do get arrested, keep your mouth shut until you speak to a lawyer. Once they read your rights, don't say one single word.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I personally don't care. There ARE DOT approved beadlock wheels out there, so beadlocks are not illegal outright regardless. There are also tons of faux beadlocks that look just like the real thing to a highway patrol officer sitting in his car. How many people do you know that have been pulled over or cited for this violation? I'd be pretty surprised if anyone can find a documented case of this ticked being issued. I'll be running my beadlocks on public roads, and I'm not worried the least bit.

Never take legal advice from anyone but a lawyer. Not a cop, not a state official.... just a lawyer. And just incase you ever do get arrested, keep your mouth shut until you speak to a lawyer. Once they read your rights, don't say one single word.
Its not the ticket ID worry about.
If some accident happened even remotely involving your rim you set you self up for trouble. Not just with your insurance denying the claim but in a civil suit damages are awarded on a percentage of fault.
(in fact when I made a claim the adjuster not only looked at my Pro-comp rims with a fake bead lock , he ran his hand behind the bolts)
Again with the recall issue the NTHSA cant issue a safety recall a specific rim with out a DOT stamp.

·
Registered
804 Posts
And yet after all this, I have no clue what beadlocks do!!! And if someone says "SEARCH" I will kill them! :)

Reactions: flyingsod

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Its not the ticket ID worry about.
If some accident happened even remotely involving your rim you set you self up for trouble.
Point well taken.

As much as I/we/us have modified our cars beyond stock, there will always be these issues. I have an aux tank behind the rear axel. If it goes off like a howitzer shell with a rear impact (hopefully I'm parked and well away from the rig) people will question the non-DOT/non OEM tank. If I put molotov c0cktails on the roof (you may call them gas cans) or behind the spare and I'm hit, and they ignite, splashing a passer-by, the beadlock complaint will look small and insignificant.

I have a one million dollar umbrella liability policy to cover issues like this above and beyond the $400K liability on my auto policy. Hopefully nothing happens. If something happens, hopefully it's enough.

If MISSFJ, AIR2AIR or Sol Bechtold who have modified their FJ's a lot more than I have somehow loose control and smack somebody, there will be explaining to do. It comes with the turf.

And yet after all this, I have no clue what beadlocks do!!! And if someone says "SEARCH" I will kill them! :)
search ...

PS The helmet law is federal, try driving a motorcycle with out a helmet and not getting a ticket from someone state or county employed
It's also a state law. That's why for a long time (and it might still be true), you don't have to use a helmet in some states. It's a federal DOT regulation but it's not a criminal or vehicle code item unless enacted by a specific state. That's why I said that beadlocks are legal in California. I haven't done research in for other states.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Some HID lights are DOT approved. Most if not all are OME.

You can ride without a helmet in SC and KY. I'm sure there are more states with no helmet laws.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
My last job (before I became a self-employed consultant) was with the Orange County District Attorney's Office. I had the Writs and Appeals section (legal research attorneys) scour the codes for any indication that using beadlock wheels was illegal. It's not. Period.

Please find the code.

Federal officers can't enforce state laws. State officers can't enforce federal law unless there is some sort of dispensation such as Special Deputation to a US Marshal.* There is confusion when there is a federal law with a mirror state law. For example, it's not double jeopardy under the law to be tried for Grand Theft in the Superior Court of the State of California and to be tried in Federal District Court for Mail Fraud under the same IDENTICAL circumstances. Two systems, separation of a federated system of government.

* Under 18USC1962 (Racketeering and Corrupt Organizations) a federal officer could use state felonies as predicate acts for a RICO prosecution but it's well beyond beadlock use.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You can ride without a helmet in SC and KY. I'm sure there are more states with no helmet laws.
Heres a great site about helmet laws , you made me curious. 50 State Helmet Law Review BUT the ones that are legal had to do a lot of fighting to append the DOT rule. I dont think anyone has fought to make a state law to append the federal law on rims and tires.

now back to the reruns

I have some street racers at my work, the police hammer them. They get pulled over all the time and must have proper DOT everything, proper smog everything. They also need receipts on hand for EVERY aftermarket part. Many times they have had cars towed and you cant have multi fix it tickets here. These are the guys that told me to be leery of beadlocks due to the non DOT. Now I consider a street racing car in a different world then a 4x4. But the advice made me look in to rims more. I called CHP and they said basically the same as post one.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts