Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that beadlocks are not street legal. Something about bolts backing out. Is this true?

I see lots of member's pictures with beadlocks wheels on in the driveway. Is this just for the photo?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I was under the impression that beadlocks are not street legal. Something about bolts backing out. Is this true?

I see lots of member's pictures with beadlocks wheels on in the driveway. Is this just for the photo?
please 'search' this many threads on this.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
in CA they are street legal, just not DOT approved.
Thats a contradiction, wheels need to be DOT approved to be street legal.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Well thats what i got out of the most recent thread..

This confusion will never end will it?
Nope never ever! Last year I even posted the vehicle code that said what parts of a vehicle needs to be marked DOT approved. Wheels were on it in black and white. People still wanted to argue.

·
Registered
804 Posts
So excuse my knowledge, I have seen them and read about them, but what are beadlocks on the rims? What are the purpose of them!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
So excuse my knowledge, I have seen them and read about them, but what are beadlocks on the rims? What are the purpose of them!
As others suggested, using the search function will give you a wealth of info (or confusion) on beadlocks. Regardless of their Legality, and there are DOT compliant, perfectly legal Beadlock Wheels available. Hutchinson and Centerline, among others make DOT approved designs.

The purpose if a beadlock is simply to lock the bead to the rim. There are a number of ways to go about this, but it basically involves some mechanism for pinching the tire bead against the lip. The advantage of a beadlock is that it allows you to run low tire pressure (important for many off road driving conditions) without worrying about popping the bead out and getting a flat on the trail. Normally air pressure keeps the bead seated on the rim. When you run low pressure, the bead can pop out. The lock ring also keeps the tire from spinning on the wheel. If the wheel spins and the tire doesn't, you obviously aren't going anywhere. I'm sure they may have some other functions, but that is the major reason for beadlocks.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts