Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK its time to try to get this ride going again. As stated, Im thinking of Feb 19th (Sat) and you can camp-the sites are nice. If you haven't read my previous posts, Bear Island has mostly graded trails, but great scenery and Lots of wildlife. However, there are a few trails where we can get dirty that I'd like to explore more with a few trucks. (Think bumpy, rocks, some mud, some holes, and wet if it rains for a few days) nothing crazy--it is the everglades.
If you look at the NPS map the bumpy trails are Ridge and Cypress trail, and one trail not connected to the rest that looks a little hairier-Hinson Trail

You do need a permit,inspection, and short video/test- $50 (good until Jan 31 2012). at the Oasis visitor center on Tamiami trail. In my past conversations with the rangers they said to call ahead if we had more than a couple trucks and they would expedite getting us through the process.

The dates are just a weekend I have off, if they don't work we can figure another date. I'll also ride before then if Im off (Loneuglyfish, Mcloud did you get your permits?)
POST UP- KID

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I'm a maybe, depends on what I can figure out at work. We did several trails yesterday after getting my permit and none of them were bad. There were a couple of holes that I got out to look at before heading through, but it was all pretty solid and dry. Yay for the dry season, unlike all the Youtube videos I found of Jeeps getting stuck and VERY wet.

I'll definitely be up on the 7th as a passenger/photographer though! :D

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Got the invite, and thankyou very much for thinking of me. I'm sorry to say that I am currently deployed overseas and will not be able to attend. Believe me, I am ITCHIN' to go wheelin' (maybe even camping, we'll see how I feel about THAT when I get back uprange). Save me a spot for next time!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hey thanks for the invite...It's up in the air at this point. I've been wheeling almost every wknd. I need new tires and brakes now and I'm hoping that my tax refund comes in before this time... If so... I'm In!

If I can go I will... Hopefully we get at least 10 trucks to participate!

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In case anyone wants to tag along, Loneuglyfish, Macleod and I will be going for a day trip on the 7th too--Loneuglyfish -I like the looks of the Gator camp-we can swing by there on the 7th and check it out-they are both nice camps-Kid

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Hey thanks for the invite...It's up in the air at this point. I've been wheeling almost every wknd. I need new tires and brakes now and I'm hoping that my tax refund comes in before this time... If so... I'm In!

If I can go I will... Hopefully we get at least 10 trucks to participate!
Howard, you need to come. I want to see everything you've managed to do to your FJ since you and I wheeled together in Harlan a couple of years ago! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I want I want!!! Currently in Spain visiting my Grandfather but I'll be back this Sunday. KID, please send me a PM with all the stuff that I need before the trip.

I'd like to go to both trips, the 7th and the 19. Hopefully I will be be off both wekends.

The FJ hasn't seen any dirt in months!

JP

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Scratch me on the 7th. Just realized it is a Monday.

No fun for me Mon - Fri...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Permits are open Fri-Mon, thats why Im going up on the 7th, they are already at about half the number they are allowed to give out for the year guys!
I think this early trip is good so everyone can hurry up and get their permits verses late in the year when permits will be GONE! :(

KID- Yeah we went on Windmill so we passed that camp, something to do Monday ;)

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Howard, you need to come. I want to see everything you've managed to do to your FJ since you and I wheeled together in Harlan a couple of years ago! :bigthumb:
Hey Jen, I really hope things line up for me...It will be excellent to see you again! I didn't realize your living down in the Keys? When I met you in Harlan KY. did you drive all that way? Or did you move or something like that...I thought you were from Virginia from what I recall :lol:

Anyway... I will do my best to get the time off and hopefully have the Brakes and Tires before then. :cheers:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hey Jen, I really hope things line up for me...It will be excellent to see you again! I didn't realize your living down in the Keys? When I met you in Harlan KY. did you drive all that way? Or did you move or something like that...I thought you were from Virginia from what I recall :lol:
I stole her...

Facebook Event

I MAY be able to get some event stickers! no promises yet!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sucks JP--PM'D ya
Howie- let's go man-- I want to see a battle of the monster Fj's on a wet trail I have picked out way out in the back.....Ha Ha!!

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts

Anyway... I will do my best to get the time off and hopefully have the Brakes and Tires before then. :cheers:
Yeah, I was living in VA when we met in Harlan. I've been in Key West since last May. Followed a dream down here and decided to stay.

I stole her...
:rolleyes: Yes you did. :kiss:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
BRO!!! Time is crawling! :ugh:
It's really dragging A$$ :mecry: I need my Tax refund asap! Then I need a week to get chit done! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 164 Posts