Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all was watching a thing on TV a while back and thought it was pretty informative, when you are looking to buy new tires be sure to check the manufacture date before you buy them. heres how

On the inner wall of the tire (near the rim) there will be an oval shape with some numbers in it (may also be on the back of the tire) the numbers might look like 3307 or 0733 etc... this is the manufacture date the 33 indicates the week of the year they were made and the 07 is the year, i have done some looking around at different places that sell tires and some of the ones they keep on the shelf are a few years old and they are selling them as if brand new and i have seen older as well.

I'm not to sure of the science of it but i think a tire has a shelf life on it when not on a car and the show says you are at risk of a blow out if you happen to get a "new tire" made 5 or 6 years ago. So if you are going for new rubber ask to see the tires that are going on your car and check the date, if you get one of those tires don't be afraid to tell the installer that you want a newer tire

if this is old news i apologize for the repost

·
Registered
630 Posts
Good info. I am probably going to pick up and have my new tires mounted tomorrow. I will check to see if I can find the date. How old can a tire be before I should ask for a "newer" one?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i had a friend who works at a tire installation place tell me that tires have a shelf life of 5 years if stored properly, he also said that the showroom tires don't get rotated with the stock in the back so make sure to check the ones the person is installing on your vehicle :bigthumb:

ultimately you want tires produced within the year you buy them, or around 1-2 years old max, i mean you do want new ones right :p

·
Registered
455 Posts
Oh Dear Lowered!!
Something else to concern myself with. I was perfectly content with the old, ignorant me. I think Im going to give my computer away.
Too much info.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Obviously we all want the best for what we pay for and this is good information. Honestly though, we seemed to have gone along just fine thinking that the tires that we bought were fine and dandy... I've seen this in the news lately and there's even a proposal to require expiration dates on tires. I wonder how much more this is going to cost us in the long run. Yeah, I'm going to keep my eye on the mfg date the next time I buy tires...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how old is too old?

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is the first thing I did before they installed my new BFG`s yesterday.

Pleasant suprise of first week of Januaury 08.

I hope them tire dudes were not still recovering from New Years eve all week like I was !?:cheers:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
good info but if ordering say online from someone it would be impossible to confirm until recieved?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts