Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice about what are the benefits or weaknesses of 16 inch vs 17 inch wheels on the FJ Cruiser. I am currently in the market for a new FJ 4x4 but I am completely new to offroading and am trying to get all the info I can before ordering a rig. I am leaning toward the 2011 trail teams special edition because of the the improvements in visibility and rear seat access. I just don't know if I should go with 16 or 17 inch wheels...is it more of an aesthetic aspect or do they make a functional difference. Thank you all in advance.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Re: Benifits and weaknesses of 16inch vs 17 inch wheels.

Hello and welcome! ^^^^^^X2.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

having smaller wheels, allows you to air down more which gives you more rubber for your four wheelin ride

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts

What Lee said plus with the same size diameter tire (ie 33") you will get more sidewall with a 16. Also, the same tire with the same size (ie 33x12.5) will cost less in a 16, this still makes no sense to me bacause you are getting more rubber with the 16 vs the 17.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

The way I see it, typically with a 16” wheel, the difference between the tire and rim radius is greater than with the 17” wheel. That gives you more air volume, more bounce (cushion), and as was said by Athena, ability to air down more.

The drawback I see is that your on-road ride will not be as stable, with more air volume being able to be mushed around.

Either way it won’t make / break your experience. Get what you want, and you’ll adapt your driving to accommodate.

Welcome to the FJ world!!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

16s will give a slightly softer ride given the same tire/air pressure.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

If you are looking at the 2011 TT edition, unless Toyota has changed something, the TT comes with 16" wheels. Problem solved!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

The way I see it, typically with a 16” wheel, the difference between the tire and rim radius is greater than with the 17” wheel. That gives you more air volume, more bounce (cushion), and as was said by Athena, ability to air down more.

The drawback I see is that your on-road ride will not be as stable, with more air volume being able to be mushed around.

Either way it won’t make / break your experience. Get what you want, and you’ll adapt your driving to accommodate.

Welcome to the FJ world!!! :bigthumb:

If you get a tire with a strong side wall, making for a stable ride. ;) Some rubber is a lot softer then other ..

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts

All that is theoretically true, however I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference in real life from 1" difference in diameter (only 1/2" difference in radius). :)
Very true Lee, not like comparing a 16" to a 20". I am still waiting for someone to explain the price differences for larger rim size tires that have to same outer diameter and width. Less rubber = more money :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
What Lee said plus with the same size diameter tire (ie 33") you will get more sidewall with a 16. Also, the same tire with the same size (ie 33x12.5) will cost less in a 16, this still makes no sense to me bacause you are getting more rubber with the 16 vs the 17.
X2

Cheaper tires with smaller rim sizes. A 16in mud terrain that costs 250 bucks normally costs about 300 for the 17" version.

I think the smaller rim with bigger side walls looks a lot better IMO for an offroad tire. It makes the tire look a lot bigger than it actually is with more sidewall.

·
Registered
483 Posts

i got a set of 16 inch wheels a few weeks ago and put mud tires on them for the winters, the only thing you have to worry about is the offset, because since the tires i got have no lip, they had to mount lead weights on the outside of the rim, they were scraping the break calipers, luckily at my local shop, they were able to put thinner weights. so just goes to show you have to be careful what you get with the 16s cause they may be tight, btw theyre atx mojaves

·
Registered
792 Posts

All that is theoretically true, however I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference in real life from 1" difference in diameter (only 1/2" difference in radius). :)
Listen to the Manic Mechanic--He always seems to know what he's talking about!

I personally like a 16" E rated Mud Tire (the Destination MT's I run have multiple steel belts and stronger, stiffer sidewalls which allows me to air WAYYY down for bad mud/snow conditions off road)

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

Listen to the Manic Mechanic--He always seems to know what he's talking about!

I personally like a 16" E rated Mud Tire (the Destination MT's I run have multiple steel belts and stronger, stiffer sidewalls which allows me to air WAYYY down for bad mud/snow conditions off road)
with a higher rated tire, you have tougher sidewalls making your on road experience very responsive like a 17" tire :rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

Personally, I prefer the look of a smaller rim and more tire. I wish I could put 15" on mine and then tires get even cheaper to buy too.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts

I agree 100% you will not notice 1/2 extra cushion.

How can you air down a 16" wheel more? Isn't 10lbs aired down the same in both size rims? You have more air volume with 16" but air pressure would be the same in both diamiters.

Biggest difference IMO is tire price

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts

Very true Lee, not like comparing a 16" to a 20". I am still waiting for someone to explain the price differences for larger rim size tires that have to same outer diameter and width. Less rubber = more money :confused:

Supply and demand. Although the truck car industry is catching up with larger wheels like 20" in the past it was rare to see 20+" wheels on new autos hense a more expensive tire because they made less.

I have 35" tires on 15" rims (mushy) but great to 4x4 on my jeep. 20" wheels on my FJ and Handling with the FJ is incredible on 20" wheels with strong side walls. I almost wish I wouldn't have lifted it because now the SC going in I might roll it, :( but oh well my wifes BMW will give me the handling fix if needed.
________
VAPORIZER-INFO

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

Adding to the point made above regarding supply and demand, you also add the cost of amortization of the molds and tooling for new tire sizes. That is why 15's are so much less expensive, their molds were paid for years ago.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts