Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Icons for the front. I already installed the OME Heavies (886's), which are good and a true 3 inch but they are way too heavy. Need the mediums at least, but if I do it again, I might as well get the good stuff. So, I might have a complete OME HD setup for sale soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Icons for the front. I already installed the OME Heavies (886's), which are good and a true 3 inch but they are way too heavy. Need the mediums at least, but if I do it again, I might as well get the good stuff. So, I might have a complete OME HD setup for sale soon.
So the OME lift is a true 3 and 3? Or only with the 886 heavy's?

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is a great question.

I am in the heat of this right now...Woodsman has been a great resource, thanks James.

There is a guy (Kirk) at the 4wheel parts store on Federal in Arvada Colorado. Pretty knowledgeable, worked for a long time at 4wheel parts and did a stint at Toytec. Kirk said something that I thought was interesting to me today, he said OME's will provide at a minimum 2.5, meaning what exactly?

I had the Pro-Comp 3" lift, cheap and plush..Loved it but alas it settled a ton over the last 6 months of it's 2 plus year life cycle. For what is cost and how much I wheeled on it, I am more then satisfied with the performance.

So I just picked up a set of Icon coilovers. Not sure what to do about replacing the rear, I finally decided to go with the OME mediums and OME shocks.

Sounds like anything softer then the medium stiffness will eventually sag?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a great question.

I am in the heat of this right now...Woodsman has been a great resource, thanks James.

There is a guy (Kirk) at the 4wheel parts store on Federal in Arvada Colorado. Pretty knowledgeable, worked for a long time at 4wheel parts and did a stint at Toytec. Kirk said something that I thought was interesting to me today, he said OME's will provide at a minimum 2.5, meaning what exactly?

I had the Pro-Comp 3" lift, cheap and plush..Loved it but alas it settled a ton over the last 6 months of it's 2 plus year life cycle. For what is cost and how much I wheeled on it, I am more then satisfied with the performance.

So I just picked up a set of Icon coilovers. Not sure what to do about replacing the rear, I finally decided to go with the OME mediums and OME shocks.

Sounds like anything softer then the medium stiffness will eventually sag?
With that said, how long have you had the OMEs and how do you like them?
How is the ride? Do you have extra weight like the mediums say they are for?
lol. Enough questions?

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
It depends on what kind of weight you have on the rig front and back.

I have an OME lift and got almost exactly 2".

I have an ARB bumper on the front with a Warn M8000, and an All-Pro bumper in back with a Tuffy box full of stuff.

I actually went to the (OME) 896 - Heavy Duty Coil Springs (Prado Springs) in back because the rig was sagging a bit in back with the 895's.

The 896's are pretty stiff and did take some getting used too. They have also settled in now a bit more as well.

Obviously 3" lifts are not always 3".

Here is all the info on my suspension:

Front:
Stock UCA's (replaced at 80k with and new slightly used set - (thanks Sang)
Old Man Emu (OME) 886 - Heavy Duty Coil Springs - 2” (51mm”) Lift
Old Man Emu (OME) Nitrocharger Sport Shocks (Struts) OME 60004
replaced: Old Man Emu (OME) N140S - Firm Struts - these lasted over 80k and were great.

Rear:
Old Man Emu (OME) 896 - Heavy Duty Coil Springs (Prado Springs) - 2” (51mm)
replaced: Old Man Emu (OME) 895 - Medium Duty Coil Springs - 2” (51mm) Lift
Old Man Emu (OME) Nitrocharger Sport Shocks (Struts) OME 90000
replaced: Old Man Emu (OME) N141 -Heavy Duty Nitrocharger Shock - these lasted over 80k and were great.
Toy Outfitters Lower Control Arms - Control Arms
Toy Outfitters Rear Upper Control Arms Control Arms

-

·
Registered
739 Posts
Haven't installed the new lift yet, doing that tomorrow.

I went with OME 895s and 80 series OME shocks for the rear..Sounds like the 80 series OMEs are rated better for all the rear weight. We will see.

Check out what I just realized with my Pro Comps...Must have happened on my Maze Utah trip and only just now noticed..I know embarrasing that I just realized, oh well...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
OME does not advertize their kits as 3". I don't have a catalog in front of me but I think it states 2.0 or maybe 2.5". And that is subject to so much differences in weight carried. I installed OME heavy in front and it raised the truck 3.5" with an ARB bumper and winch. Did OME medium in rear and got about 3" lift. In 2 years of use both ends have sagged some but as both bumpers have been changed I can no longer measure from same reference point so am only guessing that I have lost about 1 to 1.5" of travel. But long ago I installed air bags in rear to carry more tongue weight while towing so I can litterally adjust the rear height several inches, probably about 4" above no load setting.

I expect to replace some of my suspension soon and are leaning towards Icon or Toytec coilovers in front and rear shocks only. OME coils with the air bags are working fine so far in the rear.

Chris, I too have had that embarressing feeling when I once inspected my truck and found an OME shock had spilled its guts. I have lost 2 in 2.5 years of use. I once broke a shock bracket on my Sportsmobile and was actualy pissed at myself for having it brought to my attention by a tire guy. But even worse I heard of a Sporstmobile owner who had a shock break and came through the floor of his van and he did not know it until it came in for service. I guess he liked his radio LOUD.

Alan

·
Registered
297 Posts
Haven't installed the new lift yet, doing that tomorrow.

I went with OME 895s and 80 series OME shocks for the rear..Sounds like the 80 series OMEs are rated better for all the rear weight. We will see.

Check out what I just realized with my Pro Comps...Must have happened on my Maze Utah trip and only just now noticed..I know embarrasing that I just realized, oh well...

Oh Damn! What the hell happened to the bottom of your strut? Is that a clean break or is it folded over??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts