Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '08 FJ. I'm a LandCruiser guy and have a '78 FJ40 for serious off-roading. But the wife snd I wanted something more comfortable for trips, daily driver and some mid-range off roadng, so I bought an FJ.

A mild lift is in order for the FJ, I'd like to run 33's. Money is tight at the moment, so I am avoiding higher end supsension options.

My choices are the following and the prices include shipping to me on the East Coast:

3" Rough Country leveling kit with front spacer, rear coils and shocks - $270.

2.5" Billstein leveling kit with adjustable front shocks and rear shocks w/rear spacers - $370.

3" Pro Comp lift with front and rear coils and 4 shocks - $470.

Opinions?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Only issue with option 2 is that it has rear spacers instead of new coils, but if you're not off-roading it then that's probably not a big issue.

I've had the RC lift for a little over 18 months now and overall it's been a good lift. I did manage to blow both rear shocks (no idea how) but they were replaced under warranty (only a 1 yr warranty though). Am now upgrading to Icon up front, but for a daily driver RC would be fine.

If you're willing to spend the extra money the other 2 kits will provide an improved ride obviously. I think it's going to just come down to how much money you're willing to spend. But for a daily driver the RC lift will probably be sufficient.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only issue with option 3 is that it has rear spacers instead of new shocks, but if you're not off-roading it then that's probably not a big issue.

I've had the RC lift for a little over 18 months now and overall it's been a good lift. I did manage to blow both rear shocks (no idea how) but they were replaced under warranty (only a 1 yr warranty though). Am now upgrading to Icon up front, but for a daily driver RC would be fine.

If you're willing to spend the extra money the other 2 kits will provide an improved ride obviously. I think it's going to just come down to how much money you're willing to spend. But for a daily driver the RC lift will probably be sufficient.
Not sure what you mean, all three kits include rear shocks.

Reactions: klittle09

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to clarify kit content, here are the links for each kit.

A. Rough Country - $270 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Suspension Lift

B. Bilstein is this kit plus rear spacers - $370- Bilstein Shocks 5100 Series - 07-Up Toyota FJ Cruiser - eBay (item 120688197909 end time Mar-23-11 11:08:13 PDT)

C. ProComp -$470 - Pro Comp Suspension Systems K5074B - Pro Comp 4WD Suspension Lift Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

A. The RC kit is the simplest, cheapest and easiest to install. Probably most bang for the buck, but it doesn't address the shock needs for the front.

B. The Bilstein kit probably provides the best all around shock option, but it does nothing to upgrade the stock coils. That can be addressed in the future when and if I add aftermarket bumpers, winch, etc.

C. The ProComp kit is complete and the more complex installation. The only complaints I have heard about this system is that it sometimes gives more than 3" of lift after initial installation.

Reactions: klittle09

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just to clarify kit content, here are the links for each kit.

A. Rough Country - $270 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Suspension Lift

B. Bilstein is this kit plus rear spacers - $370- Bilstein Shocks 5100 Series - 07-Up Toyota FJ Cruiser - eBay (item 120688197909 end time Mar-23-11 11:08:13 PDT)

C. ProComp -$470 - Pro Comp Suspension Systems K5074B - Pro Comp 4WD Suspension Lift Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

A. The RC kit is the simplest, cheapest and easiest to install. Probably most bang for the buck, but it doesn't address the shock needs for the front.

B. The Bilstein kit probably provides the best all around shock option, but it does nothing to upgrade the stock coils. That can be addressed in the future when and if I add aftermarket bumpers, winch, etc.

C. The ProComp kit is complete and the more complex installation. The only complaints I have heard about this system is that it sometimes gives more than 3" of lift after initial installation.
My suggestion would be to wait longer and save some more money up to get an OME lift. A lot of people get something different (like the three choices, I am one of those people) then want to upgrade later (which I did). Better just to do it right once IMO. A lot of people do like those three choices though.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I would take a look at OME lifts too

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Not sure what you mean, all three kits include rear shocks.
Mean to say option 2 doesn't include new rear coils, I just got all mixed up :lol:

And I may be mistaken but looking at that eBay page I don't see where it includes coil spacers for the rear...

Saving up and buying OME right off the bat isn't a bad idea, and like others I have the RC kit and am now upgrading. But in the end if you want the lift now, $250 for the RC kit isn't bad. Plus, in the future you could just upgrade the front to OME and leave the rear RC setup (which I'm doing w/ Icons) since it includes new coils and shocks.

You may also want to call/email Toytec, as they stock a lot of difefrent lift components and could probably set you up with a personalized setup that meets your needs and cost.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I agree with the old man emu it's what I'm running

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Although I greatly appreciate all the input on the OME, I'd like to get this thread back on the original track. There are reasons I picked the choices I provided and it wasn't done without researching each one here in the blue room, on MUD and elsewhere.

The OME is actually a 2" lift, not a 3". New bumpers are probably a year or so away, so I would have to go with the light version now and then upgrade next year to a heavy spring. Plus the $760 delivered cost is well outside my budget.

There is a reason I picked the 3 suspension options that I presented - I only have about $2500 available to spend on the truck. I need skidplating, rails, and tires which is going to burn a bit over 2 grand.

I need a lift to clear the larger tires that I will be purchasing within the next couple months and to provide more clearance on the trails I typically run. The stock 265/70/16 BFG LongTrails have 32K on them and just don't cut it in the mud we encounter here in the NorthEast. Since I am replacing tires, I might as well get the appropriate size and type. I'm either going to go with a 235/85/16 or 285/75/16.

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck for a lift that will make the truck handle as well or better than stock.

The RC lift is a cheap way to get by for now, although folks who have them seem to love them.

The Bilstein lift has the advantage of front shocks that can be set for different lift amounts. (The Bilstein kit I showed on eBay doesn't have the rear spacers, but the kit I am buying does have them, they just didn't have a good picture of the kit.) This kit would allow me to upgrade to heavier/taller springs in the future if I need them.

The ProComp kit is a fixed lift, but the springs are taller than stock. A lot of bang for the buck based on what I have read in the forums.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The pro comp kit is on sale at 4 Wheel Parts. It's $409 (plus tax) shipped free to a store if there's one near you.
I bought it today and paid $486 delivered to my door ($38 shipping and $44 tax).
Sale ends 3/31

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
OME is a 2.5" if you go with the 886 coils up front. I'm relatively sure the RC is around 2" as well. I've had both. Based on the three you've named, I'd go with the RC lift, mainly because it's the cheapest and whenever you do decide to upgrade, you'll be out the least amount of money.

You might look into a 4th option, that being just a level lift on the front. A lot of guys do that and run 285 70 17's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pro comp kit is on sale at 4 Wheel Parts. It's $409 (plus tax) shipped free to a store if there's one near you.
I bought it today and paid $486 delivered to my door ($38 shipping and $44 tax).
Sale ends 3/31
My price is $469 delivered and I am going to see if i can leverage the 4 Wheel Parts price to get my current supplier to come down a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OME is a 2.5" if you go with the 886 coils up front. I'm relatively sure the RC is around 2" as well. I've had both. Based on the three you've named, I'd go with the RC lift, mainly because it's the cheapest and whenever you do decide to upgrade, you'll be out the least amount of money.

You might look into a 4th option, that being just a level lift on the front. A lot of guys do that and run 285 70 17's.
Are the 886 the heavy coils? If so, I'd be nose high and stiff until I buy a bumper next year.

The RC is a 3" in the front and 2" in the rear.

I have 16" wheels, so those tires won't fit :) For some reason they don't make a 285/70/16 tire, but I prefer the narrower 75 aspect anyway. Skinnies are popular up here, that's why I am looking at the 235/85/16's as well. Less rolling resistance.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Are the 886 the heavy coils? If so, I'd be nose high and stiff until I buy a bumper next year.

The RC is a 3" in the front and 2" in the rear.

I have 16" wheels, so those tires won't fit :) For some reason they don't make a 285/70/16 tire, but I prefer the narrower 75 aspect anyway. Skinnies are popular up here, that's why I am looking at the 235/85/16's as well. Less rolling resistance.
I can confirm RC is 3" front and 2" rear, making the FJ level.

235/85/16 are going to be exactly the same size as stock (265/75/16). People that run skinnies on here (myself included) run 255/85/16, which is a 33" tire, and is even a smidge taller than most 285 tires. Most people on here who have also run 285s too report no different gas mileage. They're better for mud since they "cut" into the mud more than 285, but are worse for sand. I love my 255s :cheers:

If you're willing to drop the coin on the ProComp I'd say that's your best choice. Only real advantage to RC is that if/when you get a bumper and/or winch, it's easy to swap out the front for something that can handle the weight (OME, adjustable coil-overs) and you can leave the rear alone (unless you add a rear bumper, etc).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I installed the Rough Country lift and new Nitto 285's 1-1/2 weeks ago. I am 100% satisfied. I have no experience with any other lifts so I can't offer any comparison opinions.

I'm sure there are better upgrades available and I will look at replacing the spacers in front later, but I paid $224 for the RC760S lift, installed it myself and have no complaints.

Happy FJing

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
IMO for you the Bilstein option because you are adding more weight later and you will need to adjust the height. That is assuming you are not willing to upgrade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I paid $70.00 shipped for a 1.5" leveling kit off of Ebay that gave me a perfect level and allowed me to run 285/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrecs with no rubbing at all. That would be the cheapest option if you want to run larger tires while saving money for the lift of your choice when you have the cash.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts