Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get a 2 bike rack for my '14. It looks like the spare tire mount is the only one feasible if I stll want to open the rear dorr with the rack on. Any suggestions?
And please refer me to any discussion that deals with bike racks.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Spare tire mount would be the cheapest way to go.

I got a Yakima Swing daddy. Great for two bikes but can hold up to four! Works great.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a similar swing rack, but a Thule. Can't remember the model, but can easily handle four bikes.

fTire mounted racks can put more stress on the tailgate wheel mount, if loaded up with bikes. I'd be careful if you are carrying more than one at a time. A roof is a good place too, but it's quite a climb. If I don't have passengers, I fold down the seats and remove the head rests. After removing the front bike wheels, I can easily carry three bikes. The trick is to put them upright, not on top of each other. Sometimes, I'll put them handlebar down, and the rear wheel in first and use a cheap cargo strap to keep them from bouncing around. I've seen folks get several in a Subaru like this. Sometimes, i'll put the front fork between down in front of where the headrest can go.

this is a cool trick too https://goo.gl/zkTcs9

·
Registered
527 Posts
Trying to get a 2 bike rack for my '14. It looks like the spare tire mount is the only one feasible if I stll want to open the rear dorr with the rack on. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Thule Hitching Post Pro - Folding Tilting 4 Bike Rack w Anti-Sway - 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches Price: $199.00

I have both the above Thule 4 bike hitch mount and the Hollywood spare tire mount. I used the Thule for a couple of years and it works well. It even folds down so you can open the back door. It is expensive and pretty heavy. I ended up buying the Hollywood to keep mounted for convenience. It is so much easier to decide to go biking. Like other members have said, I wouldn't keep bikes on the back door for long periods or trips. In fact, I avoid opening the door even with just one bike mounted on the Hollywood. I can post pictures and models later.
UPDATE: Pictures. Normally I would not have both racks mounted, but it was not a problem for clearance. The last pic shows you can access the back some without even lowering the Thule. I now use the Hollywood for daily use and the Thule for travel/ multiple bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks.
I just went through this problem recently. I drive a 2011 FJ. I have a Thule T2 Pro and I absolutely love it. It was worth every penny but the only downside is I can't open the door all the way because the rack makes contact with the license plate. I can open the door plenty far to get in and out of the trunk and it folds up even with the spare tire sticking out. I can take pictures tomorrow during daylight so you can see what I'm talking about. I plan to go mountain biking in the afternoon.

From my research I found that raxter racks makes an extended version but is usually very limited on their availability. The Thule T2 and Thule T2 pro will both fit. I have seen people using dropped hitch tube so that the rack will actually sit lower than the door (I believe that is in the "best bike rack" thread but image is attached). Here's the thread: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/72651-best-bike-rack-fj-4.html#/topics/72651?page=1

The way I found the Thule is I went to the local bike shop and the employees were more than happy to test fit the rack. This is my strongest reccomendation because at this point I was paying $500 to hold my $3,700 mountain bike to my FJ. I wanted a good rack and this rack is far better than good. It is perfect for my FJ.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here's the pictures I took today.. this shows how it looks whithba bike. It also shows how the door is limited by my rack. you can adjust the rack to move it further out of the way but I don't have problems with how it is. I hope his helps! Good luck searching!

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use the Yakama Sparetime. It works great for carrying 2 bikes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good topic, I have another small problem, I want to use my bike when I go deer hunting. I use a hitch rack on the rear to hopefully haul the deer so a rear hitch rack is out. I recently added a front hitch for hauling surf rods so either a front hitch mount or the spare tire mount.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good topic, I have another small problem, I want to use my bike when I go deer hunting. I use a hitch rack on the rear to hopefully haul the deer so a rear hitch rack is out. I recently added a front hitch for hauling surf rods so either a front hitch mount or the spare tire mount.
You could give the Thule spare me a try. I keep a cover on my spare so it wasn't an option for me. You'd also still be able to open the door all the way from what I understand.

Here's a review of it from a previous thread: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/34634-thule-spare-me-bike-rack-review-7.html#/topics/34634?page=1

Here's a short thread about spare mounts in general: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/168401-spare-tire-mounted-bike-racks.html#/topics/168401?page=1

You can pretty much find any FJ bike rack from the link in my previous post. That comparison thread has a plethora of bike rack info (link: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/72651-best-bike-rack-fj-4.html#/topics/72651?page=1 )

·
Registered
527 Posts
Have you considered bike wheel keepers that mount to the hitch rack. That might leave room for a deer if you mount just one bike. You can buy the hardware in pairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use a 4" drop adapter with my Yakima bike rack. Can open the rear door with down and it has good clearance.
And it clears the spear tire. Once I figure out how to post a pic i will.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you considered bike wheel keepers that mount to the hitch rack. That might leave room for a deer if you mount just one bike. You can buy the hardware in pairs.
Where did you find these? Googled bike wheel keepers but can't them. Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
Where did you find these? Googled bike wheel keepers but can't them.
Thanks
Here are some leads:

Stromberg Carlson Cargo Caddy Bike RackStromberg Carlson CC-125 CARGO CADDY BIKE RACK
Item Number: 375-CC125
Manufacturer: Stromberg Carlson
Manufacturer Part No: CC-125
Wal Mart $25

Paramount Work Force Bike Carrier 7703 Attachment for use with Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier 7700 & 7701. Bicycles must be tied down, tie-down straps not included. Carries Up To 3 Bikes
Holds Bicycles Upright. Mfg. Number: 7703

Tow Tuff Cargo Carrier With Bike Rack TTF-2762KR

Ultra-Tow 2-in-1 Steel Cargo Carrier with 4-Bike Rack ? 500-Lb. Capacity, Model# FTF-2762KR

Check out reviews at:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Stromberg-Carlson/CC-125.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Fiamma carry-bike backpack 4x4. They are rear wheel mounted,the bikes sit on a rail and are held via the wheels and a cross bar clamp which is easily articulated for different size bikes. It carrys the bikes up high out of they way and they swing away with the door when you open it. The main reasons we opted for this type of carrier were, Fiamma have a great reputation with huge market presence with spares readily available also we transfer the carrier from the spare wheel of our camper trailer to the back of the FJ when we are away so its perfect for us.
I am not sure about world wide available here is a link to an Australian reseller for reference.
http://www.northcoach.com.au/fiamma-carry-bike-backpack-4x4/#PhotoSwipe1503831339075

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here are some leads:

Stromberg Carlson Cargo Caddy Bike RackStromberg Carlson CC-125 CARGO CADDY BIKE RACK
Item Number: 375-CC125
Manufacturer: Stromberg Carlson
Manufacturer Part No: CC-125
Wal Mart $25

Paramount Work Force Bike Carrier 7703 Attachment for use with Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier 7700 & 7701. Bicycles must be tied down, tie-down straps not included. Carries Up To 3 Bikes
Holds Bicycles Upright. Mfg. Number: 7703

Tow Tuff Cargo Carrier With Bike Rack TTF-2762KR

Ultra-Tow 2-in-1 Steel Cargo Carrier with 4-Bike Rack ? 500-Lb. Capacity, Model# FTF-2762KR

Check out reviews at:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Stromberg-Carlson/CC-125.html
Found it, Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm happy with my 1UPUSA rack....I can't fully open the rear hatch with the rack tilted down/bike mounted but enough for me to get to the trunk if I needed but without a bike on and in the titled downward position the rear hatch opens with no issue. What's also nice is that I can go from my road bike to my 29er MTB without making any changes (takes seconds to secure the bike) and it'll expand to 4 bikes if I needed with additional racks. It's pricey to get started with but it's all aluminum (minus the bolts) and its mounted on my FJ from spring to fall with no issues. My only advice is to skip the black anodized one as it tends to turn brown over time.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts