Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a rooftop tent on my FJ and I'm wanting to go to the FJ Cruiser Summit in Ouray this year. Since I'll be pitching my tent each night after activities instead of being able to setup camp and leave it, I'd really like to figure out which campground is located closest to where the activities are for the Summit. Does anyone know where activities and vendors/etc are located during the event? Have a recommendation of which campground to choose (or even if there's just one you would avoid)?

Thanks in advance for your help! Keeping my fingers crossed I get my tickets tomorrow :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
The KOA just outside of town works out great. They have showers and it is only a few minutes from downtown.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,330 Posts
Ampitheater campground is pretty close to the Twin Peaks Lodge/Summit Headquarters, on the edge of town. I'm staying at the Lodge - hit me up if you want to get in to their thermal pools :smile Hope to see you there! - Deb

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I stayed at Ridgeway State park less than 10 Min away and very nice .Make sure you eat at the True grit in Ridgeway the food is great.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The KOA just outside of town works out great. They have showers and it is only a few minutes from downtown. [/IMG]

Do they get packed there? Is it typical for a line for bathrooms especially in the evening and the morning before events?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not usually a problem. I was doing mostly morning runs so was up and out early.

Reactions: equalme

·
Registered
222 Posts
I usually dislike developed campgrounds but the KOA in Ouray was great.

Reactions: equalme

·
Registered
468 Posts
There are a few in the area besides the KOA. If you turn right just before the amphitheater camp ground it takes you up a short 4x4 trail to another set of great campsites.
Thanks. I've been looking into them granted I make the registration cut in the next three minutes. Lol. Wifey is coming along so she will need wi-fi and the likes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good luck on the Wi-Fi. The whole town including the KOA have very limited Wi-Fi. Don't expect to upload lots of pictures or videos especially when a group is in town.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good luck on the Wi-Fi. The whole town including the KOA have very limited Wi-Fi. Don't expect to upload lots of pictures or videos especially when a group is in town.

Thanks. Wifey mainly needs it to keep in touch with her peers. She is starting medical school this fall and her orientation starts the Monday right after the Summit.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
33,503 Posts

This brings back memories and makes me chuckle. The first couple of times I went there I stayed at a motel just on the north end before you hit town that advertised having internet. The only way I could get a signal was to either sit out on the bench on the front porch or sit in my FJ depending on where I was parked at the motel and the FJ usually won because it was a lot warmer in the mornings. I was also with a group of about 20 people and some needed to check in with family to let them know they made it or make contact for some other reason. Only two of us had phones that could get a signal so we let everyone else use them to get in touch with their loved ones. That was the first and one of the only times I've ever used my allotted minutes on my phone plan before since my normal usage is less than 10 minutes a month. >:D

Reactions: Iconic_

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
We like the KOA, but after the first year learned that the cabin upgrade is well worth the cost, but no rooftop tent here. There are a lot of people staying there with RTT that set up every night and it seems to work out very well for them.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I stayed in a cabin at the KOA 2 years ago. I won't be back.

The bathrooms smelled bad 24/7. The employees were constantly driving around on golf carts just looking for a reason to hassle people. Every time they would remind me that my dog has to be on a leash. She was, I'm aware of the rules and wasn't doing anything wrong.

They had a band playing and the loudspeaker on. I'm there for some quite time, not to hear a garage band play twangy country music.

I much preferred the 4J campground.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
33,503 Posts
I stayed in a cabin at the Kia 2 years ago. I won't be back.

The bathrooms smelled bad 24/7. The employees were constantly driving around on golf carts just looking for a reason to hassle people. Every time they would remind me that my dog has to be on a leash. She was, I'm aware of the rules and wasn't doing anything wrong.

They had a band playing and the loudspeaker on. I'm there for some quite time, not to hear a garage band play twangy country music.

I much preferred the 4J campground.
Umm.........maybe you would have had better luck at a KOA or other campground instead of a Kia dealership. >:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist, I got a new toy I needed to try out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This brings back memories and makes me chuckle. The first couple of times I went there I stayed at a motel just on the north end before you hit town that advertised having internet. The only way I could get a signal was to either sit out on the bench on the front porch or sit in my FJ depending on where I was parked at the motel and the FJ usually won because it was a lot warmer in the mornings. I was also with a group of about 20 people and some needed to check in with family to let them know they made it or make contact for some other reason. Only two of us had phones that could get a signal so we let everyone else use them to get in touch with their loved ones. That was the first and one of the only times I've ever used my allotted minutes on my phone plan before since my normal usage is less than 10 minutes a month. >:D

lol good to know. What carrier do you have? My husband is on call in the Army and needs to be able to connect by phone at some point while we're at Summit

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
33,503 Posts
lol good to know. What carrier do you have? My husband is on call in the Army and needs to be able to connect by phone at some point while we're at Summit
Both of us had Verizon.

Reactions: Woodsman
1 - 20 of 23 Posts