Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My wife and I recently moved back to Illinois from Colorado to help take care of a family member. We really miss the vast amount of trails and dispersed camping out there. Anyone have any cool spots they would like to share? Open to anything really. Just want to get out there and explore!

Premium Member
Hopefully you will get a PM or two with some good sites. Trail camping has really picked up and discussing online prime spots is like Fight Club's first rule...

Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I鈥檝e found a few spots while digging through countless forum posts but it鈥檚 definitely slim pickings. Seems like old logging roads in northern Wisconsin and the UP are the best chance.

Registered
Hello everyone! My wife and I recently moved back to Illinois from Colorado to help take care of a family member. We really miss the vast amount of trails and dispersed camping out there. Anyone have any cool spots they would like to share? Open to anything really. Just want to get out there and explore!
It kind of depends how far you want to drive. We live 40 miles outside of Chicago and almost exclusively drive to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan to camp. It's certainly not Colorado but there are tons of dispersed/remote camping locations up there. We prefer that to the crammed full CGs 10 feet from your neighbor with screaming kids and dogs. The National Forest camping is our favorite.( Recreation.gov - Camping, Cabins, RVs, Permits, Passes & More ). There are actually campsites where you can book a reservation as the sole camper with your own lake. Our favorite spot though is 12 mile beach CG on the shore of Lake Superior near Munising.

Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It kind of depends how far you want to drive. We live 40 miles outside of Chicago and almost exclusively drive to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan to camp. It's certainly not Colorado but there are tons of dispersed/remote camping locations up there. We prefer that to the crammed full CGs 10 feet from your neighbor with screaming kids and dogs. The National Forest camping is our favorite.( Recreation.gov - Camping, Cabins, RVs, Permits, Passes & More ). There are actually campsites where you can book a reservation as the sole camper with your own lake. Our favorite spot though is 12 mile beach CG on the shore of Lake Superior near Munising.
Thanks for the feedback! My wife and I live in Rockford IL. The UP is definitely on our list of possible places but it鈥檚 tough not knowing where to start. Any local clubs/groups you鈥檇 recommend?

Registered
For some offroad'esque challenges there's Badlands Offroad Park, with a campground nearby.
I've been told there is a trail called Pipeline here in WI that I'm going to check out in August.

Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some offroad'esque challenges there's Badlands Offroad Park, with a campground nearby.
I've been told there is a trail called Pipeline here in WI that I'm going to check out in August.
I鈥檝e been to the badlands quite a few times! I鈥檓 more into overlanding now though so that pipeline trail intrigues me! Let me know when you go and maybe we could link up?

Registered
The Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail may be worth investigating. There is a website on that. it starts by Galena. Also, I don't know the name of the trails but there are a few good ones southern illinois missouri border area. Crab Orchard State Park is excellent. It's not really offroading but for camping check out the spring green/ river road area in wisconsin. i used to motorcycle up there and go off in a sports car. Beautiful back roads with some hidden campgrounds where you wouldn't expect. Wisconsin has an excellent state park website and app. You need a $38 state sticker you can buy online. There is also Cliffs insane trails by Lasalle I think which is great if you don't mind coming out with a pinstriped car. If you take the guided tour, the guy took us through some crazy trails and off camber stuff. Some real pucker factor stuff.

Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail may be worth investigating. There is a website on that. it starts by Galena. Also, I don't know the name of the trails but there are a few good ones southern illinois missouri border area. Crab Orchard State Park is excellent. It's not really offroading but for camping check out the spring green/ river road area in wisconsin. i used to motorcycle up there and go off in a sports car. Beautiful back roads with some hidden campgrounds where you wouldn't expect. Wisconsin has an excellent state park website and app. You need a $38 state sticker you can buy online. There is also Cliffs insane trails by Lasalle I think which is great if you don't mind coming out with a pinstriped car. If you take the guided tour, the guy took us through some crazy trails and off camber stuff. Some real pucker factor stuff.
Pretty sure we are gonna run the adventure trail next weekend. Hoping to find some dispersed camping along to way. Thank you for the recommendation!

Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an FYI.. I鈥檝e been doing a bunch of research and everything I鈥檝e read says the pipeline trail is basically closed now and not worth the time. If you鈥檝e found something stating otherwise let me know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts