Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a car navi/gps unit to bring to the FJ Summit this summer. I'm specifically looking for something that has maps of the trails (or the ability to download them), and an easy way to see relevant GPS data at certain points (Lat/Lon, Elevation).

Anybody take a navi unit to an FJ Summit in previous years that you were satisfied with?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I know any GPS with a NAVTEQ database will have all the Summit trails on it. This should include all the major brands like Kenwood, Alpine, Garmin, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a rooted Nook Color with a blue tooth gps receiver with a program galled gaia gps it lets you download topo maps and sat maps for large areas and also logs where you've been, It work really well and the 7 inch screen is nice.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
A couple months ago I bought a Garmin 265WT (W=Widescreen, T=Traffic). It was about $108 on Amazon and the non-traffic version was $98. The Traffic version has been useful around Phoenix, it tells you which way to go to avoid heavy traffic. While using that Garmin in Tucson I did the Gunsight Trail and noticed that every turn of the trail and other branches of it were accurately displayed. Pretty much every dirt road I saw was listed on the maps. I'm guessing that a well traveled area like Ouray would also be covered by these trail maps. One of the locals should know for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts