Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in Ouray, during previous Summits, I never really paid much attention to my cell phone connection, but I know it wasn't very good. The town gets overloaded with people, and it basically brings the hotel internet access and cell phone speeds to a crawl. I'm using AT&T, I just wondered if anyone had any better luck with other carriers.

Maybe someone provide some more information about the cell phone towers in the area. I'm guessing the the coverage is provided by AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile.

I did have better luck with my cell while in Telluride, so not all coverage is bad. It's also funny to get to the top of a summit, and hear a bunch of phones going off because they finally get coverage and have a back log of notifications.

Thanks!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
The times that I've been there the only ones that seemed to be able to get out most of the time in town were all on Verizon. Myself and one other person in the group let everyone else use our phones to call home or check in on things the one time because we were the only ones with service in town. That happened a couple of times. I haven't been down there for a few years now so that could have changed now.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Verizon has 4G LTE in Ouray and along most of 550. It gets spotty on the trails, but I have analog signals through most. I wouldn't know about the other carriers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
As noted above Verizon is good in Ouray and I'll add that it's generally good for Nationwide rural coverage. When i head to Ouray, or Rockies in General, I pick-up a prepaid sim for Verizon (not my normal carrier but my phone is compatible with Verizon) Then i swap in Verizon sim (separate phone #) for the added coverage...

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Verizon user here. No issues.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pick-up a prepaid sim for Verizon (not my normal carrier but my phone is compatible with Verizon) Then i swap in Verizon sim (separate phone #) for the added coverage...
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I thought Verizon didn't use sim cards? I thought you just had to get a Verizon phone. I don't mind picking up even a cheap smart phone to use for the month, just to have the extra security of being able to make a call. And I've seen phones under the $50 price point.

-C

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I thought Verizon didn't use sim cards? I thought you just had to get a Verizon phone. I don't mind picking up even a cheap smart phone to use for the month, just to have the extra security of being able to make a call. And I've seen phones under the $50 price point.

-C
Verizon does use SIM cards, but you'll need a CDMA compatible phone. I know T-Mobile uses CDMA. I think the other carriers are GSM.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Garmin InReach, two way text msgs with tracking everywhere you can see the sky.

Tore a bicep in a canyon trail three weeks ago, plenty of friends to help, no mobile service, and I was still able to keep my lady informed While I drove out.

A great piece of kit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I live in Pagosa and travel around SW Colorado a lot and Verizon is the best carrier

1 - 12 of 12 Posts