Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2007 FJ and over time my trunk has become a disorganized collection of camping stuffs - I'm looking to find a good organizer for the back to keep everything in order. Recommendations?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Arb makes a drawer kit. The drawer is large enough for tools and recovery gear and other odds and ends. Install time depends on whether you want to drill holes in the body or make a wood platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
The cheap homemade kind:
20200502_205654.jpg

Orange Boxx has some cool storage options that take advantage of otherwise somewhat unusable space too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I went the homemade route. I used a set of those cheap metal selves, that I cut down, then took a sheet of plywood and cut it to fit. I then covered it with a foam rubber floor mat from Tractor Supply. The wood is held to the shelves with zip ties and the shelves are held to the floor with zip ties. If and when I need to remove it, I just cut the ties, then redo when I put it back. I keep numerous ammo can, with stuff in them(air compressor, ratchet straps, etc) and other stuff underneath, leaving the top to carry whatever I need,

·
Premium Member
2011 FJ Cruiser - Iceberg - 4x4 - Automatic - Offroad Package - Convenience Package
18 Posts
Arb makes a drawer kit. The drawer is large enough for tools and recovery gear and other odds and ends. Install time depends on whether you want to drill holes in the body or make a wood platform.

Did you make a wood platform and cover it in outdoor carpet?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Did you make a wood platform and cover it in outdoor carpet?
Yes. I did a write up on the install.

·
Premium Member
2011 FJ Cruiser - Iceberg - 4x4 - Automatic - Offroad Package - Convenience Package
18 Posts
Yes. I did a write up on the install.

Very nice! Thank you!

·
Registered
484 Posts
The "Rolls Royce" of rear cargo systems is Drifta, from Australia, in my opinion. They've got pre-designed setups from everything from simple rear cargo drawers to whole rear trunk + 2nd row of seats storage & securement systems. They'll also custom-design and fabricate any combination of their stuff that you can describe.

You pay for this with $$$$... if you can even find a dealer that'll import from Australia (Drifta doesn't ship to the US. Kakadu Camping in Canada will import and ship to the states, though).

Don't let the forum's excerpt fool you - that page shows dozens of different rear storage options but the most common one at the top is just what the forum chose for the excerpt.

I got "the basic FJ Cruiser fridge set" with a few customizations: Drifta Storage Drawers & Refrigerator Slide

If you aren't handy building things (or don't have access to the tools required), have the money to spare, and don't mind waiting several months... I've got to say I'm ridiculously satisfied with the Drifta drawers. They're exceptionally clever and fabulously high-quality.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Zerofj when I read your post. I read it like “dog fridge” I was like . Glad it’s dog, fridge.

Anyway cool setup. Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Front Runner makes a really nice drawer for the FJ. And obvioulsy Goose Gears makes some SUPER nice stuff. If I were to upgrade, those would be my two top picks. But for now I'm running a DIY setup with a platform and random bits from Springtail and Refined Offroad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We’re going camping this weekend, and I just picked up two of these Sterilite heavy duty storage boxes from Target. They literally look like someone took an FJ Cruiser’s trunk measurements and created the perfect size box (in black!). Two fit side by side with a hair width from the rear door, and an inch between them. Inexpensive, strong, and look great.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I too wanted the ARB cargo box but decided to build the redneck version of it instead so that I'd have more funds for other FJ Mods. My redneck ARB cargo box cost about a 1/3 of the authentic ARB version. I may upgrade to the ARB later once I get all the other Mods done but I wanted something now to keep stuff from sliding around in the back and this was the best option for me at the time. Like many have said there are tons of plans and different variations on this forum. Good luck finding something that works for you!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
just finished this set-up using 80/20 slotted aluminum. Design it to your own needs and bolt up...Solid as a rock. NOT cheap but mush less than buying one already made and you can customize it as you see fit. Backseat bottom cushions are removed but seat backs are still providing a platform for the cargo area. Bolted to original tie down points and seat brackets.

IMG_0345.jpeg IMG_0318.jpeg

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
11 Posts
I went the homemade route. I used a set of those cheap metal selves, that I cut down, then took a sheet of plywood and cut it to fit. I then covered it with a foam rubber floor mat from Tractor Supply. The wood is held to the shelves with zip ties and the shelves are held to the floor with zip ties. If and when I need to remove it, I just cut the ties, then redo when I put it back. I keep numerous ammo can, with stuff in them(air compressor, ratchet straps, etc) and other stuff underneath, leaving the top to carry whatever I need, View attachment 1132102
I liked your setup so much that I copied it. It's a very simple and functional shelf. I look forward to packing up for camping! Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just finished this set-up using 80/20 slotted aluminum. Design it to your own needs and bolt up...Solid as a rock. NOT cheap but mush less than buying one already made and you can customize it as you see fit. Backseat bottom cushions are removed but seat backs are still providing a platform for the cargo area. Bolted to original tie down points and seat brackets.

View attachment 1132352 View attachment 1132353
Hey Johnnie, do you have any more details on this build? Curious how you built out the mounting platform and sized everything to line up with the rear of the folded seats. Any more pics? What was the appx total cost of your build? Thank you!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Grotto
as far as the mounting platform is built out.... I used 3/4 plywood and doubled it for the first 10 inches from back door. With the rear seats folded down and rear cushions removed, I butted the base up to the back of the cushions and used the cargo tie down holes to bolt the base tie the floor. I removed the vinyl flooring and matting to eliminate the give ( I did use a sound deafening material on the bare floor to provide some barrier.) THE 1.5 rise in the back allowed me to rest the base on the front tie down points after removing the angled transition piece and get it level.

I notched the base to allow access to the inverter...

this last picture shows how it butts up against the rear seats folded down.....

and one of the floor prior to install.

I have measurements somewhere.... I'll have to find them and post.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts