Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outfitting my off-road trailer (see Ace Adventures) and looking for the best fuel containers and mounts. Probably will use A/Ts holders; aluminum, fairly light, good looking but expensive. If used I am limited to pretty much standard 5 gallon Jerry cans and there are a lot out there but many are poor quality. Considering Rotopax 3 gal cans and their mounts. Already have two Expedition One Gerri cans but they are too tall to mount in the space I want to use. I'm open to ideas.

Ace
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1354415763.093584.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Roto-Pax rock. Plus they sell the older style spouts- non EPA.

The mounts add up and when you stack them- even more but the quality is superb.

-OC

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roto-Pax rock. Plus they sell the older style spouts- non EPA.

The mounts add up and when you stack them- even more but the quality is superb.

-OC
Now thinking Rotopax after looking at A/Ts prices. Their mount sells for $178 which I feel is too much. I can buy two 3 gallon Rotopax cans, mount and spouts for less than than the A/T mount with one 5 gallon can.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Plus that's easier to carry/ refuel with too being smaller. The main issue I had with RP is the cost is insane. But figuring that in order for me to go to the next step would require a aux tank, this was by in far the cheaper route. When you tighten the mounts you have to get the center to be tight enough to hold the cans and the top swivel enough room to notch into the sides of the cans raised bumps. It's what holds it in place and it you have the locking set up like I do- keeps them from walking away. They will seem a little loose but as the gas expands they tighten up and are motionless for the most part. Cool thing to is the make a holder that wraps over a spare tire so you could go that route too.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Now thinking Rotopax after looking at A/Ts prices. Their mount sells for $178 which I feel is too much. I can buy two 3 gallon Rotopax cans, mount and spouts for less than than the A/T mount with one 5 gallon can.
The AT site says $128. :)

I have an AT holder mounted on my Exp One bumper swingarm and bought both brackets so I can carry a Scepter or Nato style.

I think a certain Toyota focused offroad company in Oregon is working on a fuel can holder as well. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The AT site says $128. :)

I have an AT holder mounted on my Exp One bumper swingarm and bought both brackets so I can carry a Scepter or Nato style.

I think a certain Toyota focused offroad company in Oregon is working on a fuel can holder as well. :bigthumb:
Yep, my error on the price which I think is still a bit steep. But I too have their mount on my Ex1 swing out carrying a Schepter but I got it used for a lot less.

Ace

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I've joined the ranks of RotoPax owners. I have a three gallon gas and a two gallon water (red & white) can. They're mounted onto my trailer. I haven't had time yet (drove to house at 1:30 this morning with the trailer and have been at work all day today - still there) to play with the cap/nozzle to see if they are as difficult as I've read on here. If so, I guess I'll get the non-EPA caps as well.

Love the new trailer by the way. It's the same one that Dockbox & Hornsfan have. Made by Pandora Adventures in Houston. Mine is black to match the FJ.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have two RotoPax 4gal on the roof rack, think they are a perfect fit for the FJ

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts

my homemade can carrier

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After installing a Max-coupler the tongue length was increased just enough that I will be able to use my Expedition One Gerri cans mounted horizontally above the tongue and still clear the door.

Ace

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
After installing a Max-coupler the tongue length was increased just enough that I will be able to use my Expedition One Gerri cans mounted horizontally above the tongue and still clear the door.

Ace

Have you thought about adding an aux.fuel tank to the FJ? I finally got mine and should have it installed by the end of the month. On long trips I'm still straping on at least one Jerry can if not two on the trailer. I'm also looking at getting the Cam Can Fluid Storage System by Daystar to attach to my trailer to carry fuel for my generator.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you thought about adding an aux.fuel tank to the FJ? I finally got mine and should have it installed by the end of the month. On long trips I'm still straping on at least one Jerry can if not two on the trailer. I'm also looking at getting the Cam Can Fluid Storage System by Daystar to attach to my trailer to carry fuel for my generator.
Yes, have given it lots of thought, just no action yet. A club member here is getting one fabbed and installed soon. If I like it I'll do the same. What I want is just a place to carry 10-12 gallons and be able to pump into main tank with no fittings connected to the main to avoid codes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Yes, have given it lots of thought, just no action yet. A club member here is getting one fabbed and installed soon. If I like it I'll do the same. What I want is just a place to carry 10-12 gallons and be able to pump into main tank with no fittings connected to the main to avoid codes.

That's how I'm doing mine, but the previous owner didn't have a fuel gauge. I just ordered a sending unit and gauge, it will have a switch and when the main tank is low I'll just pump over from the aux tank to fill the main tank. I'm going to have custom a-pillars made and add 2 pods for a fuel gauge and a gauge for the on-board air system that I'm going to add and 4" speakers also! :clap: I should have all this done before the Nevada Trip!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's how I'm doing mine, but the previous owner didn't have a fuel gauge. I just ordered a sending unit and gauge, it will have a switch and when the main tank is low I'll just pump over from the aux tank to fill the main tank. I'm going to have custom a-pillars made and add 2 pods for a fuel gauge and a gauge for the on-board air system that I'm going to add and 4" speakers also! :clap: I should have all this done before the Nevada Trip!
Why a gauge on the aux? It's going to be full until you need it, then empty five minutes later. Not much to gauge I'd say. Of course if you forget to full it a gauge would tell you your memory is bad. ;-)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Why a gauge on the aux? It's going to be full until you need it, then empty five minutes later. Not much to gauge I'd say. Of course if you forget to full it a gauge would tell you your memory is bad. ;-)

:rofl: point well taken! Something just bothers me about have a fuel tank without a fuel gauge....maybe a little OCD that way!

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
:rofl: It's funny because it's true.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
:rofl: It's funny because it's true.
I can tell you that my memory isn't what it use to be any way. :lol: All the help I can get is welcome, gotten to the point of my wife nagging me about things doesn't bother like it use to. :lol:

·
Registered
906 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts