Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my FJ on it first extended highway drive. Although it was only 85 miles it was the first time I actually drove it on the freeway over 45 mph (los angeles traffic). In my opinion the FJ didnt really like to go above 70mph due to wind resistance and the engine was at about 2,600 rpm It felt much better at 60 mph.
However, as I was driving along at about 65mph an FJ passed me and he was probably going about 75 mph.
Keep in mind I generally like to drive slow but I honestly didnt think the FJ was designed to cruise above 70 mph.
If anyone has done any MPG testing with stock tires and gears, do you know how much MPG drops as you go above 70 mph ?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yeah I would say there is a big difference between 35's and 265/75's
Despite the tire size difference, the point he was trying to illustrate is:

If your engine is spinning at 2600RPM while traveling at 70MPH with stockish size tires, then your transmission is in "4" instead of "D".

Did you forget to shift it back to "D" before you got on the highway?

If not, something is wrong with your truck.

You should be turning right at 2000RPM +/- 100 at 70MPH.

In my travels, I find that the best MPG is attained near 60MPH. Of course, this speed isn't always safe if traffic around you is moving much faster. During my daily commute, I usually sit in the travel lane doing about 66-68MPH and average just under 18MPG in the winter, and about 20MPG in the summer with 20% "City" and 80% "Highway" driving.

My average MPG drops significantly if I travel over 75MPH for extended distances. The wind resistance becomes a serious obstacle above 85MPH.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

If your engine is spinning at 2600RPM while traveling at 70MPH with stockish size tires, then your transmission is in "4" instead of "D".

I was WAY over 2,000 rpm at 70 mph. I am going to go back to the freeway tonight and check. This doesnt sound right.

Is it possible to be in "D" but not have the tranny shift into overdrive ?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts

In my travels, I find that the best MPG is attained near 60MPH. Of course, this speed isn't always safe if traffic around you is moving much faster. During my daily commute, I usually sit in the travel lane doing about 66-68MPH and average just under 18MPG in the winter, and about 20MPG in the summer with 20% "City" and 80% "Highway" driving.

My average MPG drops significantly if I travel over 75MPH for extended distances. The wind resistance becomes a serious obstacle above 85MPH.
x2. Just check that your not in 4 on the highway. If you still have high rpms then take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just drove 2000 miles this last week including 600miles each way from Florida to the mountains of North Carolina. I think the FJ is most comfortable sitting right at 70. Once and a while I pushed it to 85, but it feels like the wind/road noise and resistance goes up exponentially over 70.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I was WAY over 2,000 rpm at 70 mph. I am going to go back to the freeway tonight and check. This doesnt sound right.

Is it possible to be in "D" but not have the tranny shift into overdrive ?
Well, in my experience, you would have to be:

-Accelerating, and press the pedal in enough to force a downshift.

-Traveling uphill at a steep enough grade to force a downshift from 5th/overdrive to maintain speed.

-Decelerating at a significant rate OR traveling downhill with a grade that is steep enough to cause the transmission to downshift or unlock the torque converter to aid in deceleration.

So, aside from those conditions (and ones I may have forgotten) the other options are:

-Your overdrive (5th gear more or less) is not functioning properly.

-Your torque converter is not locking.

Let us know how your next test drive works out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay in full disclosure I have to admit to being a total idiot. I have 9,300 miles on my FJ and I just now realized this whole time I have been driving in "4" and not in "D". I didnt know that you could simply move the shifter to the right and it was then in "D".
So in conclusion, feel free to call me whatever names you feel are appropriate :(

PS - I now feel much better about my FJ's highway abilities, lol.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Today I took my FJ on it first extended highway drive. Although it was only 85 miles it was the first time I actually drove it on the freeway over 45 mph (los angeles traffic). In my opinion the FJ didnt really like to go above 70mph due to wind resistance and the engine was at about 2,600 rpm It felt much better at 60 mph.
However, as I was driving along at about 65mph an FJ passed me and he was probably going about 75 mph.
Keep in mind I generally like to drive slow but I honestly didnt think the FJ was designed to cruise above 70 mph.
If anyone has done any MPG testing with stock tires and gears, do you know how much MPG drops as you go above 70 mph ?
Your best MPG's will be at lower speeds. Drive the speed limit on the highway.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Okay in full disclosure I have to admit to being a total idiot. I have 9,300 miles on my FJ and I just now realized this whole time I have been driving in "4" and not in "D". I didnt know that you could simply move the shifter to the right and it was then in "D".
So in conclusion, feel free to call me whatever names you feel are appropriate :(

:lol: When I test drove an FJ I recall looking down and telling the salesperson I was surprised how fast the engine was revving. We bought thought, "This isn't right !" and figured out the gear shift thing. Better that you learn now than at 50K miles. :lol:

As for my FJ, best mileage is at 60 or less and anything over 70 really feels like it's pushing hard and the mileage suffers . . . especially when pushing it hard on mountain highways.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There's no need to call anyone any names. This is how we learn, Some day some one else will post a silly question that you may know the answer to. I'm sure you will answer his question without making fun of them.
I find my truck likes 2,000 rpm and 70 mph. It does have the aerodynamics of a brick.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
There is no clear cut answer to the question. A range is probably the best description 60-70 mph is probably the sweet spot for a compromise between gas and speed. There are many factors Ambient temp, wind direction and speed, elevation, probably humidity, weight, if it has roof rack and stuff on it etc.
Ohh and of course putting it in overdrive (Just teasin there)
Glad you learned somethin about your truck. That means the forum was successful this time
thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I've mentioned this before . . . the FJ is shaped like a brick but its coefficient of drag is actually better than many pickups and other SUVs. Of course, it's as heavy as many pickups and most pickups these days have healthy V8s.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why does Toyota put the 4 and the D right next to one another at the same notch on the shift lever? Occasionally, with the new FJ and with the former Tacoma, I've touched or bumped the lever back into 4 w/o even realizing it. Wouldn't it make more sense to give D a position all its own one notch up from 4?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yes, going to "4" in an auto FJC is the equivalent of "Overdrive Off"... a mode you would most likely only use for towing if at all...

70mph is about the optimum speed in terms of a good trade off between fuel efficiency and making decent time.... beyond 70, mpgs seem to fall off a cliff....

The FJC will actually cruise comfortably at 85mph on flat terrain but your mileage will go in the toilet. Keeping it at 70mph will yield much, much better mileage.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've found my best hwy speed is between 65-70. This seems to maintain the best mpg for highway driving. mpgs go thru the floor exponentially as you increase from 70mph. again many other factors go into this as already mentioned. wind speed and direction, gradient of the hwy, tire size, etc.

best solution. draft 18 wheelers :)

kidding guys...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts