Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
There is only one speed for the FJ.....and that's FAST!!!!! "If your not first, your last!!"

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Okay in full disclosure I have to admit to being a total idiot. I have 9,300 miles on my FJ and I just now realized this whole time I have been driving in "4" and not in "D". I didnt know that you could simply move the shifter to the right and it was then in "D".
So in conclusion, feel free to call me whatever names you feel are appropriate :(

PS - I now feel much better about my FJ's highway abilities, lol.
So I guess you've been really surprised at the pickup on the highway until now eh? All kidding aside I'm glad it was something wrong with you and not the truck, this was a cheap fix :rocker:

There's no need to call anyone any names. This is how we learn, Some day some one else will post a silly question that you may know the answer to. I'm sure you will answer his question without making fun of them.
I find my truck likes 2,000 rpm and 70 mph. It does have the aerodynamics of a brick.
Amen to that. All of it.

I've mentioned this before . . . the FJ is shaped like a brick but its coefficient of drag is actually better than many pickups and other SUVs. Of course, it's as heavy as many pickups and most pickups these days have healthy V8s.
Hey Woodsman, just wondering: does Cd include the low-pressure area behind the vehicle when it is at speed? I just searched and found the Cd of 0.397 - better than the last generation 4Runner by 0.001 :bigthumb:

·
Registered
471 Posts
i just did a trip to west glover vermont from staten island new york, mostly driving 65 on cruise and i got about 330 miles to the tank and that is with nittos 265, rock rails, snorkel, CAI, and air dam with lights if that helps... at 65... the engine doesnt work hard at all especially when your going on a slight incline... it still stays in 5th gear and doesnt need to down shift unlike at 70 or 75 due to the wind resistant.... also stick to the speed limit no matter how fast you want to go... trust me i have paid the consequences for not doing it and now i have learned :)

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
My new FJ book shows the coefficient of drag to be .397, not as bad as I would have thought.

The best milage I ever got was between Grand Junction and Denver when this thing was new, and stock. I was up at 85+ MPH, got just over 24 MPG. The air is thin up there, so drag was a bit less. Normally on interstates I cruise 75-80. It feels just right.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why does Toyota put the 4 and the D right next to one another at the same notch on the shift lever? Occasionally, with the new FJ and with the former Tacoma, I've touched or bumped the lever back into 4 w/o even realizing it. Wouldn't it make more sense to give D a position all its own one notch up from 4?

I agree. I have never had a car where the overdrive wasnt explicitly different. Of course I am still reeling from finding out how dumb I was so thats my excuse !!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Shortly after buying our FJ, Jan and I drove all over town one night and the headlights wouldn't brighten. I could pull back on the lever and nothing would happen, the lights wouldn't go to "bright". I thought, "Well, back to the dealer tomorrow". Well, tomorrow came and I couldn't get them to do it again. Only then did I realize I didn't have my headlights on to begin with. I had the "park" lights on and was driving around after dark with just my park lights and DRL on. Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Hey Woodsman, just wondering: does Cd include the low-pressure area behind the vehicle when it is at speed? I just searched and found the Cd of 0.397 - better than the last generation 4Runner by 0.001 :bigthumb:
With or without a roof rack?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
On my last trip to Vegas, in cruise control and the automatic transmission in overdrive;

I love my GoPro Motorsports Hero camera.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I live in the mts of Pa and although its probably bad, I drive my FJ like a Supra...It loves +80mph and weaving in and out of traffic. Haha. The other day on a really windy night on a straightaway I pushed it to about 110-115 and I hit a gust of wind that scared the crap out of me because it almost sent my FJ into the guardrail. AFter that I didnt hesitate and dropped her back down to the 80mph range. LOL

So I am comfortable driving it around 75-90mph(idk what kind of mpgs I get), and only go higher on a calm day. Haha

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Okay in full disclosure I have to admit to being a total idiot. I have 9,300 miles on my FJ and I just now realized this whole time I have been driving in "4" and not in "D". I didnt know that you could simply move the shifter to the right and it was then in "D".
So in conclusion, feel free to call me whatever names you feel are appropriate :(

PS - I now feel much better about my FJ's highway abilities, lol.
Pre-emptive suggestion:
If you decide to change your oil, make absolutley certain that the fluid you drain is from the engine and not the transmisison.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Pre-emptive suggestion:
If you decide to change your oil, make absolutley certain that the fluid you drain is from the engine and not the transmisison.
I LOL'd. Seriously.

If only the wind was courteous enough to put on our turn signal for us when it decides to switch us to another lane. :)
Inconsiderate bastard, that wind. Noisy. OH, and beats the ever-loving s%#t out of you when the windows are rolled down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Today I took my FJ on it first extended highway drive. Although it was only 85 miles it was the first time I actually drove it on the freeway over 45 mph (los angeles traffic). In my opinion the FJ didnt really like to go above 70mph due to wind resistance and the engine was at about 2,600 rpm It felt much better at 60 mph.
However, as I was driving along at about 65mph an FJ passed me and he was probably going about 75 mph.
Keep in mind I generally like to drive slow but I honestly didnt think the FJ was designed to cruise above 70 mph.
If anyone has done any MPG testing with stock tires and gears, do you know how much MPG drops as you go above 70 mph ?
I frequently take 400 mile trips in my 2010 FJC A4x4 and stock Dunflops.
My route is part mountain/Interstate. At 80 MPH and cruise he runs about 2400 RPM and I get a combined MPG for the trip from between 19-21. Note I have roughly 1500 miles on the clock since new.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The best milage I ever got was between Grand Junction and Denver when this thing was new, and stock. I was up at 85+ MPH, got just over 24 MPG.
That has to be a fluke. I can't imagine getting 24mpg while going 85mph. I struggle to get over 20mpg at 70mph.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I am guessing that it would include this variable as it would affect the overall drag.

·
Registered
308 Posts
OK, so many of you have answered the question, "Best hwy speed for FJ". Since we are talking "speed" my question is what's your best top speed on the highway? I'll start off.....driving on I-8 heading to the corner of AZ I was flying along at 105 and had some drivers pass me up! I will admit it seemed to handle well, 35's, 3" lift, stock gears, but there were no winds...what's your best?? :bandit:

21 - 40 of 61 Posts