Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,837 Posts
I regularly drive my FJ at speeds of 80-85. The speed limit near my house is 75 so that's not really a big push. It's super stable between 90-100 and I've even taken it to its limit of 107. Never a problem. Just be aware of traffic, road conditions & potential speed traps. Overall the FJ is stable at just about any speed provided that you are driving fast in a responsible manner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I drove mine from Alabama to North Carolina. Did average of 70 the whole time and averaged 18mpg but once i got to flat ground I averaged 22 with stock tires gearing and no roof rack. My manual in 6th at 70 runs at about 2200 rpms or just a tad less. Comfortable at 75 MPH.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wish i didnt have to commute 90 miles round trip just to get to work, adding an extra 10 miles a day that puts me at an estimated 280 dollars a month in gas. i think im going to start a mpg tracking thread. See what people are getting on average if they add in distance traveled and average highway speed and we keep it all highway estimates we should be able to narrow down the most economic commuting speed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I took my FJ to Vegas from Los Angeles for the first time this last weekend since I've owned it. And on the way over there I did about 250miles to the tank going between 80-85 and 100 up that one big hill. It topped out at a hundrud going that kind of grade but it was super stable at all speeds. On the way back home however was a totally different story. No longer in a rush to get to my destination i cruised at 59-64 the entire way home. staying in front of slow trucks so i don't have any annoying tail gaters *me on the way to vegas :)* and i was able to get 345miles to the tank. Huge difference. everything is stock on my FJ 5-speed automatic 07" :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
If only the wind was courteous enough to put on our turn signal for us when it decides to switch us to another lane. :)
That was poetic license, right?

Or is it that bad in the wind?

e.g. Running the Atlantic City Expressway, have you ever been actually been blown over a lane marker line?

Since we are talking "speed"... ...flying along at 105...
Two points that nobody has raised yet:

1) What is "speed"? My experience is that speedos are seldom perfectly
accurate. For instance, on my GM heap, 73 is actually a true 70 as
indicated by a stopwatch and mile posts.

2) Tires have speed ratings. An 80 mph tire at 105 seems to me tb
flirting with one or more closed-coffin outcomes.

I have no clue what speeds various tires are rated for, but for sure
different tires are rated for different speeds.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I drove to Montreal (about 1800 km) last fall following the speed limits or just barely over. The fastest was probably around 70 (110km/h) with 265 Yokos, roof rack, sliders not much weight. There wasn't much wind but I got some rain and lots of road construction. I averaged 27.8 with a low of 26.8 and hi slightly over 28. That with our bigger imp. gal. Two years ago I did the same trip and averaged 26.8 but it was windier and I may have driven a little faster. I'm satisfied with that but winter city driving and all short trips it can fall to 13. Over a year I average about 22 again Imp. gal. So it seems to like the 60-65 range pretty much. In windy conditions maybe 50-55 would be better.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I've found my best hwy speed is between 65-70.

best solution. draft 18 wheelers :)
65 mph maximum, 6th gear, 2000 RPM (my vehicle's RPMs stay flat between 55 to 75, more or less - if coaxed properly).

I do draft 18 wheelers, approximately 1.5 trucklengths distance at 55 mph (speed limit on the I - 95). That's when I "hear" my engine being happiest. Those guys really know how to gear their vehicles for optimal travel... When we hit a jam, most other lanes choose stop - and - go, but the trucks seem to be idle / crawl at a constant rate. I just follow them going slow and steady. Keeps my truck happy, too.

At 55 mph, the little "clicks" you get from hard debris on your windshield don't seem to induce any cracks or dings. I checked after getting paranoid reading another thread on how crappy Toyota glass has become.

Above 70 - 75 mph, the vehicle seems to "complain" a little.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
70-75 seems pretty comfortable for me. Runs at 2100-2200 rpm. The highest i took her was 95mph and for some reason it didn`t feel right. Too much noise from the roof rack and FJC feels a bit lose.

I am not sure about drafting 18-wheelers.. I was hit by debris of exploding tires so many times from them... i rather stay away :cheers:

·
Registered
627 Posts
I usually run between 55 and 72 depending on the road. The closer I get to 55 the better my mileage is. I wish Toyota had given the MT and overdrive gear.

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have 35's on my '07 A/T and usually just leave it in fourth. It's doing about 82MPH at 3000 RPM and the engine seems very happy there. Right in the meat of the torque curve. Yeah, I lost about 2 MPG, but I like the throttle response and engine braking.
cruzrman

·
Registered
624 Posts
It has an OD gear, maybe it needs a second one.

DEWFPO
Yeah or just a longer one. 6th in the MT is 0.799:1 and 5th in the auto is 0.716:1. Couple that with the shorter final in the MT, 3.91 vs 3.73, it makes it feel like it could use a longer OD gear. I rarely go over 75 though, use a different vehicle if I need to go faster.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sunflower - Don't feel bad about driving in 4th. For the first two nights I drove my FJC I was very disappointed the headlights were so very dim. Then I realized I was only using the running lights. Owners Manual? I don't need no stinking Owners Manual!!!!

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
113 Posts
Today I took my FJ on it first extended highway drive. Although it was only 85 miles it was the first time I actually drove it on the freeway over 45 mph (los angeles traffic). In my opinion the FJ didnt really like to go above 70mph due to wind resistance and the engine was at about 2,600 rpm It felt much better at 60 mph.
However, as I was driving along at about 65mph an FJ passed me and he was probably going about 75 mph.
Keep in mind I generally like to drive slow but I honestly didnt think the FJ was designed to cruise above 70 mph.
If anyone has done any MPG testing with stock tires and gears, do you know how much MPG drops as you go above 70 mph ?
While testing out my Pedal Commander, I got mine up to 120 mpg. Just FYI

·
Registered
209 Posts
120 MPG!? Not even down hill with a heavy tail wind.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts