Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I can get some feedback for the "best leveling kit"? We do go 'wheelin' at least every other weekend but I put 50-200 highway/city miles on every day. That being said we're thinking the leveling kit is the way to go. As opposed to a full on suspension system, at least for now. The DayStar marketing jargon sure makes their kit sound the best. But as we all know marketing is just that. So, does anyone have any words of wisdom to share with us? Any and all thoughts will be appreciated! SMB4WHLR

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Same here.. Looking for 3" lift, was thinking of leveling as well but may go spacer kit or new suspension. have a 2011 came with Bilestin/Toyota, can't make out which shock (any good)? Anyways, would go with new springs/shocks but not looking to go full adjustable.

Leaning towards Toytec's 3" spacer kit (rear/springs) if I can keep the shocks..

What is the actual difference between spacer kit and leveling?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just leveled mine and you don't want a full 3" in the front unless you like the cali style with the front being higher. I have a TT and put 2" in the front and its level...dead on. Remember that the geometry of the front suspension is not exact math so if you want 2" get a 1" spacer and so on. Hope this helps.

As far as the best, I like the billet spacers myself and everybody is different. Just spend some time searching and get feedback.

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
IMO, a set of OME 883 leveling springs is the best economical way to go --

Before the ICON's I ran them and they were great. Levels it off nicely, with no need for spacers of any kind. And they're still affordable at around $170.

Of course, the ICON's are about a hundred notches above the old TT Bilsteins, but to tell you the truth they worked great and I really liked the setup. And you can grab a set used Bilsteins for probably <$300.

Anyway, a decent upgrade for well <$500. I never have driven the stock shocks, but I image it'd make a fair difference.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We put the Bilstein 5100's on the front to level, and they work really well. If you do not want to go through a whole suspension upgrade...this is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I just did the Bilstein 5100 level with stock springs and I'm really happy with it. The shocks are a big improvement over the base-model Tokico's if you've got those.

If used Bilstein 5100's are going for $300, don't buy them. I got brand new ones for $225 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The Daystar "levelling" kit is a bit of a misnomer since it is actually a full lift kit. It gives you a 2.5in front and 1.5in lift in the back. It is a popular lift around this forum and gets a good reputation.

I went with an actual level lift 2in spacer in the front that got rid of the rake and much of the brake dive. I am like you and put on way too many miles to go to bigger tires. But the truck just looks better without the front fenders looking like they are dragging on the tires.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
We put the Bilstein 5100's on the front to level, and they work really well. If you do not want to go through a whole suspension upgrade...this is the way to go.
brianh said:
I just did the Bilstein 5100 level with stock springs and I'm really happy with it.
x2. Set on the third notch.

Shocks - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
When you say level, I assume you're not touching the rear, just lifting the front about 1-1.5" to take the rake out.

The Bilsteins have 4 positions where you can put the spring perch. They'll give you stock height on the lowest setting, then .75", 1.75" & 2.5" lift. Sort of like a poor man's adjustable coil-over. It seems like their lift numbers are a little low, at least for the 2nd and 3rd notches. If you're stock, the 2nd notch will probably level you out. If you put a heavy bumper on the front, you might want to use the 3rd.

If you want to lift the rear 1.5", you'd be doing what most people would call a 3" lift. Lifting the front about 3" and the rear 1.5" results in a roughly level stance, but I think most people would call it a lift.

Oh, BTW, if you put these on yourself, you can skip the gym that day. It's a workout even with air tools. I'm still a little sore. :)

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
When you say level, I assume you're not touching the rear, just lifting the front about 1-1.5" to take the rake out.

The Bilsteins have 4 positions where you can put the spring perch. They'll give you stock height on the lowest setting, then .75", 1.75" & 2.5" lift. Sort of like a poor man's adjustable coil-over. It seems like their lift numbers are a little low, at least for the 2nd and 3rd notches. If you're stock, the 2nd notch will probably level you out. If you put a heavy bumper on the front, you might want to use the 3rd.

If you want to lift the rear 1.5", you'd be doing what most people would call a 3" lift. Lifting the front about 3" and the rear 1.5" results in a roughly level stance, but I think most people would call it a lift.

Oh, BTW, if you put these on yourself, you can skip the gym that day. It's a workout even with air tools. I'm still a little sore. :)

Okay, that makes sense. So if I go with the 5100 add the spacer kit, I can adjust up to 2.5".. If I go with the 1.5 in the rear, would I need 5100 in the back as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
There are probably a million threads about this very subject on this forum, and you new folks really need to learn the "search" function - it's invaluable. But, if you'll look at my signature (and do a search), you'll find that the Bilstein/1.5" Daystar spacer method is probably the most bang-for-the-buck method for leveling your FJC.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Daystar "levelling" kit is a bit of a misnomer since it is actually a full lift kit. It gives you a 2.5in front and 1.5in lift in the back. It is a popular lift around this forum and gets a good reputation.

I'm very happy with this set-up. I've also got All-Pro sliders and at 5'8' and a fake hip just as high as I want to go. Retains the original ride too.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I used the Toytec leveling kit before I got my King suspension and they work great and dont use polyurethane which provided me with more security. Compresses the springs a bit for a tad stiffer rid but makes for a cost effective level kit that doesnt break the bank. I am selling mine if any is interested!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts