Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the economy the way it is and money is tight for some people...I would like to give people and myself ideas for inexpensive mods. title says it all... Doesn't matter if its a great FREE mod (Those are the best)...Only rules are:

1: RETAIL price of the item (mod) is less then $50
2: TOTAL Price of mod does not exceed $50...(labor, parts,...etc)

I'll start...I think the best mod i did was switching all of my interior overhead lights over to LED. Parts cost my $15.99 per light at Auto Zone and gives off way more light then your factory bulbs!!

here is a generic pic of the lights I used

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Ya I did a similar interior LED swap. 7$ per LED panel.

I installed a single panel over the pass. seats and 2 panels fit in perfectly in the overhead at the rear.
Def a great bang for the buck mod!

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
adding 12v cigarette lighter plugs in the back of the console and in the rear of the vehicle that are not connected to the ignition switch!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I have done the LED lights have to be the best cheapest mod ever $7.00 for 2 sets. I have the 12v plugs everywhere in the truck. I love those things I have 4 of them through out the truck. I also use Quik Fists they are rubber clamps $3.00 ea. I use them for holding Flashlights, Axe & Shovel, Fishing Poles. There are lots of cheap mods under $50. I plan on doing them all.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Free: Hacks including fun button, chime disable, DRL kill, ect.

Under $50: k&n replacement filter, synthetic oil/ diff fluid, LED interior lights, vent visors, outlets, silverstar headlight bulbs, rear rack mounted lights, rear door storage bags, bed liner spray/ materials for black-out, rear pillar speaker add-on, exhaust tip w/ relocation, scuba mod, blind spot mirrors, hi-lift mount mod... Sure there's more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Free: Hacks including fun button, chime disable, DRL kill, ect.

Under $50: k&n replacement filter, synthetic oil/ diff fluid, LED interior lights, vent visors, outlets, silverstar headlight bulbs, rear rack mounted lights, rear door storage bags, bed liner spray/ materials for black-out, rear pillar speaker add-on, exhaust tip w/ relocation, scuba mod, blind spot mirrors, hi-lift mount mod... Sure there's more.
fun button?? do explain! LOL

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I also have the rain vents on my truck. they are nice you can leave the windows cracked and they still look like they are up from the outside.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

I installed a single panel over the pass. seats and 2 panels fit in perfectly in the overhead at the rear.

How difficult was this? did you have to do any splicing or was it all plug and play?

·
Premium Member
804 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice find redboat. The light in sight product looks like it would come in handy around my area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. $30 on Ebay. If you change your own oil this is a must. No more mess and no more crush washers...best mod so far. Also, the A-trac hookup if not factory installed. Around $48.50 for the switch. Plug it in and your done. That's a pretty awesome low dollar, big bang mod too.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts

How difficult was this? did you have to do any splicing or was it all plug and play?
Lol.... Just saw this question 6 mos to late...

The front single light panel was plug and play.
The panels came with 3 different connectors to simulate the original plugin. Very straightforward.

The rear cargo I used two panels side by side and was more plug and pray.
Coming from china the soldering was cheap and substandard and one lead just fell off. Because I used two panels I had to resolder them together and all has been good ever since.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Lol.... Just saw this question 6 mos to late...

The front single light panel was plug and play.
The panels came with 3 different connectors to simulate the original plugin. Very straightforward.

The rear cargo I used two panels side by side and was more plug and pray.
Coming from china the soldering was cheap and substandard and one lead just fell off. Because I used two panels I had to resolder them together and all has been good ever since.
Dont worry still havent done it :rofl: Keep getting distracted by other mods thank you for replying though

·
Registered
434 Posts
Swap both dome lights and map lights, $25.00 shipped at the time from dealextreme.com. Its light daylight inside. More noticeable when its really dark out side. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Done the LED and loved it. Next one that I appreciate daily is the extension cord that I ran from the inverter in the back. I put a 6ft flush fitting plug into the inverter and ran that to the passenger side back seat right by the seatbelt (not the receiver of the seatbelt). Another extension then run from there and come up to the front passenger seat. I just looped (clover hitch) it around the seatbelt receiver and leave about 4 inches hanging before the plug. When not in use, it hangs down the seat and it's out of the way. Now I have 2 plugs in the back for when my kids need to plug into something. I have 3 plugs for the front which is useful for phones and whatever I need. My phone charges faster through the inverter then through the 12v cig lighter. That's a $12 mod.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts