Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I'd look for a Fab Fours, Expo One or ARB for being bulky and strong... http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...2-front-bumpers-comparisons-buyers-guide.html
Absolutely.

I know that, with regards to the 885 'Medium' Coils, ARB states they are rated for 110lbs of additional weight on the front end so be sure to figure that into your equation especially if you're putting a winch on as well.

And having no moose experience at all myself I would say that a great set of lights and some nifty avoidance maneuvers might be just as important when confronting a possibly 7ft tall (at the shoulder), 1400lb animal. YIKES! :cheers:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Stock bumper would work just fine. If you are doing it in the summer, it's light all day long. :bigthumb:

Oh yeah, you hit a moose, most likely it will be on your hood and possibly you lap :bigthumb:

·
Registered
594 Posts
The only bumper that will work is one attached to a tractor trailer. I live in an area where moose are hit every other day. They go up and through the windshield. I have a pic of our company cube van after hitting one. I will post it if I can find it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point about the long daylight in summer. I have seen horrible pics of vehicles that had collided with a moose, but they are all at night.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Still need the weight behind it.:lol:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Not often you see daylight hits. Dusk and dawn are the worst. Last hit we seen was a Camaro at about 4am. You couldn't tell where the moose started and the passengers ended. Nasty stuff.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm no expert on moose but I don't think the bumper will matter.

They are really big animals. Best thing would be just not hit one.

Safe Journeys

Mike

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amen to that. Road trips bring to mind wildlife collisions and I have to believe that a solid bumper would do some good, better than stock plastic covering, to protect.

Actually I would like to hear what layonn thinks about the physics of an aftermarket bumper vs. stock bumper hitting a larger animal like a moose.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I'm no expert on moose but I don't think the bumper will matter.

They are really big animals. Best thing would be just not hit one.

Safe Journeys

Mike

Best advice so far! :cheers: Moose can weight up to half the weight of the FJ... that being said, avoid collision at all cost.:lol:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Stock bumper would work just fine. If you are doing it in the summer, it's light all day long. :bigthumb:

Oh yeah, you hit a moose, most likely it will be on your hood and possibly you lap :bigthumb:
x2 if you hit a Moose, your bumper is the least of your worries. Check out the Alaska Special Mythbusters episode. I think they may have made more than one Alaska episode... but they covered hitting a moose albeit with smaller cars. Go to discovery.com/mythbusters

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lived in Alaska All of my life....

Any aftermarket bumper will be fine... Hell, even your stock bumper will be fine.

The problem with moose, is they are EXTREMELY hard to see. Lights are priority #1. If you can see them, you can avoid them. And avoiding them would be key.

But, if you do end up hitting them, a bumper may save your front end, but will not save your windshield.

Moose have really long legs, and unless your FJ is lifted big time, the only thing your bumper will do is take out the moose's legs and the body of the moose will go through your windshield and land in your lap. (trust me on that).

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
A friend of mine lived up there for awhile and is running a Warn... I and planning on either a one of a kind tube bumper I make my self at a local chassis fab shop, or get a Rocktec I think its called.. Seen several on FJs in here and really like the look....
I would have to agree, Bumper wont matter when you take 5000+ lbs at 60mph and hit a stationary 2000lbs!
You could always do it MAD MAX style and weld a snow plow to the front!:lol:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Here's a moose that jumped right out in front of the rented Rav-4 I was driving near Portal Glacier...

It jumped in the river after our near miss and I took that shot.

It's true that a bumper is going to make little difference.

If you are going to have a collision that large, the tupperware stock bumper is probably your very best bet... It would absorb the impact rather than transferring it to your frame.

Fantastic place Alaska is... I was just up for the first time in November and freaking loved it. Make sure you visit the Turnagain Arm and especially Girdwood... Girdwood/Alyeska totally freaking rocks. I mean WHAT a place...

The 2 most surprising things about AK: 1) Friendliest people on earth hands down 2) Best food in the world hands down

And the grandeur is almost absurdly surreal... Pandora on earth...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts