Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It is time to replace the cheap Westin fog lights I have. Firstly, the fogs will be mounted in the lower grill opening, so they should be about 4 inches in diameter. They will have to be okay to use on road, but also cut through fog and snow well. I have rigid LEDs for distance and offroad driving, so this will be dedicated onroad fog light.

If you have any ideas or pictures, that would be great!

P.S. I don't want LEDs, and different coloured covers would be ideal.
Thanks
Matt

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Since you already had LEDs and needed something small to fit in that grill I was going to mention that Rigid is coming out with some DOT/SAE compliant lights in the D Series fog and a 6" E Series driving. Having the DOT/SAE rating makes them street legal here in the states so they might be legal for you too, I don't know. You could also use the different colored lens covers for them. I don't know of any other smaller sized lights with different colored lenses. The Lightforce 140 is their smallest and it's about 5.5"/140mm.

Coming Soon | Rigid Industries LED Lighting

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you already had LEDs and needed something small to fit in that grill I was going to mention that Rigid is coming out with some DOT/SAE compliant lights in the D Series fog and a 6" E Series driving. Having the DOT/SAE rating makes them street legal here in the states so they might be legal for you too, I don't know. You could also use the different colored lens covers for them. I don't know of any other smaller sized lights with different colored lenses. The Lightforce 140 is their smallest and it's about 5.5"/140mm.

That is neat... I wonder how soon...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Since you already had LEDs and needed something small to fit in that grill I was going to mention that Rigid is coming out with some DOT/SAE compliant lights in the D Series fog and a 6" E Series driving. Having the DOT/SAE rating makes them street legal here in the states so they might be legal for you too, I don't know.

This is great news! I have been wanting to replace my PIAA fogs. I have been looking at Hella and Cibie. Think I'll wait for the Rigid fogs.

Thanks for the heads up BigGuy!!!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
or not

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
That is neat... I wonder how soon...

This is great news! I have been wanting to replace my PIAA fogs. I have been looking at Hella and Cibie. Think I'll wait for the Rigid fogs.

Thanks for the heads up BigGuy!!!
Glad I could help. I just stumbled upon them on the Tundra forum as they just came out with a kit to swap in a D Series light for the stock fog/driving light. The output of the stock light isn't very much and the pattern is so small it doesn't help much to me. A guy posted up about the new DOT version coming soon so I've been watching it as that would work pretty good since there aren't any other replacement lights that I've seen for the Tundra and most say that the bulbs they've tried don't work that well either.

Looking at Rigid's site they have a bunch of new lights out and a couple really caught my eye. They have some new 20-50" lightbars that have both yellow and white lights in the same bar so you can run the white when nice and yellow for snow, fog, or dust. Another light is the Hi/Lo which is a light that has both 100% power and then a setting for 20% power in the same light. I'm actually looking at these over the DOT lights as I can use the Lo setting for normal driving and the Hi for no traffic times as they are making a D Series in these. I haven't really been into the LED lights for what I need as they are a bit pricey for me, but with these new versions they've caught my eye with some that will work for a special case.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad I could help. I just stumbled upon them on the Tundra forum as they just came out with a kit to swap in a D Series light for the stock fog/driving light. The output of the stock light isn't very much and the pattern is so small it doesn't help much to me. A guy posted up about the new DOT version coming soon so I've been watching it as that would work pretty good since there aren't any other replacement lights that I've seen for the Tundra and most say that the bulbs they've tried don't work that well either.

Looking at Rigid's site they have a bunch of new lights out and a couple really caught my eye. They have some new 20-50" lightbars that have both yellow and white lights in the same bar so you can run the white when nice and yellow for snow, fog, or dust. Another light is the Hi/Lo which is a light that has both 100% power and then a setting for 20% power in the same light. I'm actually looking at these over the DOT lights as I can use the Lo setting for normal driving and the Hi for no traffic times as they are making a D Series in these. I haven't really been into the LED lights for what I need as they are a bit pricey for me, but with these new versions they've caught my eye with some that will work for a special case.

They are coming out with some real cool ones! I would like the dot one because then cops could have no gripes about them, but the hi low is nice. I already have some bright ones, so I think I would just go for the fogs. The only problem with the LEDs is they do not get hot enough to melt the snow that can cake on them.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
They are coming out with some real cool ones! I would like the dot one because then cops could have no gripes about them, but the hi low is nice. I already have some bright ones, so I think I would just go for the fogs. The only problem with the LEDs is they do not get hot enough to melt the snow that can cake on them.

Never thought about the ice problem. I used to get that with the stock headlights on my '90 Toyota pickup and 4Runner. I had the Aeroflow covers on the FJ so it wasn't bad and the Lightforce covers didn't hold the ice very well.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never thought about the ice problem. I used to get that with the stock headlights on my '90 Toyota pickup and 4Runner. I had the Aeroflow covers on the FJ so it wasn't bad and the Lightforce covers didn't hold the ice very well.

It is much better with the coloured filters on. It won't hold the ice with them on.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
It is much better with the coloured filters on. It won't hold the ice with them on.

They could all still hold ice if the conditions were right though.

Fresh snow and really cold out.

A lot better with fresh snow but warmer out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts