Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good system...I know the old way is to buy a horn and a CB Radio, but most CB Radios only put out about 5w max...is that enough to drive a horn to be loud enough for people to hear? I had the COGA PA System and it was a complete waste of cash, pitiful system, barely audible and the microphone was a joke. Any ideas? Links? Etc?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Doesn't Dominic have a PA system?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do, So does mattmainster and FJ Funjunkie. The only i know of..

Matt and I have the Radioshack 25w PA's hooked up to cobra 19 ultra III's. I think matt has an amp for extra power though.. maybe??

Funjunkie has a loud and funny one.. all kinds of strange sounds, lmao.

I have a pic of how mine is mounted in here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/56375-dominicg-s-voodoo-death-redux.html
How loud and clear is yours? can you possibly get a vid by placing a camera outside your car and talking via the cb?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
How loud and clear is yours? can you possibly get a vid by placing a camera outside your car and talking via the cb?

Its loud but not loud enough. It gets muffled the way i have it mounted, so i need to move it somewhere else.

I can get a video up tomorrow.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its loud but not loud enough. It gets muffled the way i have it mounted, so i need to move it somewhere else.

I can get a video up tomorrow.
Damn...back in HS a lot of kids had JEEPS and had CB Radios with speakers mounted under the hood...all of theirs were extremly loud...

·
Registered
313 Posts
just curious, other than making evryon e listen to "every word I have to say", what would the purpose of a PA on my rig be?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Where do you have the horn mounted currently? I'll prob be picking up the CB tomorrow...just wish there was install pics somewhere lol
This is the right front inner part of the bumper. I have it ziptied to my lightbar mount.

just curious, other than making evryon e listen to "every word I have to say", what would the purpose of a PA on my rig be?

To be obnoxiously loud and for yelling at people.. honestly. :rocker: I'm only 20, so i can still kinda do that.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the right front inner part of the bumper. I have it ziptied to my lightbar mount.

To be obnoxiously loud and for yelling at people.. honestly. :rocker: I'm only 20, so i can still kinda do that.
Hm...that seems like that would be a fine place...where exatly do you plan on mounting it for it to be louder?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Hm...that seems like that would be a fine place...where exatly do you plan on mounting it for it to be louder?

I'm either going to move it so points towards the wheel well, or cut out the section of bumper that you see directly in front of the speaker.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've been wanting a PA system myself. I found that Harbor Freight now has a handheld bullhorn/megaphone for $4.99. It's 10W and takes 4 C batteries. I bought it today and will test it tomorrow and give a report.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Guys! The only way to do it right is to get a 200 watt PA system. You have to look at manufactures like Whelen, Federal Signal, Galls, Lund, SVP and the names go on. The speakers you want are 100 watt 129dB siren speakers made by dynamax. This is the exact same stuff you will find on cop cars, fire trucks and other first responder cars. I had a system on my old Dodge truck and it was loud as sick. You can find all this new and used on eBay. Having a megaphone is great for yelling at your kids with. Sorry Tony.:jester:

Most systems are configured at 100 watts and then you buy an aux amp and a second speaker. No I am not talking about buying a Car stereo amp and speaker. THIS WILL NOT WORK. Plan on spending upwards of around $500.00 to DO IT RIGHT! If your lucky, you can find one that has a police siren built in. You'll sure go to jail if you use it in that manor. Most allow for radio reboradcast. That means you can hook your CB, VHF, or UHF radios to them. your FM/AM radios can be hooked to them also, but I cant think of even one good reason for hooking your car stereo to it. Having a PA in the car can be fun. Just remember there is always somebody meaner, larger, and more ugly out there that might get offended by you yelling at them. So be responsible. :cheers:

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys! The only way to do it right is to get a 200 watt PA system. You have to look at manufactures like Whelen, Federal Signal, Galls, Lund, SVP and the names go on. The speakers you want are 100 watt 129dB siren speakers made by dynamax. This is the exact same stuff you will find on cop cars, fire trucks and other first responder cars. I had a system on my old Dodge truck and it was loud as sick. You can find all this new and used on eBay. Having a megaphone is great for yelling at your kids with. Sorry Tony.:jester:

Most systems are configured at 100 watts and then you buy an aux amp and a second speaker. No I am not talking about buying a Car stereo amp and speaker. THIS WILL NOT WORK. Plan on spending upwards of around $500.00 to DO IT RIGHT! If your lucky, you can find one that has a police siren built in. You'll sure go to jail if you use it in that manor. Most allow for radio reboradcast. That means you can hook your CB, VHF, or UHF radios to them. your FM/AM radios can be hooked to them also, but I cant think of even one good reason for hooking your car stereo to it. Having a PA in the car can be fun. Just remember there is always somebody meaner, larger, and more ugly out there that might get offended by you yelling at them. So be responsible. :cheers:
Quite a few of the brands you mentioned are not intended for a car environment...I'll check into what you're saying though. I'll prob end up doing what Domonic did though.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

I guess it depends on what you want it to do. I'm not trying to pull people over. I just want to get people's attention sometimes. I can see uses for it in gatherings, calling someone a little bit off the trail (maybe they are not with CB or they are away from vehicle). It it doesn't work out, I'm only out $5, not $500.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess it depends on what you want it to do. I'm not trying to pull people over. I just want to get people's attention sometimes. I can see uses for it in gatherings, calling someone a little bit off the trail (maybe they are not with CB or they are away from vehicle). It it doesn't work out, I'm only out $5, not $500.
Yeah..the most I'd ever do is add a 50w inline amplifier to boost the sound...that's like 50$, not too shabby. And Domonic, where did you ground your CB? And did you power it right from the bat, or tap into a fuse with add-a-circuit?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Somebody mentioned that Galls, SVP, Whelen and others were not intended for the vehicle environment. Wrong. That exactly what they were made for.

If you want a PA/Airhorn combo, here's two low cost solutions:

Sho-Me 100 Watt PA, Radio Rebroadcast & Electronic Airhorn #30.2108 from SWPS.com

Whelen PAP112 Power Airhorn plus Amplifier with Public Address--Vehicle Lighting Solutions, Inc.

Obviously you'll need a Siren/PA speaker. This is what's in my rig: Able2 Sho-Me Slim 100 Watt Siren Speaker 30.0200 from SWPS.com

Search and find a low profile siren speaker on ebay or from a vendor. Wire it up, and voila!

If you want a vehicle PA, the professional gear is the only way to go.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts