Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of places are selling gear/supplies/MREs/first aid and so on. I've found some places with great prices on certain items and piss-poor pricing on others. I've seen small surgical kits that should sell for $20 for $75 at a local gun show and one on-line retailer selling a case of MREs (12) for $100!

So, I thought it might be a good idea for us to start a list of vendors who prices, customer service and reliability are what we would expect - same as FJ parts vendors. Maybe a few will become Supporting Members. I think we need an MRE group buy!

One thing I've been looking for is a reliable place to buy first aid and trauma kits. Good stuff in quantity; not a $200 kit that has one 6x6 and 2 4x4s and no Quick Clot.

So, I'll start with a few, let's keep this going and make it a reliable resource for all:

1. Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com). Good prices on freeze dried foods. Great selection, terrific service and shipping. MRE pricing is about average but the ability to mix and match and buy entrees only is better than most.

2. Us Optics (usoptics.com). If you need to buy retail for assorted gun and other optics, their prices are good and they'll match prices.

3. Midway USA (midwayusa.com). If you need ammo, handloading gear, miscellaneous "stuff" Midway's service and shipping is uncanny. Their prices are average or often better than average but if immediate gratification in the form of shipping is what you seeks, this is the place.

4. Ammo Man (ammoman.com). No bad ammo pricing, often you can find some very good deals (get on his list). He carries brand and off-brand ammo. New stuff, good pricing. While his prices are often average, they include shipping which can make the difference. He now offers and "frequent buyer" program that allows you to accrue points for future discounts. It adds up if you buy a lot. I read different opinions about him going back several years. But I will attest that I have purchased well more 10K rounds (probably closer to 20K but they were all for friends if you are reading this honey. Ignore the stacks of small rectangular boxes in the basement) from him over the years and never once had any sort of problem.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Emergency Essentials as mentioned above. I've been buying stuff from them for quite a few years now. Another nice thing that they have is packaged water. They have the foil pouches, "juice" boxes, and now metal cans. I've been getting the pouches for using in my bags in vehicles and you can also stick them in small areas like glove boxes. They stay in good shape all year long with no problems from freezing. Check out the canned bacon too.

Nitro-pak Nitro-Pak: World Leader in Freeze Dried Food | Mountain House Food | Emergency Preparedness

Mountain House, MREs, freeze dried, & dehydrated foods. Other supplies. They sometimes have decent sale prices and they are good to work with.

Campmor Campmor: food

Mostly pouches of all the major brands of dehydrated foods such as Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, and Alpineaire. Discounts on larger numbers of packets purchase. Lots of other camping gear and small stuff not found elsewhere. Good service and fast shipping.

Walton Feed Walton Feed

Bulk buckets of wheat, beans, rice, etc. Cans of dehydrated and freeze dried also.

The-Armory THE ARMORY guns, firearms, ammunition, ammo, accessories, equipment, reloading, muzzloading

Ammunition, Magazines, Misc. Great service and good prices.

Ammunitiontogo Ammunition To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs!

Ammunition, some magazines and other stuff too. Good service and fast shipping.

Bud's Gun Shop Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Guns, ammunition, parts, magazines, etc. Good prices and service. Prices change to reflect the market so need to watch and catch a price if you like it. Shipping was okay and some comments say that it can take awhile before they process and ship.

LDS canneries can be good places to get foods in bulk. Some let you just buy and some are set up where you join them on a day and help out with the canning before you buy. (#10 metal cans and some others.) Bulk bags of stuff also. I know a few people who done both the buying and the helping to buy and they said it's a good place. Home Storage Center Order Form This is a video that explains them.

Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/ I purchase a lot of my coats, boots, shoes, etc. from them as they have the big/tall sizes in great clothing I can't find elsewhere like cold weather clothes, coats, jackets, and larger sized shoes/boots in both insulated and uninsulated styles. Camping, hunting, fishing, shooting gear, ect. Good quality and selection. Some prices might seem high, but the quality of the product can more than make up for it and if something goes wrong, they are great at standing behind their products.

Lehman's http://www.lehmans.com/ All kinds of oil lamps, kitchen stuff, some food, home garden/farm stuff, and Lodge Cast Iron Cookware. They supply stuff to the Amish that doesn't run on electricity. Looking at their catalog is like a trip to the past. Great service too.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
ive had good luck with the readystore for mountian house and free shipping in the past. cheaper than dirt has a good supply of different lake city ammo different kinds

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Marked for reference

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
599 Posts
ive had good luck with the readystore for mountian house and free shipping in the past. cheaper than dirt has a good supply of different lake city ammo different kinds
Ditto - although I found my Katadyn water filter on Amazon for $90 less than the ready store. So sometimes it pays to shop at the store with the selection and buy elsewhere -- though I only do this for big ticket items. The ready store has good reviews on the products though...and that can matter more than the product description.

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Amazon for 90% of things including MRE's, Emergency ponchos, machetes, and whatever else you need. Usually offers free shipping and no tax unless the vendor is in your state and has kick ass customer service.

Natchezss Shooter Supplies - Ammo

Buds Gun Shop - Firearms

Do you need anything else?

·
A-Team Moderator
7,964 Posts
The First Responder is YOU!

How do we feel about the Vet antibiotics for human consumption w/out a script in a SHTF scenario? I'd like to hear it, Pro's/Con's, etc...

FYI stuff:
I "carry" and I carry these two items with me all of the time, including when I fly/travel; They'll give you the time that you may need while waiting for the Ambulance/Help to arrive or to get out of a burning plane, hotel, airport, bldg. or wherever life finds you.

The TacPack is the size of 2 cig packs laid side to side and weighs about 4 oz's. Mask is approx. 6"x6"x1/2". Created for the Secret Service by their leading Trauma Surgeon.

TaC-PACK® ADVANCED T

Technon | Breath of Life™ Emergency Escape Mask Video's on Specs & Instructions pages.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Re: The First Responder is YOU!

How do we feel about the Vet antibiotics for human consumption w/out a script in a SHTF scenario? I'd like to hear it, Pro's/Con's, etc...

FYI stuff:
I "carry" and I carry these two items with me all of the time, including when I fly/travel; They'll give you the time that you may need while waiting for the Ambulance/Help to arrive or to get out of a burning plane, hotel, airport, bldg. or wherever life finds you.

The TacPack is the size of 2 cig packs laid side to side and weighs about 4 oz's. Mask is approx. 6"x6"x1/2". Created for the Secret Service by their leading Trauma Surgeon.

TaC-PACK® ADVANCED T

Technon | Breath of Life™ Emergency Escape Mask Video's on Specs & Instructions pages.
I have a very similar pac in my truck but in addition to the SWAT T, I have a large wide band of inner tube like material that can be used as either a compression bandage or a tourniquet. It also has a thick cause pad and occlusive dressings. The entire thing is about the size and snap of your hand laid out flat.

T handle and extra stuff is in my go bag.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
As a Supporting Vendor of this Forum let us know what you think of our 72 hour kit. If there is a interest we can put on a small group buy. 72 Hour Food Supply Kit

This kit contains the following:

Food and Water: •12 servings of cook in pouch meals: •Cheesy Lasagna – 2 10oz servings
•Chili Macaroni – 2 10oz servings
•Pasta Alfredo - 2 10oz servings
•Creamy Pasta and Veg – 2 10oz servings
•Teriyaki and Rice – 2 10oz servings
•Savory Stroganoff – 2 10oz servings

•24 oz. Water Filtration
Light and Communications: •Dynamo 4-in-1 Radio Flashlight
•Waterproof Matches
Shelter and Warmth: •2 Mylar Emergency Sleeping Bags
Tools: •Portable Cooking Stove (includes 12 Fuel Tablets)
•Steel Fork, Knife, & Spoon Chow Kit
•16 oz Steel Cup
•Pair of Leather Palm Work Gloves
•2 Infectious Waste Bags
Hygiene and Sanitation: •3 Packs of Pocket Tissues
First Aid: •65 Piece Pocket First Aid Kit
Other: •Deck of Standard Playing Cards
•Note Pad
•Golf Pencil
Emergency Survival Kit Information:
This Long Term Food Storage Essentials Survival Kit was designed using advice from experts in the emergency preparedness industry. It follows guidelines given by government agencies and non-profit preparedness organizations. This survival kit has a retail value of $220.​

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
My son in law is in the marines in infrantry and gave me a bunch of mre high cal stuff

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
As a Supporting Vendor of this Forum let us know what you think of our 72 hour kit. If there is a interest we can put on a small group buy. 72 Hour Food Supply Kit

This kit contains the following:

Food and Water: •12 servings of cook in pouch meals: •Cheesy Lasagna – 2 10oz servings
•Chili Macaroni – 2 10oz servings
•Pasta Alfredo - 2 10oz servings
•Creamy Pasta and Veg – 2 10oz servings
•Teriyaki and Rice – 2 10oz servings
•Savory Stroganoff – 2 10oz servings

•24 oz. Water Filtration
Light and Communications: •Dynamo 4-in-1 Radio Flashlight
•Waterproof Matches
Shelter and Warmth: •2 Mylar Emergency Sleeping Bags
Tools: •Portable Cooking Stove (includes 12 Fuel Tablets)
•Steel Fork, Knife, & Spoon Chow Kit
•16 oz Steel Cup
•Pair of Leather Palm Work Gloves
•2 Infectious Waste Bags
Hygiene and Sanitation: •3 Packs of Pocket Tissues
First Aid: •65 Piece Pocket First Aid Kit
Other: •Deck of Standard Playing Cards
•Note Pad
•Golf Pencil
Emergency Survival Kit Information:
This Long Term Food Storage Essentials Survival Kit was designed using advice from experts in the emergency preparedness industry. It follows guidelines given by government agencies and non-profit preparedness organizations. This survival kit has a retail value of $220.​

Looks pretty good. I've got a lot of similar stuff in mine, but I made mine up to not only cover emergencies, but I can also use it as a last minute camping kit. I made it from scratch with stuff I've had from years of camping, being in Scouts, having twin nephews in Scouts (Eagles now!), and a few things I picked up. One thing I did is add a mix of foods. When in a situation, stress will probably be high. Trying to mess around with cooking could be a pain. I've got MREs that can be eaten out of the pack or heated, survival bars that are ready to eat, and freeze dried for when things calm down a bit. I covered food, water, shelter, fire, first aid, etc. I also have a bag depending on the season that has winter gear or summer gear such as coats/jackets, thermals/raincoat, etc.

·
A-Team Moderator
7,964 Posts
Life Gear Wings of Life Survival BP at Walmart $50 online. Added some MTN House pouches, eating utensils, Esbit stove, extra water, a knife, extra mags for the Glock and AR, Power Bars, cyalume sticks, paracord, etc... Add what you like, you're good to go for 3+ days.

Toss the gear from the wings, poncho, pen/pad, whistle... in the bag and junk the wings. The zipper up the center is a PITA. Thins the bag out too, less bulk. Otherwise it's a good backpack and it comes w/ an elastic rain cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off, 2WhiteHummers that looks like a solid kit to me, with some customization for whoever buys it to take care of specific needs. A couple of things I would like to add (I am adding an FJ to my car roster soon as a bug out vehicle/camping/outdoors fun vehicle) -

The BioLite stove: BioLite - BioLite Stove
cooks, powers USB gadgets, portable and runs off of random twigs - no need for carrying extra fuel.

A good solar power backup is also a fine plan. There are a variety of them on Amazon from about $30 and on up (the cheapest ones perform... well... cheaply).

there are a couple of books by a guy named Joe Nobody (these are similar to US Army field survival manuals but they have been distilled for the layperson - green berets, scout/snipers and special forces need not apply) link to author web page: Amazon.com: Joe Nobody: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Alternate bug out vehicles to consider:
full suspension mountain bike rigged for long distance travel. This can be a bit fiddle to set up right but when fuel runs out and the tires are all blown, a good mountain bike will still allow you to cover significant distance per day while carrying a surprising amount of equipment. this rig can easily be mounted on your FJ or other bug out vehicle.

Ultralight aircraft:
If you really have the dough, don't think that you will be able to drive out, an ultralight can carry a single person, perhaps 75 pounds of equipment (depending on how much you weigh) and can be launched on an average suburban street. Warning, expensive and range can be limited.

Other preparedness shopping sites I use:
Emergency Preparedness
The Ready Store

·
Registered
5 Posts
The BioLite stove: BioLite - BioLite Stove
cooks, powers USB gadgets, portable and runs off of random twigs - no need for carrying extra fuel.

After clicking your link and wiping the drool off of my face, i bought this.

I cant find reviews, since it is THAT new and i don't think its even out yet(says people will be getting theirs in June, mine in July) BUT if this thing is legit ($129 is worth a shot to me, id rather get it for that price than what it could end up costing if it is as good as im hoping) it will be amazing.

I will not have this to use on a regular camping basis, it will be 100% emergency in my bug out bag along with my dragonfly and natty gas.

Because when i run out of fossil fuels, and need a quick boil or meal etc this thing will be amazing..

Does anyone have one? *freaks out* DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE?? I really want to know more about this!:clap:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts