Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well only my 3rd time taking my NSSE offroad and wouldn't you know, as I was backing up I hit a tree. Made a nice dent. Instead of replacing it was more plastic I want to get a rear bumper. I really want to utalize my exsisting factory hitch. I paid for the damn thing and I don't want to replace it with another. What would you guys reccomend? I would love to keep it under 700.00 if that is possible?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
insurance will work for that, ya know..

here's a few to research:

Warn
FabFour (which is what I have, but wouldn't recommend the front)
ARB
Metaltech
Aluminess

do an advance search and you'll find pics. Hope that helps :)

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
I like my DeMello rear bumper. You can modify the factory hitch to fit over the DO. Or, you can get a DO hitch for 100. Jason recently advertises the rear bumper for 800. The Acro backup lights shown on mine are optional.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
insurance will work for that, ya know..

here's a few to research:

Warn
FabFour (which is what I have, but wouldn't recommend the front)
ARB
Metaltech
Aluminess

do an advance search and you'll find pics. Hope that helps :)
Insurance does not need to know about that. I can get a new one for 150. Instead of waisting that money I figured I would put it towards something functional.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I feel Demello and All Pro have the best for the money but Jason Demello is the only hero that has a product that you can use your factory hitch to my knowledge. AP is under your price range with their hitch.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel Demello and All Pro have the best for the money but Jason Demello is the only hero that has a product that you can use your factory hitch to my knowledge. AP is under your price range with their hitch.
But after I add powder coating I am at the same price as Demello. I just did a little checking around and Warn actually makes a rear bumper that utalizes the factory hitch. Anybody have a opinions on the warn bumpers both front and rear?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
For what it's worth, I have Expedition One front and rear, both top notch. Have no opinions or comparisons to the others listed, but it does allow use of true OEM hitch, not Reese or Drawtite.

Based on my experience, suggest swing out rear tire carrier, if you can swing it dollar wise.

I regret that I ordered without.

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
I have the ARB, its pretty fantastic and hell for stout. I've dropped off some big rocks and smashed it hard, with only really a little dent and scratches. Factory receiver will not work with it.

My brother has the AllPro, and YES the factory receiver works with it.

Hope that was helpful.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the Warn rear bumper. It fits with the factory hitch. If you follow the installation instructions it's easy and fits well. The only fiddly bit is cutting the plastic OEM "bumper cover" (which covers NO bumper - the FJ doesn't have a rear bumper)! Pics are here -
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/128516-warn-rear-bumper-install.html
It was not too expensive (except in Canada ;) ). Less than the ARB, anyway. Well made and well powder coated. Accepts the factory backup sensors as well.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Warn rear bumper. It fits with the factory hitch. If you follow the installation instructions it's easy and fits well. The only fiddly bit is cutting the plastic OEM "bumper cover" (which covers NO bumper - the FJ doesn't have a rear bumper)! Pics are here -
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/128516-warn-rear-bumper-install.html
It was not too expensive (except in Canada ;) ). Less than the ARB, anyway. Well made and well powder coated. Accepts the factory backup sensors as well.
I think it looks pretty good. It is clean and simple. Why cant other companies go clean and simple like that?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
My demello is great and the powder coat is holding up well. I have rubbed it on all kinda rocks and trees. I can also mount a 315-75-16 bfg AT on the stock tire carrier now.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I just took delivery of an ARB rear bumper, although I seriously considered the Expedition One. You can probably sell your OEM hitch here, and open up your choices.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
What is the purpose of having a swing out tire carrier? I've googled and searched for an explanation but cannot come up with one. Can someone explain it?
Based on my experience, and I hope that more will chime in, swing out takes the weight of rear tire off door hinges, and allow for larger tire to be mounted, but also Hi Lift and fuel storage.

I may have the heaviest wheel/tire combo in existence (unverified and dramatized) and I can tell the rear door assembly is suffering. Plus, I'd like to have the ability to add accessories to the swing out.

Have Expedition One on rear, as well the Gobi Ladder, and have sagging issues on rear door that were bright to light after the ladder install. I wish I had foregone the ladder for the swing out, to avoid the chronic hinge issue.

My two cents worth, but site the Guru's will offer better reasons for.

Delancy

There are a few vendors here that offer the swing out, I liked EXP One's the best, and originally was getting there's for that reason. After determining the ladder wasnt compatible, went with standard bumper, thinking I could mount accessories to ladder. I was wrong.

Reactions: asnobody

·
fka Silverheels
128 Posts
I am not sure which is the best, but I just bought a used Warn rear bunper off Craigs List for a a hundred bucks:rofl:. At that price, I think it is the best.:clap: Good Luck finding one that works for you.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I installed my ARB rear bumper yesterday. It would have been really easy, but my auxiliary fuel tank complicated the install a bit. ARBs receiver hitch bolts through the bumper into the frame using the same mounting points as the factory receiver. It costs $100, and you can sell your OEM receiver for close to that. The bumper is nice and stout, which is motivating me to consider selling my FabFours front bumper and replace with an ARB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought the Warn rear bumper. 823.00 shipped. The guy above who got it for 100.00 of CL awesome deal!! I went warn b/c it keeps the factory hitch, and looked I thought the best. LOD and Demello were next on my list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts